+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

ca_hopeful

Star Member
Apr 13, 2017
Hi,
If I choose to work in the US by commuting daily do I need to get any documentation from my company that I will need to provide to CRA to show that I'm commuting daily?

Thanks

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
Hi,
If I choose to work in the US by commuting daily do I need to get any documentation from my company that I will need to provide to CRA to show that I'm commuting daily?

Thanks
You meant CRA or CBSA? CBSA doesn't require any document from anyone. Just tell them you travel to USA to work and plan to travel at whatever schedule you are intending to travel.

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
Based on travel pattern and also whether job could be done remotely. When crossing borders yes Canada can restrict movements depending on your status, give out fines, require that people working in the US quarantine, etc. The goal is to limit how many people travel. If you are only travelling once a week or month it is possible that you may be asked if your travel is necessary or whether it can be done remotely.
I traveled to US yesterday for work for a day after a month. I was exempted from quarantine as well as from tests despite telling the officer that I work as software engineer. All they check if the trip was essential or not. Traveling to work is an essential for a person. I suggest not to scare people with your posts on this subject. If people need to travel to work, they need to travel. Period. CBSA understands this and that's why they don't ask things like if it's not possible to work remote blah blah blah. Based on talking to people in Windsor, nobody was ever asked anything on their profession in all of this pandemic.

Reactions: VOBuckeye

ca_hopeful

Star Member
Apr 13, 2017
You meant CRA or CBSA? CBSA doesn't require any document from anyone. Just tell them you travel to USA to work and plan to travel at whatever schedule you are intending to travel.
I meant CRA itself. I know there are tax implications when being a commuter worker. So my question is what proof do we need to show them to prove that we commuted for work and not worked from home(in Canada on US payroll).

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
I meant CRA itself. I know there are tax implications when being a commuter worker. So my question is what proof do we need to show them to prove that we commuted for work and not worked from home(in Canada on US payroll).
they have access to your travel records. CBSA shares it couple of agencies, and one of them is CRA. You don't have to submit anything as far as I know.

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
Hi all,
Does anyone know if someone's parents recently landed in Detroit (or similar airport) from India and then came to Canada on visitor visa via land border and only were asked to home quarantine?
Please share here if anyone knows similar situation.
Thanks.

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
Hi all,
Does anyone know if someone's parents recently landed in Detroit (or similar airport) from India and then came to Canada on visitor visa via land border and only were asked to home quarantine?
Please share here if anyone knows similar situation.
Thanks.
Isn't only Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents allowed to enter Canada via land border? In any case, they will be asked to home quarantine, since they are travelling from 'USA'.

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
Isn't only Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents allowed to enter Canada via land border? In any case, they will be asked to home quarantine, since they are travelling from 'USA'.
Yeah that is correct. But I think immediate family members (parents) of Canadian PR or Citizens are also allowed (even via land border).
Agree, that they will be asked to home quarantine. Just wanted to see if anyone had similar experience.

Let me ask that same question to border agent today when I go back home. Maybe they will clarify.

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
So I asked the CBSA agent about parents on visitor visa coming to Windsor via Tunnel/Bridge. He mentioned that they need to have COVID test report (within 72 hours of travel) and then they have to home quarantine for 14 days.
That means immediate family members of Canadian PR/Citizen can come to Canada even via land border.

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
So I asked the CBSA agent about parents on visitor visa coming to Windsor via Tunnel/Bridge. He mentioned that they need to have COVID test report (within 72 hours of travel) and then they have to home quarantine for 14 days.
That means immediate family members of Canadian PR/Citizen can come to Canada even via land border.
Oh, okay. Thats good to know. Wasn't aware about this. Thanks for sharing the information.

May 28, 2019
Does any one know how many laptops i can carry across the land border crossing from us to canada? i have 4 laptops - 2 personal and 2 work laptops. Is there any restriction?

Nilesh_ielts

Aug 16, 2018
Hi Guys,

I have Canadian PR and I am not eligible for Nexus Card. I will be getting H1B Visa soon(currently I am in India). My plan is to live in Windsor and travel to work to Detroit for work. My question is does the passport needs to be stamped on every travel.

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
Hi All,
I just logged into Nexus portal and saw that there is option to have virtual interview as well. I am not able to find the link where to book this virtual interview.
This is how the steps appear now-
Interview
  • Attend an in-person or remote virtual interview
  • Have interview, and wait for approval
  • Activate membership card (if needed)

Does anybody know anything about how to book remote virtual interview?
Or is there any email address for Nexus team where we can ask our queries?

Thanks

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
Hi Guys,

I have Canadian PR and I am not eligible for Nexus Card. I will be getting H1B Visa soon(currently I am in India). My plan is to live in Windsor and travel to work to Detroit for work. My question is does the passport needs to be stamped on every travel.
As far as I know, during your travel between Windsor and Detroit, they will not stamp the passport. Just the i-94 gets updated regularly.