+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

darshuvisa

Star Member
Dec 3, 2020
Yes, as I told I will be using tunnel bus instead of my car to cross the border.

I don't have a valid reason in my case unless I can say them that my car is under financing from past one year and I don't have the huge amount to clear that balance at a time, so I need some time to clear that balance.
Hi there!!
Did u ever travel via bus to US from Windsor. Can u share experience from perspective of the questions asked by the officials at US side

NeoJ

Star Member
May 6, 2020
Yes it will work. If you are coming back to Canada within 24 hrs it will be counted as a day resided in Canada.
But, still there are some backdrops. You need to pay taxes in both the countries.
' If you are coming back to Canada within 24 hrs it will be counted as a day resided in Canada.' -- may I know the law clause specifically mention art this? Many thx!

AayushiUSCAN

Jan 3, 2023
Hi everyone. I am planning to do the daily commute. Do you think there would be problem under below conditions:

1) I have work from home so planning to do amendment for Buffalo’s home address (which will be remote). Will there be any problem at the border as I am committing daily but still a home location? (My company doesn’t allow to work out of US)

2) I don’t have stamping done so planning to use AVR. Do you see any red flags?

3) will I be able to get nexus without Stamping?

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
Hi everyone. I am planning to do the daily commute. Do you think there would be problem under below conditions:

1) I have work from home so planning to do amendment for Buffalo’s home address (which will be remote). Will there be any problem at the border as I am committing daily but still a home location? (My company doesn’t allow to work out of US)

2) I don’t have stamping done so planning to use AVR. Do you see any red flags?

3) will I be able to get nexus without Stamping?
no issues for 1,2. CBP usually asks where you are going. Just respond them that 'you are going to work for <your-employer-name>' every time and don't volunteer any other information unless asked. As always, keep your LCA and employment letter stating your work location handy. 99% of the time they don't look in to them, but they just make you feel better and confident.

For nexus, you definitely need valid visa at the time of applying as the nexus application asks for visa number under that documents that you have to prove that you can enter US. Anyways people are not getting Nexus approved these days as the timeline is 12-24 months. So even if you have valid visa and apply, you are looking at 1-2 years for any update on your application.

AayushiUSCAN

Jan 3, 2023
no issues for 1,2. CBP usually asks where you are going. Just respond them that 'you are going to work for <your-employer-name>' every time and don't volunteer any other information unless asked. As always, keep your LCA and employment letter stating your work location handy. 99% of the time they don't look in to them, but they just make you feel better and confident.

For nexus, you definitely need valid visa at the time of applying as the nexus application asks for visa number under that documents that you have to prove that you can enter US. Anyways people are not getting Nexus approved these days as the timeline is 12-24 months. So even if you have valid visa and apply, you are looking at 1-2 years for any update on your application.
Thank you. Having said that if I have upcoming planned pregnancy and I deliver my baby in US. Will this impact while I apply for Canadian passport? I read in post where “canadian ties” is floating on surface so wanted to see what are my options

AayushiUSCAN

Jan 3, 2023
Thank you!! Any other things which I should consider before moving
- I am planning to change the car plate and license
- Planning to drive uhaul cross country
- Have 2 homes 1 for Canada 1 for US
- Will stamp when I get an appointment
- Have records of entry and exit and keep receipts handy while applying citizenship
Please add anything which I am missing. I am worried how this all move will go but this community is my inspiration. Thank you all!!

spikyshotgun

Jul 26, 2020
Thank you!! Any other things which I should consider before moving
- Have records of entry and exit and keep receipts handy while applying citizenship
Please add anything which I am missing. I am worried how this all move will go but this community is my inspiration. Thank you all!!
The sooner you get a Canadian license plate for your car, the better it will be. When I started the commute, the number of questions from the officers went down significantly once I got the Canadian plate.
No issues with Uhaul. I took my stuff over in Uhaul as well.
I just have 1 home for Canada
Consider setting up an account on the physical presence calculator website and update it every week with your trips. Will make it easier when applying for citizenship.

Make sure you have a signed lease agreement with your and spouse name on it. Will make it easier in opening bank accounts, Ohip cards etc

Reactions: AayushiUSCAN

AayushiUSCAN

Jan 3, 2023
The sooner you get a Canadian license plate for your car, the better it will be. When I started the commute, the number of questions from the officers went down significantly once I got the Canadian plate.
No issues with Uhaul. I took my stuff over in Uhaul as well.
I just have 1 home for Canada
Consider setting up an account on the physical presence calculator website and update it every week with your trips. Will make it easier when applying for citizenship.

Make sure you have a signed lease agreement with your and spouse name on it. Will make it easier in opening bank accounts, Ohip cards etc
Thank you. I am planning to continue my US health insurance. Having said that will OHIP card still required? I heard Canada healthcare has long wait time so was to weigh the benefit of any additional tax I have to pay

by the any if anyone commuting at Buffalo please let me know

any application where I can track border wait time?

also how do I create an account on “account on the physical presence calculator website”. Please share link if possible

one last question: the wait time to get passport is around 24 months. Once I submit my application can I come back to US and wait until ceremony?

Last edited:

spikyshotgun

Jul 26, 2020
Thank you. I am planning to continue my US health insurance. Having said that will OHIP card still required? I heard Canada healthcare has long wait time so was to weigh the benefit of any additional tax I have to pay

also how do I create an account on “account on the physical presence calculator website”. Please share link if possible

one last question: the wait time to get passport is around 24 months. Once I submit my application can I come back to US and wait until ceremony?

You still need your OHIP card in case you have an emergency and need to go to the ER or need to get an immunization. In some cases, it can also double up as an ID card. Moreover, it's completely free, so no reason to not get it. I am also maintaining my US health insurance.

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/border-times-us

https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do

No idea.

Reactions: AayushiUSCAN