+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
So I am planning to do this in one day next week (maybe Thursday).
Got ITN, Title, Lien release letter and recall clearance letter.
I will go to CBP for exporting in the morning around 9 and then go to CBSA for importing. Hopefully by noon, will be free from CBSA and then go to Canadian tire for RIV and safety inspection certificate. After that, I will proceed to Service Ontario for ON plates.

Now, I will not have ON license (it will come in Feb) and will be doing all this using Michigan license. So, will it be fine to have MI license for few days even after getting ON plates?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
So I am planning to do this in one day next week (maybe Thursday).
Got ITN, Title, Lien release letter and recall clearance letter.
I will go to CBP for exporting in the morning around 9 and then go to CBSA for importing. Hopefully by noon, will be free from CBSA and then go to Canadian tire for RIV and safety inspection certificate. After that, I will proceed to Service Ontario for ON plates.

1. Now, I will not have ON license (it will come in Feb) and will be doing all this using Michigan license. So, will it be fine to have MI license for few days even after getting ON plates?
1. You cant get car insurance without ON license. So you will have your license first before you register your car. So your scenario wont happen. Even if it does, everyone knows and understands at the border that you are in process of moving hence you have ON license with MI plates. Its not a problem for any combination of residence and plates. Its all of commuters go through the same. Nothing different you are going to go through differently than others.

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
1. You cant get car insurance without ON license. So you will have your license first before you register your car. So your scenario wont happen. Even if it does, everyone knows and understands at the border that you are in process of moving hence you have ON license with MI plates. Its not a problem for any combination of residence and plates. Its all of commuters go through the same. Nothing different you are going to go through differently than others.
I see your point.
So, getting ON plate is possible only after we get the ON license.
Makes sense now. I will proceed accordingly.

By the way any suggestion for cheap first time Auto and Home insurance providers?
I am getting Allstate and CIBC auto quote for crazy around $210 a month. Is that normal or can we get better than that?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I see your point.
So, getting ON plate is possible only after we get the ON license.
Makes sense now. I will proceed accordingly.

1. By the way any suggestion for cheap first time Auto and Home insurance providers?
2. I am getting Allstate and CIBC auto quote for crazy around $210 a month. Is that normal or can we get better than that?
1. Not much till you get local experience as all will quote high for first timers.
2. Yes, thats the normal robbery rate in Canada for auto insurance.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Hi I have question, one of my friend was saying since 2.5 years he never been pulled over to secondary inspection with NEXUS card for daily commute , is the believable, I have NEXUS card too but I been pulled over every 3-4 months suddenly for secondary inspection but he was saying he never been pulled over , is there any problem with my info may be ?? NEXUS commuters please help me , thank you
For the 1.5 year I was pulled 2 times for the secondary (Nexus holder, dual citizen) and third time it was glitch in their system (just stayed on the parking spot a few minutes). Each time I've asked officers why, the reply was the same - it's random selection, nothing personal.

Dr kbknaidu

Jun 29, 2012
London,UK
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
BUFFALO
App. Filed.......
29th june 2011
Doc's Request.
17th july 2011
AOR Received.
1st sep 2011
IELTS Request
Sent with application
File Transfer...
May 29 2011
Med's Request
Oct 26 2013
Med's Done....
Nov 15 2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
In Process Since Jan 7th 2014
VISA ISSUED...
07-02-2014
LANDED..........
09-03-2014
For the 1.5 year I was pulled 2 times for the secondary (Nexus holder, dual citizen) and third time it was glitch in their system (just stayed on the parking spot a few minutes). Each time I've asked officers why, the reply was the same - it's random selection, nothing personal.
Ohh ok, so he must be lucky then since 2.5 years no pullover , thank you again..

rzk0006

Mar 3, 2019
Hi guys does any of you use consultant for filing cross border taxes? If you don't mind please share if you know someone as this is my first year working in US and staying in Canada on PR

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hi guys does any of you use consultant for filing cross border taxes? If you don't mind please share if you know someone as this is my first year working in US and staying in Canada on PR
Read the posts in this thread and ask your questions in those threads to make the topics segregated from one topic to another.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/taxes-payroll-working-in-us-living-in-windsor.551077/
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/taxes-payroll-working-in-us-living-in-windsor.551077/page-2
You dont need tax consultant.

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
Hi all,
I have a question about changing address. If I start living in Windsor and continue working in Detroit, do I need to update the address at USCIS by giving them some friend's address at US?
Also, do we need to notify them somehow that we are now living outside of the States but still working inside the States (if on H1B)?

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Hi all,
I have a question about changing address. If I start living in Windsor and continue working in Detroit, do I need to update the address at USCIS by giving them some friend's address at US?
Also, do we need to notify them somehow that we are now living outside of the States but still working inside the States (if on H1B)?
No need. They need to know about changes to work location through a new LCA and possible amendment. But your residence does not matter. Technically, you are entering the US every day as a fresh new entry.

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
So I got the MI license transferred to ON and also got the car insurance starting from this Friday.
Now, I am planning to do Export and import process on this friday and also get the ON plate very same day.
Can everything be done on same day?
My main concern is- On friday, once I finish importing, I will have to come back to Detroit in the evening on that day. So it is must to get the ON plate on Friday itself. Will RIV be able to finish their inspection and paperwork on the day of import it self and will service Ontario issue me ON plates right away?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
So I got the MI license transferred to ON and also got the car insurance starting from this Friday.
Now, I am planning to do Export and import process on this friday and also get the ON plate very same day.
Can everything be done on same day?
My main concern is- On friday, once I finish importing, I will have to come back to Detroit in the evening on that day.
1. So it is must to get the ON plate on Friday itself.
2. Will RIV be able to finish their inspection and paperwork on the day of import it self and will service Ontario issue me ON plates right away?
1. Not required and is difficult to get and most of us did not get it in one day. If asked just show the import/export documents and tell that you are in middle of the process.
2. Not required. Just get it done in few days or few weeks.
Some times they will ask on the plates but you can tell the current progress. No issues on travel at anytime for anyone on not having the plates changed on same day/week.

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
1. Not required and is difficult to get and most of us did not get it in one day. If asked just show the import/export documents and tell that you are in middle of the process.
2. Not required. Just get it done in few days or few weeks.
Some times they will ask on the plates but you can tell the current progress. No issues on travel at anytime for anyone on not having the plates changed on same day/week.
I see. So CBP understands all this difficulties.

Still, I will try to get the ON plates on the same day. Did anyone get it before on same day or atleast is it possible to get it provided we have documents from our side?

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
Hi all,

I submitted my Nexus card application around 20th December, 2019 and have not heard anything on pre approval. Online status still shows pending.
What is the current processing time?
Anybody recently got approved and know the anything about it?