+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
Oh!. Yes, i am sure about quarantine part but regarding tests may be it would remain the same as well. When you say they might open the borders as its been too long, dont you think these measures were put in place due to up-coming spring break ! Nothing seems positive as far now because their only plan is to fine people and earn some money(also considering yesterday's draw that came out as 75 for CEC to make some money). i feel like their ideology is turning as communists.
Yeah I think it is for spring break definitely and they should monitor the number of cases after these border measures.

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
Oh!. Yes, i am sure about quarantine part but regarding tests may be it would remain the same as well. When you say they might open the borders as its been too long, dont you think these measures were put in place due to up-coming spring break ! Nothing seems positive as far now because their only plan is to fine people and earn some money(also considering yesterday's draw that came out as 75 for CEC to make some money). i feel like their ideology is turning as communists.
https://windsorstar.com/news/local-news/covid-19-testing-starting-march-4-at-windsor-border-crossings/wcm/429e52e0-8802-488c-8be7-4fdef2be3103/amp/

test requirements and land border testing likely for monthly commuters.. the article mentions whoever is exempt from quarantine currently will continue to be exempt from testing requirements. Since monthly commuters are not exempt from quarantine, it's very likely that they'll be subject to tests.

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
Just to add what I've heard from a border agent at Ambassador Bridge:
He said anyone who crosses the border for work at least 4 times per month is considered an essential worker.

It appears the negative test result won't be required for essential workers, but my work place requires that I get tested every week now anyways, so I'll always have a test result lying around

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Just to add what I've heard from a border agent at Ambassador Bridge:
He said anyone who crosses the border for work at least 4 times per month is considered an essential worker.

It appears the negative test result won't be required for essential workers, but my work place requires that I get tested every week now anyways, so I'll always have a test result lying around
Thanks for the update from cbsa.

Flyree

Feb 15, 2021
Hi everyone,

I am very glad that I found this thread. I am in very similar situation.

I am a Canadian permanent residence cardholder and I also have a J1 visa in the US which will expire in two weeks. Due to the pandemic, I am mostly in Canada and work remotely now. I will apply for a new J1 visa next week, and once I get it, my company would ask me to relocate to the US. But my whole family lives in Canada, so I would like to commute to the US on a daily basis, luckily I live very close to the border and my company allows me to work remotely as long as the location is in the US.

However, the immigration officer in my company told me that they have to go to the US Department of the state system and modify my status daily, which they do not have the staff to do so. I read that many people actually do this type of commute every day, so I am wondering if I can only do that (without bothering my immigration officer at the company) on an H1B visa? Let's just ignore the COVID situation for simplicity.

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
Hi everyone,

I am very glad that I found this thread. I am in very similar situation.

I am a Canadian permanent residence cardholder and I also have a J1 visa in the US which will expire in two weeks. Due to the pandemic, I am mostly in Canada and work remotely now. I will apply for a new J1 visa next week, and once I get it, my company would ask me to relocate to the US. But my whole family lives in Canada, so I would like to commute to the US on a daily basis, luckily I live very close to the border and my company allows me to work remotely as long as the location is in the US.

However, the immigration officer in my company told me that they have to go to the US Department of the state system and modify my status daily, which they do not have the staff to do so. I read that many people actually do this type of commute every day, so I am wondering if I can only do that (without bothering my immigration officer at the company) on an H1B visa? Let's just ignore the COVID situation for simplicity.
@Flyree What do you mean by "modify my status daily"? I dont have to modify my status daily after crossing the border everytime (Note that I am on H1B visa, not on J1). I am not sure about the exact rules of J1 visa.

In any case, H1B visa lottery for 2022 year is coming up in 1.5 months. You could ask your employer to file H1B for you, by which you'll get rid of this requirement.

Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
These measures were put into place because of the variants and because there was too much travel in and out of Canada. Would add people not following quarantine rules has also been a known problem. Wouldn't expect these rules to go away for quite a long time. There is also a lot of talk about testing essential travelers at the border now. Many essential travelers have been asking for it because in most of the US you find people acting as there is no pandemic. This is a fluid situation so there can be changes at any time.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
These measures were put into place because of the variants and because there was too much travel in and out of Canada. Would add people not following quarantine rules has also been a known problem. Wouldn't expect these rules to go away for quite a long time. There is also a lot of talk about testing essential travelers at the border now. Many essential travelers have been asking for it because in most of the US you find people acting as there is no pandemic. This is a fluid situation so there can be changes at any time.
Its not about acting as if there is no pandemic, people are getting used to it with precautions and safety measures. Bdw Covid is not going away anytime soon, so you have to live with it if not today, tomorrow or even after an year. Already enough water has flown under the bridge. May be we can talk about the different type of health care systems both US and Canada are operated on, that is the only thing they might be worried. But i still think you cannot force someone to do something without any proper reasoning or without them following it. Its more political however, how much ever we discuss it here, they keep stressing up people with unwanted measures.

Now do you think something really makes sense? "If someone is travelling once a month for a day to US and he needs to get a covid test? How will the test show up positive result for just one day? do you think that is any valid way of doing it(instead it would have beenlike if someone is outside the country for more than 4 or 5 days they need to come back with a test). And after completing 14-day quarantine also they need to go for a test itseems irrespective with what report you enter the country( dont you think its just ridiculous? if someone is really symptomatic in the 14-day period, wouldn't he really go and get it tested meanwhile? Lol. So the testing process doesn't really make any sense. They are very poorly aligned and are depressing dictating peoples lives.

https://edmontonjournal.com/business/justice-centre-suing-the-federal-government-over-requirement-for-travellers-to-quarantine-at-designated-hotels

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Its not about acting as if there is no pandemic, people are getting used to it with precautions and safety measures. Bdw Covid is not going away anytime soon, so you have to live with it if not today, tomorrow or even after an year. Already enough water has flown under the bridge. May be we can talk about the different type of health care systems both US and Canada are operated on, that is the only thing they might be worried. But i still think you cannot force someone to do something without any proper reasoning or without them following it. Its more political however, how much ever we discuss it here, they keep stressing up people with unwanted measures.

Now do you think something really makes sense? "If someone is travelling once a month for a day to US and he needs to get a covid test? How will the test show up positive result for just one day? do you think that is any valid way of doing it(instead it would have beenlike if someone is outside the country for more than 4 or 5 days they need to come back with a test). And after completing 14-day quarantine also they need to go for a test itseems irrespective with what report you enter the country( dont you think its just ridiculous? if someone is really symptomatic in the 14-day period, wouldn't he really go and get it tested meanwhile? Lol. So the testing process doesn't really make any sense. They are very poorly aligned and are depressing.

https://edmontonjournal.com/business/justice-centre-suing-the-federal-government-over-requirement-for-travellers-to-quarantine-at-designated-hotels
I pointed out that border restrictions and quarantine hotels are likely going to be around for a long time not just 2 months. There are certainly many people in the US who are not taking any precautions against covid. This is the case in Canada but to a much lesser degree. Not sure what is political. Canada is fearful that the variants will cause the 3rd wave of covid and is trying to tighten borders in order to try and open up the economy and activities within Canada. When you look at examples where the variants has been allowed to go undetected it has spread so quickly you get exponential rise in infections. Just last week UK scientists published that based on the data the UK variant appears to be 30-70% more deadly than the first strain of covid.

If someone i travelling once a month they should go straight to their quarantine location and remain there for 14 days. Truckers or others crossing the border regularly should be tested at the border if they aren't quarantining for 14 days. Covid is often asymptomatic or can be asymptomatic in the initial stages while you are contagious so not crazy to test people who are asymptomatic. Agree that all the quarantine orders don't make sense. CBSA should be verifying that daily crossers are needed in person in the US and can't work remotely, those working in the US should have to quarantine while at home and not go into the community, hotel quarantine should be for 14 days, the only visitors arriving should to prove that they have humanitarian and compassionate reasons to enter and be forced to prove that they have purchased healthcare insurance that covers covid and these rules should have been in place a long time ago. These types of controls in addition to masks and social distancing may have allowed us to avoid the amount of infections and deaths we had and may have avoided many lockdowns. Between the variants, people who will refuse to get vaccinated, countries who will not be able/have difficulty vaccinating and children who can't get vaccinated covid infection will be around for a long time.

The justice centre is an extremely far right group so don't take them too seriously. If you look at their cases they are about churches refusing to follow public health rules, fighting a province who refuses to allow the license plate "GRABHER", representing a beauty pageant who doesn't want transgendered participants, representing the march for life, fighting against any for of sex education in school, etc.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Yes I do travel daily. For daily commuters, they can't ask for negative report. I will go to Detroit tomorrow as well and come back in the evening and I will provide an update here.
To be honest, for once a month commute, they might ask. I am not sure and I do not want to spread misinformation.
3-4 weeks ago, my friend who used to travel 1 or 2 days a week for probably half day was asked to quarantine because agent didn't think it was essential. Agent said in order to be considered as essential, you should stay in US for 8 hours a day and travel 2 days a week. Maybe that is only that agent's point of view because I did not find this official anywhere on website.
So, it might be good idea to call CBSA in a week to find out what they say about once or twice a week or month work Travellers.
Can we know about your entry into Canada this week?

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
Same here. Went to MI for work Friday 2/19 and no covid test required.

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
Same here. Went to MI for work Friday 2/19 and no covid test required.
Since most of you travel on frequent basis (daily or weekly basis), you don't require tests or quarantine. You are in CBSA exempt list. It's a challenge for people who commute less frequently like monthly.. I travel once a month and every time CBSA officer tells me that since I don't travel on a weekly or daily basis, she cannot classify my travel as an essential one even though I travel for work purposes.

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
Can we know about your entry into Canada this week?
He's a daily commuter. His case is not relevant to people who commute infrequently like monthly or so.. we cannot count on these experiences. If they've asked you to quarantine you in the past, they will ask for tests as well.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
He's a daily commuter. His case is not relevant to people who commute infrequently like monthly or so.. we cannot count on these experiences. If they've asked you to quarantine you in the past, they will ask for tests as well.
True.
The worst part is the test. Let me call tomorrow to see if there is any change in rules to allow Canadian test results.