+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Deadline for permanent settlement

Berty3000

Star Member
Jan 17, 2017
Hi,

I was granted PR in June 2017. I have since done the soft landing and got my PR card. Am I right in thinking I have until June 2020 to settle properly?

My card does not expire until September 2022. Does this mean I could go and settle some time after June 2020 as long as I stay for two years, to keep my PR alive?

Many thanks
Robert

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

I was granted PR in June 2017. I have since done the soft landing and got my PR card. Am I right in thinking I have until June 2020 to settle properly?

My card does not expire until September 2022. Does this mean I could go and settle some time after June 2020 as long as I stay for two years, to keep my PR alive?

Many thanks
Robert
Yes - you have until June 2020 and would then have to stay in Canada for two years straight.

However coming back in June 2020 is a very bad plan since that leaves you no time to spend outside of Canada during the next two years due to family emergency, or vacation, or travel for work. Strongly recommended that you return a number of months earlier.

Berty3000

Star Member
Jan 17, 2017
Thanks scylla.

Supposing I arrive a year later, in June 2021, still with a valid pr card, but four years into my five year allowance, and then stay for two years... would that allow me to get an extension or will I just be considered to have lost my PR regardless?

Also, supposing I lose my PR, do I have to start all over again to get PR again? Would I get any credit for having received it before?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Thanks scylla.

Supposing I arrive a year later, in June 2021, still with a valid pr card, but four years into my five year allowance, and then stay for two years... would that allow me to get an extension or will I just be considered to have lost my PR regardless?

Also, supposing I lose my PR, do I have to start all over again to get PR again? Would I get any credit for having received it before?
1. If you aren't reported on entry, then you would have to remain continuously for 2 years to maintain your PR
2. If you you lose your PR status, then you start from scratch again, you get no credit

canvan14

May 8, 2014
1. Even if you don't get reported, you have to live for at least a year with an expired PR card. This will give you problems if you try use it as an ID or somehow get involved with IRCC.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
1. Even if you don't get reported, you have to live for at least a year with an expired PR card. This will give you problems if you try use it as an ID or somehow get involved with IRCC.
No issue with living in Canada with an expired PR card. You can’t sponsor anyone if you aren’t compliant with your RO and you can’t enter by air without a valid PR or PRTD.

canvan14

May 8, 2014
Well, the law might not explicitly say so but your expired PR card can also get denied as being invalid.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Well, the law might not explicitly say so but your expired PR card can also get denied as being invalid.
PR card is only needed for entering Canada. Yes it can be an issue if you need to get a new health card or drivers license in Canada but won’t get you in trouble. Use another form of ID. Best thing would be to always meet your RO.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
The fact that a PR card has expired has NO impact, none whatsoever, on a PR's status.

An expired PR card should not cause any problems in transactions with IRCC. They can and will easily verify a PR's status. As others have said, there is no requirement to have a currently valid PR card . . . and NOT even for entering Canada. A PR has a statutory right, which the law considers a "privilege," to enter Canada, no need for any particular document, just sufficient proof to establish identity and status, and either a CoPR or an expired PR card in conjunction with a passport is sufficient for this, and indeed just a passport establishing identity will work but might involve some time waiting in Secondary for CBSA to verify status. (A valid PR card will probably make border crossing easier, but it is NOT required.)

A valid PR card is mostly needed to obtain permission to board a flight headed to Canada from abroad.

Technically the PR card is not supposed to be "ID," but as I recall some provincial offices will consider it as such.

Depends on what the PR is using it for. Some provinces will recognize an expired PR card as valid proof of STATUS. I forget the time period, but Ontario, for example, explicitly recognizes expired PR cards as proof of status when renewing a health card or drivers license, for up to three years as I recall. (That said, I have never been asked for proof of status when renewing either, and it was only after I last renewed my OHIP card that I noticed they still have me listed as a Permanent Resident even though I have been a citizen for more than five years. I will try to remember to get it changed the next time.)

canvan14

May 8, 2014
PR card is only needed for entering Canada. Yes it can be an issue if you need to get a new health card or drivers license in Canada but won’t get you in trouble. Use another form of ID. Best thing would be to always meet your RO.
Unfortunately, one doesn't have much choices. As far as I know, only driver license, passport (not expired), PR card will be accepted. Even health card is denied now and I encountered that problem multiple times. I myself only have driver license to be considered as an ID. If they need two, then my only choice is my passport.
Like you said, there will be issue when trying to renew driver license or health card. Why risk it?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unfortunately, one doesn't have much choices. As far as I know, only driver license, passport (not expired), PR card will be accepted. Even health card is denied now and I encountered that problem multiple times. I myself only have driver license to be considered as an ID. If they need two, then my only choice is my passport.
Like you said, there will be issue when trying to renew driver license or health card. Why risk it?
Not sure what province you live in but health card with picture ID is an accepted form of ID. Did recommend they comply with RO but they won’t get in trouble with an expired PR card.