+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
Since most of you travel on frequent basis (daily or weekly basis), you don't require tests or quarantine. You are in CBSA exempt list. It's a challenge for people who commute less frequently like monthly.. I travel once a month and every time CBSA officer tells me that since I don't travel on a weekly or daily basis, she cannot classify my travel as an essential one even though I travel for work purposes.
Yes ofcourse, I forgot to mention that I travel once in a week for my lab work. Hence, they have put me in quarantine exempt list. My situation may not apply to some of you who do not travel frequently. Can you take the test in Canada before leaving for US, and showing the result from Canadian test while entering Canada back? This will greatly ease the process for you.

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019
True.
The worst part is the test. Let me call tomorrow to see if there is any change in rules to allow Canadian test results.
you could try, but I am not very positive as they clearly mention test taken in US in both CBSA and Health Canada website.. I feel they have mentioned it just to avoid people bringing tests from Canada itself.. their target is bigger fishes like snow birds who go on longer vacation, but unfortunately it is impacting people like monthly commuters who go to work too.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
you could try, but I am not very positive as they clearly mention test taken in US in both CBSA and Health Canada website.. I feel they have mentioned it just to avoid people bringing tests from Canada itself.. their target is bigger fishes like snow birds who go on longer vacation, but unfortunately it is impacting people like monthly commuters who go to work too.
Yes, they were strict last week because he was telling that "as per the text" in the rules, they would allow only US test results.

Today, they are ok to provide Canadian tests while returning back as long as the stay in US is not more than a day or two.
Now the ridiculous thing is that windsor labs charge more as well as take more time to give result hence there wont be time to travel and return back. So again no use for certain locations. I heard in Ontario its fast to get the results.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Yes, they were strict last week because he was telling that "as per the text" in the rules, they would allow only US test results.

Today, they are ok to provide Canadian tests while returning back as long as the stay in US is not more than a day or two.
Now the ridiculous thing is that windsor labs charge more as well as take more time to give result hence there wont be time to travel and return back. So again no use for certain locations. I heard in Ontario its fast to get the results.
Just spoke to Cbsa agent at champlain, quebec. I have mentioned him i will be back in the same day or two and he was like yes you need the test and it has to be taken in the US(before me asking this question, seems like many have asked this question already) and you wont be able to be back in the same day as results take 2 to 4 days. And he is not aware of the On arrival test.as some 3rd party is doing the test.

banparv

May 17, 2018
Is it OK to carry lunch from home and use the Nexus card while commuting daily from Canada to US? Or is lunch something that needs to be declared and we should go via normal custom queues when carrying lunch?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Is it OK to carry lunch from home and use the Nexus card while commuting daily from Canada to US? Or is lunch something that needs to be declared and we should go via normal custom queues when carrying lunch?
Nexus is fine but declare it because many times they have asked me if i carry lunch while going in the nexus lane.
But they might not allow fruits sometimes but declare and see if they allow.
At the worst, you may need to throw it out hence make up your mind on that. So carry lunch in plastic lunch box.

banparv

May 17, 2018
Nexus is fine but declare it because many times they have asked me if i carry lunch while going in the nexus lane.
But they might not allow fruits sometimes but declare and see if they allow.
At the worst, you may need to throw it out hence make up your mind on that. So carry lunch in plastic lunch box.
Hi - Thanks for your reply! 2 more questions pls.

1. How do I declare lunch? Is there a way I can do that online?
2. I got a new I94 after I got the Nexus card last winter. Do I need to update new I94 anywhere on the Nexus card website?

Thanks Again!

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hi - Thanks for your reply! 2 more questions pls.

1. How do I declare lunch? Is there a way I can do that online?
2. I got a new I94 after I got the Nexus card last winter. Do I need to update new I94 anywhere on the Nexus card website?

Thanks Again!
1, 2: No

When you stop at the booth. He/she will ask questions. One of the questions might be if you have anything to declare. if he has not asked then you tell that you carry lunch.

Are you traveling for the first time using Nexus? Its no different than regular lane except that you are using nexus lane.

banparv

May 17, 2018
1, 2: No

When you stop at the booth. He/she will ask questions. One of the questions might be if you have anything to declare. if he has not asked then you tell that you carry lunch.

Are you traveling for the first time using Nexus? Its no different than regular lane except that you are using nexus lane.
Yes, I travelled using the regular lane for past 2 days and have not used the Nexus lane. But I got it. It made sense when you said that Nexus lane is like the regular lane.

ca_hopeful

Star Member
Apr 13, 2017
Those who travel daily, I'm hoping someone can help me here.

1. Are you able to continue to travel daily without Covid test report? What are the questions you get from CBSA and CBP daily?
2. How did you inform CBSA that you are a daily commuter? Is there a system where we can add this information?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes ofcourse, I forgot to mention that I travel once in a week for my lab work. Hence, they have put me in quarantine exempt list. My situation may not apply to some of you who do not travel frequently. Can you take the test in Canada before leaving for US, and showing the result from Canadian test while entering Canada back? This will greatly ease the process for you.
The whole point is to try test you after being in the US so it would make no sense to have you test in Canada before you left other than wasting resources. Would clarify if going to the US once a week will be considered essential and allow you to avoid a covid test. Others don't seem to be exempt and travel once a week. It seems as they may come to a consensus after this week so things may have changed.

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
The whole point is to try test you after being in the US so it would make no sense to have you test in Canada before you left other than wasting resources. Would clarify if going to the US once a week will be considered essential and allow you to avoid a covid test. Others don't seem to be exempt and travel once a week. It seems as they may come to a consensus after this week so things may have changed.
I have been travelling to work once a week, and every time I return, the border officials explicitly specify that maintain this travel pattern to remain exempted from quarantine. I went to USA just yesterday, and returned back the same day in the evening with no hassles at the border.

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019

I suggest you to go through this where they explicitly list the conditions to be exempt..

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/border-ticket-tunnel-quarantine-act-1.5926311

It clearly says exemptions are based on travel pattern (daily or weekly) as I said before and not based on industry someone works. It's pretty much what I have been saying.. CBSA or Canadian government understands that they cannot restrict people from going to their work.. if someone says they want to go, they will have to go. Government cannot peek in on what they do for work. This covid test requirement is going to make things counterproductive. Many people who are traveling monthly might now plan to travel weekly to avoid testing in Detroit.

They should exempt anyone coming under 72 hours through land borders and test them on entry because covid tests are anyways 72 hours old someone going out from Canada could catch even after taking the test.

Reactions: AjeyaGupta

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I suggest you to go through this where they explicitly list the conditions to be exempt..

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/border-ticket-tunnel-quarantine-act-1.5926311

It clearly says exemptions are based on travel pattern (daily or weekly) as I said before and not based on industry someone works. It's pretty much what I have been saying.. CBSA or Canadian government understands that they cannot restrict people from going to their work.. if someone says they want to go, they will have to go. Government cannot peek in on what they do for work. This covid test requirement is going to make things counterproductive. Many people who are traveling monthly might now plan to travel weekly to avoid testing in Detroit.

They should exempt anyone coming under 72 hours through land borders and test them on entry because covid tests are anyways 72 hours old someone going out from Canada could catch even after taking the test.
Based on travel pattern and also whether job could be done remotely. When crossing borders yes Canada can restrict movements depending on your status, give out fines, require that people working in the US quarantine, etc. The goal is to limit how many people travel. If you are only travelling once a week or month it is possible that you may be asked if your travel is necessary or whether it can be done remotely.