+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

jgaur

Mar 23, 2023
Hello people!

I stumbled upon this forum which probably can help me figure out few things.
I'm currently working in Canada(Windsor) on a closed work permit(TRV) and my wife is working in Detroit on H1B.

1.) Can she stay with me in Windsor and travel to Detroit once in 15 days(She has a dependent visa i.e visitor visa) for Canada.

2.) If yes, what is the minimum travel frequency requirement she has to fulfill to avoid any problems with her current H1b status, will she be questioned at the border like why are u living in Canada on visitor visa and traveling frequently to US on H1B sort of?

3.) Will she need to notify the employer or get any changes done pertaining to LCA or anything else?

4.) Will she have any issues if her GC is filled in the future?

Please advice as it would help us genuinely.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello people!

I stumbled upon this forum which probably can help me figure out few things.
I'm currently working in Canada(Windsor) on a closed work permit(TRV) and my wife is working in Detroit on H1B.

1.) Can she stay with me in Windsor and travel to Detroit once in 15 days(She has a dependent visa i.e visitor visa) for Canada.

2.) If yes, what is the minimum travel frequency requirement she has to fulfill to avoid any problems with her current H1b status, will she be questioned at the border like why are u living in Canada on visitor visa and traveling frequently to US on H1B sort of?

3.) Will she need to notify the employer or get any changes done pertaining to LCA or anything else?

4.) Will she have any issues if her GC is filled in the future?

Please advice as it would help us genuinely.
I don't have all the answers but here you go:
Not very clear what close work permit you have. You wife has TRV (visitor visa) and it's not "dependent visa". Dependent visa does not exist in Canada.
She would have more issue with her working under H1B but living and working most days OUTSIDE of US. Does her company has any Canadian client or a Canadian office. If so, she cannot work in Canada for this company. For leaving Canada, there is no problem. For entering, she would be admin every time as a visitor. And if CBSA has question that she is acutally living and not visiting Canada, she could be refused entry. (so it will be a test every 15 days)

She needs to notify and get approval (likely not allowed) from her employer to work remotely from a different country.

I don't think she can apply for a green card if she is not living in US.

jgaur

Mar 23, 2023
I don't have all the answers but here you go:
Not very clear what close work permit you have. You wife has TRV (visitor visa) and it's not "dependent visa". Dependent visa does not exist in Canada.
She would have more issue with her working under H1B but living and working most days OUTSIDE of US. Does her company has any Canadian client or a Canadian office. If so, she cannot work in Canada for this company. For leaving Canada, there is no problem. For entering, she would be admin every time as a visitor. And if CBSA has question that she is acutally living and not visiting Canada, she could be refused entry. (so it will be a test every 15 days)

She needs to notify and get approval (likely not allowed) from her employer to work remotely from a different country.

I don't think she can apply for a green card if she is not living in US.
Hi, Thankyou for taking time to answer the queries.
1.) I'm on an ICT for 3 years.
2.) How are people living in Windsor or other border areas of Canada and commuting to USA(Detroit our case)on H1B? Because she has H1b for USA and visitor visa for Canada and we are thinking of her staying here Windsor with me
3.) Will it be helpful to help our case by applying for SOWP in Canada and she continuing working in H1B.

Ronak529

Dec 27, 2022
Hello everyone I have a question for exporting my car from US to Canada

My car is fully paid, but while checking the insurance, the quote came up around 4000-4500/year which looks extreme for me. Hence, I thought to have a car which is not fully paid and do a daily commute with a leased car.

Do you think having a car on a lease can cause any problem for daily commute? As far as I researched, a car which doesn’t have Title you cannot export

please suggest
Thanks!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

My car is fully paid, but while checking the insurance, the quote came up around 4000-4500/year which looks extreme for me. Hence, I thought to have a car which is not fully paid and do a daily commute with a leased car.

Do you think having a car on a lease can cause any problem for daily commute? As far as I researched, a car which doesn’t have Title you cannot export

please suggest
Thanks!
I don't understand your question. You need insurnace to a fully own or a leased car.
Why do you think a leased car will cost less for insurance.

Ronak529

Dec 27, 2022
I don't understand your question. You need insurnace to a fully own or a leased car.
Why do you think a leased car will cost less for insurance.
The key difference here is country not the insurance. I will get an insurance but insurance in US cost is around 100-150/month where as in Canada it is costing me around 250-300/month

Thoughts?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019

please suggest
Thanks!
Depends totally on the place where you move. If you are moving to GTA, the insurance ranges are anywhere between 250-450/month. If you are in Montreal, its between 100-180/month. It doesnt really change much with type of title you have. It depends on type of car you drive.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
The key difference here is country not the insurance. I will get an insurance but insurance in US cost is around 100-150/month where as in Canada it is costing me around 250-300/month

Thoughts?
Will you US insurance company cover any accident if they found out that you actually live in Canada?
You need to know the fine print.

So your question isn't about owning or leasing but to insurnace your car in Canada or in US.

Ronak529

Dec 27, 2022
Will you US insurance company cover any accident if they found out that you actually live in Canada?
You need to know the fine print.

So your question isn't about owning or leasing but to insurnace your car in Canada or in US.
That is one way to look at. Getting back to original question, so do you have any idea on exporting a car if it’s on a lease. If I cannot then I am planning to keep the registration and insurance US side. Thanks

Ronak529

Dec 27, 2022
Depends totally on the place where you move. If you are moving to GTA, the insurance ranges are anywhere between 250-450/month. If you are in Montreal, its between 100-180/month. It doesnt really change much with type of title you have. It depends on type of car you drive.
Yes but if you don’t have title as it’s a leased car, will I be able to export? If I am not able to export then will a daily commute be a problem?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
That is one way to look at. Getting back to original question, so do you have any idea on exporting a car if it’s on a lease. If I cannot then I am planning to keep the registration and insurance US side. Thanks
I don't believe you can export a leased car. As you said, you do not have the title.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Reactions: Ronak529

mayple

Star Member
Dec 30, 2017
Anyone here has already filed their taxes for 2022? I had some questions/clarifications -
1. What forms did you file on the US side: 1040 or 1040NR (and whatever other supporting forms)
2. Any 8833 form?
3. Schedule OI?
4. Forms on Canadian side
Thanks