App. Filed.......
18/07/2013
AOR Received.
21/08/2013
Med's Done....
02/11/2013 + Renewed after 1 year by CIC
Interview........
06/08/2014
My common-law partner and I are a little unsure on what date we should submit on form IMM 1344 (Application to Sponsor). I've done my poking around and found out through the amazing help of this forum that it's the date you've STARTED your Common-Law relationship (whether that be when you moved in with each other, OR the date you started considering yourself a couple after already living together for a period of time), but... we have a unique situation.

I moved to be with him in July of 2011, and lived with him in the same room, in the same house for a few months before we moved closer to the main city in November of 2011. Normally we would put July of 2011 as our Common-Law relationship start date, right?

Except... we hadn't signed a lease, and we weren't paying a set amount of rent inbetween July and November. We were staying in his mother's house while he went to school and I worked. It took us until November to find our "own" place, as there aren't many options where we're located.

So, even though from July ~ November 2011 we weren't living in a space that was considered "ours", would we still put July as the start date for our Common-Law relationship? I feel like it would sound fishy if they end up asking us about how we came together, and after putting the date on the form as November, I say, "Well actually, we technically moved in together in July..."

Thanks in advance for the help.

MadeInCanada

Oct 15, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Cairo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-12-2012
File Transfer...
23-01-2013
Med's Done....
18-10-2012
Interview........
26-05-2013
Passport Req..
27-05-2013
VISA ISSUED...
18-06-2013
LANDED..........
July 1st 2013
Either way you have the 12 months required. I would say write November, and then in a letter you can say that you were unsure if the other months would be sufficient, as you had no combined bills and or rental agreement. Also, you could possibly have your mom write a letter verifying that you did live with her as a couple during that time. Just as an "extra" confirmation that what your saying is true.

Just my opinion though, hope it helps!

There are many other members that can give more advice too.(hopefully they will)

Take Care
MadeInCanada

jarry96

Star Member
Jan 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 17, 2012
AOR Received.
October 3, 2012
File Transfer...
October 4, 2012
Med's Done....
July 4, 2012
Passport Req..
April 26, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
April 29, 2013
Oi said:
My common-law partner and I are a little unsure on what date we should submit on form IMM 1344 (Application to Sponsor). I've done my poking around and found out through the amazing help of this forum that it's the date you've STARTED your Common-Law relationship (whether that be when you moved in with each other, OR the date you started considering yourself a couple after already living together for a period of time), but... we have a unique situation.
Actually the date you enter into a common-law relationship is the date your status officially changed from being single to common-law, not the date you started living together. Therefore, the answer to Que. 8b would be the date on which you accumulated one year of living together as a couple.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Oi said:
I've done my poking around and found out through the amazing help of this forum that it's the date you've STARTED your Common-Law relationship (whether that be when you moved in with each other, OR the date you started considering yourself a couple after already living together for a period of time), but... we have a unique situation.
Not sure why you would think this, as it's copletely wrong!! Make sure you read the guide as it explains this quite clearly: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/3900ETOC.asp
Enter the date (year, month, day) you were married or you entered into your current common-law relationship.
Note: This is the date your status officially changed from being single to common-law, not the date you started living together.

You can definitely use the time living together in a parents house. Since there is a lack of a signed lease, you would definitely require a signed declaration from his mom stating you were indeed living there as a couple in the same room and the dates.

Oi

Jan 25, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18/07/2013
AOR Received.
21/08/2013
Med's Done....
02/11/2013 + Renewed after 1 year by CIC
Interview........
06/08/2014
[quote author=Rob_TO]
Not sure why you would think this, as it's copletely wrong!! Make sure you read the guide as it explains this quite clearly:
Enter the date (year, month, day) you were married or you entered into your current common-law relationship.
Note: This is the date your status officially changed from being single to common-law, not the date you started living together.

[/quote]

[quote author=jarry96]Actually the date you enter into a common-law relationship is the date your status officially changed from being single to common-law, not the date you started living together. Therefore, the answer to Que. 8b would be the date on which you accumulated one year of living together as a couple.[/quote]

What? Really? The thread I had been referencing had a poster that was able to contact a call center supervisor, and was told that the definition of "enter date" is the date you started it, ie, started living together. I'm glad you showed me this, though! Not sure how I missed it... Feel a little silly now, but thank you both very much. I'll follow that definition instead.

[quote author=MadeInCanada]
Either way you have the 12 months required. I would say write November, and then in a letter you can say that you were unsure if the other months would be sufficient, as you had no combined bills and or rental agreement. Also, you could possibly have your mom write a letter verifying that you did live with her as a couple during that time. Just as an "extra" confirmation that what your saying is true.
[/quote]

I didn't think of including a letter explaining the details, so that's a good idea... Thank you for the suggestion!

Harju

Star Member
Apr 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Seoul
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/09/2010
AOR Received.
25/10/2010
Passport Req..
02/11/2011
VISA ISSUED...
28/11/2011
LANDED..........
31/12/2011
Practically it doesn't matter what date you put as long as you provide evidence of one year of cohabitation before date of applying for PR. Although I would agree that it is the date you actually obtain C/L status, at the time we filed I didn't give this question any special thought and put the date that we moved in together. Our PR worked out just fine.

LeisaP

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
January 18, 2012
Doc's Request.
ARC requested Sept 28,2012 ARC sent October 18,2012... RCMP Sent Dec 17,2012. Additional court documents sent March 25, 2013.
AOR Received.
Never
File Transfer...
April 5, 2012
Med's Request
First medical March 2011, REDO Medical July 30, 2012
Med's Done....
August 16, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 7, 2013
VISA ISSUED...
May 27, 2013
LANDED..........
May 30, 2013
for ours we applied common-law

we lived together for 6 months ebfore actually getting a lease in our name and moving into a new place.
the problem was for those 6 months prior there wasn't much proof cuz I was living at his place with no proof like mail or w.e and than we moved into a friends place for 2 months while we looked for our own apartment. so we didn't think we had enough evidence to prove for this 6 months rather than just personal letters from the people we lived with.

so when we signed our lease for our own apartment dec 1, 2010, on dec 1, 2011 we went to the notary and signed our declaration and according to them and our consultant dec 1, 2011 would be the day we entered into the common-law relationship

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Harju said:
Practically it doesn't matter what date you put as long as you provide evidence of one year of cohabitation before date of applying for PR. Although I would agree that it is the date you actually obtain C/L status, at the time we filed I didn't give this question any special thought and put the date that we moved in together. Our PR worked out just fine.
You should fill out the forms the correct way. Just because some people are lucky that they've made errors in the forms yet the VO didn't mind or just skipped over the question, doesn't mean all VOs will. If someone is unlucky then putting in the wrong info on when they entered common-law relationship, could result in delays if the VO wants it clarified.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Oi said:
What? Really? The thread I had been referencing had a poster that was able to contact a call center supervisor, and was told that the definition of "enter date" is the date you started it, ie, started living together. I'm glad you showed me this, though! Not sure how I missed it... Feel a little silly now, but thank you both very much. I'll follow that definition instead.
This is why it is important to be very closely following the guide as you fill in each form. The definition for that is actually stated quite prominently in a blue box outlined in red, right underneath the question.

I know myself how invaluable this forum is but always refer to the guide first. Then if you are still unclear, come here to ask and someone will have the answer :)