+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

missedTheGCBus

Star Member
Sep 8, 2022
For those who are doing Windsor -> Detroit daily/regular commute, do you also have an address in Detroit for USCIS/office purposes or do you provide your Windsor address only?

P.shar1

Dec 5, 2022
I saw one of the previous posts which states that there may be an impact on the Green Card Application if we travel frequently between US and Canada. How true is it? I am planning to start daily commute between Windsor and Detroit and my PERM is yet to be in initiated (might initiate after a month or two). Has anyone been through this situation where they started to travel while the PERM and I-140 were yet to be approved?

P.shar1

Dec 5, 2022
If you are working in Detroit downtown, cheapest way is to do bus commute from Windsor to Detroit

Monthly pass is for 94 cad only, which will also help us at the time of filing candian tax.

We also don't need to pay toll fees when you are traveling through bus.
Usually if you are doing daily commute through car you need to spend approx 300 dollars on toll fees
How often does secondary inspection happens when traveling through bus? If it takes longer, chances would be that you may miss the bus right?

P.shar1

Dec 5, 2022
Hi all, I'll post a few things that might help you all out:
1. Regarding car, spend the $ to get a Canadian car otherwise you will get hassled by the border agents while entering Canada back saying you are a Canadian resident. Yes everyone knows that US has cheaper cars. As a "resident" you are expected to transfer your drivers license and get a car into that country. From your US license, its very simple to get a Canadian license, just make sure you have your drivers history. Also the US license does NOT get automatically cancelled, you may keep it active but are expected to only have one active. For a while, I had both a US and Canadian car and auto insurances in each countries because the border agents gave me such a hard time. This may not be kosher with the authorities.
2. Nexus is easy, get it. Takes a while. Make sure when you go to your interview that you can make your case. Apply online.
3. Daily commuters will eventually get recognized by border agents. It will make life simple. I-94s and CBSA travel histories may not reflect it, but the border agent will know you crossed yesterday and day before and so on.
4. You will have to file US taxes primarily. Claim it on your Canadian. Also remember to claim medicare/ss and other deductions. You don't have to pay double taxes. In my case in the last 7-8 years I double filed, it came out to be around $500-$1000 that I had to pay in Canada. Also claiming it will give you RRSP room for contribution. For simplicity, either don't contribute to 401k, or don't plan to bring it back anytime soon.
5. Regarding state taxes, best to either keep it at the border state you cross into, or at the office address. You don't need to cross every day if you don't have an office. But you can easily get a shared office space or regus meeting room and use it.
6. There are many many mail forwarding options. Better to just use mailrooms and pickup when locally there.
7. You can decline US health insurance. Get Canadian provincial health insurance.
8. Be ok with the fact that all of this may impact your green card application, if you care too much about that, don't move to Canada.
9. If you are planning to get Canadian citizenship, you will be heavily heavily scrutinized for all of this. It's not like the PR situation, someone will look at your file and question you about what good you are doing for Canada. If you don't really live in Canada, don't work in Canada, pay decent taxes etc. your case will be a lot weaker. For PR renewals, as long as you meet residency requirements, no one cares about the other aspects.
10. Border agents will often scrutinize you if you are away for extended periods. Even though CIC says 2/5 years as requirement, they will ask you a million questions if you are out for 6 months or 1 year. For them, anything more than 3-6 months is questionable. If you are extremely worried, take the Amtrak, the agents don't always check your travel history on it.
11. Getting to establish a Canadian credit history will be way harder than you think since you may have reportable income, but no employers who report to your credit file. Now if you want to buy a house, you may want to do so in Canada. So it becomes a Catch 22.
12. TD Canada and TD USA are not the same. They don't talk to each other. The only cross border bank that I have seen is HSBC, but they are a crappy bank to begin with.

Ok now, if you guys find a good tax accountant, let me know.
Hi, thanks for the detailed insight. How would the daily commute affect the Green Card application? In my case, my PERM is going to be filed in a month or two. Does daily commute between Windsor and Detroit have affect on my future PERM and I-140 applications? Please suggest.

Mar 10, 2021
Hello all,

i am a Canadian PR. I recently got interviewed in US. Employer is ready to help in work permit in US.Anyone please guide me the catagory i should apply and process to apply.

i am working in Plastics(Injection Molding) and the job title is Process Technician.

Ronak529

Dec 27, 2022
Hello everyone and thank you sharing your experiences here. I am planning to commute from June 2023 onwards and here are my questions

1) both me and my wife have work from home . we are planning to rent a home in US border (either of us do not have office at Buffalo) and work from there 9-5 M to F. Will there be any problem in amendment and at the border?

2) my perm is under the process applied in Nov 2022 so most likely it will be approved by June and i140 by premium. IF not approved will there be any problem for daily commute

3) I don’t have stamping is it mandatory to have stamping for daily commute?

4)I have Canadian PR and H1B, am I eligible for Nexus pass?

5) Should I transfer my Car to Canada as I need to show strong ties towards Canada to acquire passport?

I highly appreciate your time to read my post and providing your valuable feedback

Last edited:

CanucksRajiv

Star Member
Mar 5, 2019
Hello everyone and thank you sharing your experiences here. I am planning to commute from June 2023 onwards and here are my questions

1) both me and my wife have work from home . we are planning to rent a home in US border (either of us do not have office at Buffalo) and work from there 9-5 M to F. Will there be any problem in amendment and at the border?

2) my perm is under the process applied in Nov 2022 so most likely it will be approved by June and i140 by premium. IF not approved will there be any problem for daily commute

3) I don’t have stamping is it mandatory to have stamping for daily commute?

4)I have Canadian PR and H1B, am I eligible for Nexus pass?

5) Should I transfer my Car to Canada as I need to show strong ties towards Canada to acquire passport?

I highly appreciate your time to read my post and providing your valuable feedback
1. No
2. PERM is non issue during traveling. You should be in US when you file I140
3. No. You can always use AVR if you have spend less than 30 days in Canada
4. For nexus you need stamping if you have that then you can apply for Nexus. Current wait times are more than a year
5. Yes

Reactions: Ronak529

Ronak529

Dec 27, 2022
1. No
2. PERM is non issue during traveling. You should be in US when you file I140
3. No. You can always use AVR if you have spend less than 30 days in Canada
4. For nexus you need stamping if you have that then you can apply for Nexus. Current wait times are more than a year
5. Yes
thank you for your reply. Will there be any problem for acquiring Canadian passport in future? Also for the amendment if not approved and under process do can I still travel?
and also when my i140 is filled only that time I have to stay in US or until it’s approved I need to stay in Canada?

Ronak529

Dec 27, 2022
hello
When I enter to Canada my AVR starts which is for 30 days. So can I fly from Canada to India and come back within 30 days and continue communicating as usual? Do you see any red flags?
the reason beside this is to avoid stamping hassle

Ronak529

Dec 27, 2022
thank you for your reply. Will there be any problem for acquiring Canadian passport in future? Also for the amendment if not approved and under process do can I still travel?
and also when my i140 is filled only that time I have to stay in US or until it’s approved I need to stay in Canada?
Hi any update on this please?