+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

nvap23

Star Member
Apr 19, 2020
It looks like the US-Canada border restrictions have been extended until May 20 and Michigan might relax stay at home order by May 1. Since most people on H1B are currently working from home and in this forum likely in Windsor Canada, did any one file H1B amendment or have their LCA posted by employer or at home as mentioned in the link: https://www.am22tech.com/work-from-home-on-h1b-visa/

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018
It looks like the US-Canada border restrictions have been extended until May 20 and Michigan might relax stay at home order by May 1. Since most people on H1B are currently working from home and in this forum likely in Windsor Canada, did any one file H1B amendment or have their LCA posted by employer or at home as mentioned in the link: https://www.am22tech.com/work-from-home-on-h1b-visa/

I dont think it will be applicable when you are working from home from Windosr ( Outside USA), if you are working from home somewhere in Michigan ( or anywhere in US) this may apply

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Does anyone on this thread know if the travel restrictions are being enforced on the Windsor//Detroit CBP border?
I called the CBP # for Detroit last week and they said they would allow me to cross with an H1 visa or any work visa for that matter.

Is this true? I feel like the officer might have been misinformed ?

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Yes you are but its shelter in place in Michigan until May 1, so not sure why would you even try and cross the border.
I have no intention of staying in Michigan, just want to drive back to wrap up our place in Texas and Detroit is the closest border crossing for us.
Though I didn't get your comment, do you mean the border is open for H1 visa holders or is it not?

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Looks like next executive order from Trump likely to target non immigrants visas and it is highly likely that borders are closed for visa holders. What would the daily commuters on H1 do in this case?

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Looks like next executive order from Trump likely to target non immigrants visas and it is highly likely that borders are closed for visa holders. What would the daily commuters on H1 do in this case?
Are there daily commuters currently traveling Detroit -> Windsor ?
I thought the border was closed for non citizens except medical professionals?

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Are there daily commuters currently traveling Detroit -> Windsor ?
I thought the border was closed for non citizens except medical professionals?
Correct, assume lock downs get little relaxed within US, but they still decide to keep the borders closed. What would happen if an employer of a Detroit commuter wants them onsite or don't want them to be working 100% from Canada due to HR policy or other internal reasons.. what could be done in that situation?

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
I think road travel is closed but the air route is avaliable I guess
That is true flight travel is indeed open as per CBP office.
When I called Detroit CBP today they said they would allow H1's to cross as long as it is "for work". Previously when I had called they said only if your work is "essential".

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Looks like there are plans to cut down the entry of non immigrant visa holders.. Would it not be a challenge to this entire commuting model if things resume back to little normalcy in US, but the borders continue to be closed?

https://washingtonpost.com/immigration/stephen-miller-audio-immigration-coronavirus/2020/04/24/8eaf59ba-8631-11ea-9728-c74380d9d410_story.html

Link to by pass paywall: https://outline.com/AAGm8L
Its definitely coming, questions are :

1. When, my guess after 30 days.
2. Will it be challenged in court and will that affect its implementation to beyond the election.
3. Will it exclude existing H1B visa holders (like the current EO excluded those who had existing immigrant visas)

ustocanada49

Star Member
Jan 6, 2017
HI All,

I do believe that as of now, there is no issue for H1s to cross into US from Canada side. But, I wanted to know, if there are any issues crossing into Canada from US side, as a Canadian PR holder, not yet living in Canada but coming to make preparations for a move. You think CBSA will consider this as essential travel?

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
Hi Guys,

I started crossing border from past few days for some social distancing work in automotive manufacturing (non essential business but essential work). I am not facing any issues at Detroit or Windsor side. Its just while coming back, first time they will ask for all the details including why we went to US (they will write it down in our profile), phone number, email address, company name. After that, all these details automatically pop up when they scan our PR card.

ryeCatcher

Apr 21, 2019
Hi Guys,

I started crossing border from past few days for some social distancing work in automotive manufacturing (non essential business but essential work). I am not facing any issues at Detroit or Windsor side. Its just while coming back, first time they will ask for all the details including why we went to US (they will write it down in our profile), phone number, email address, company name. After that, all these details automatically pop up when they scan our PR card.
Thanks for the update!
Is CBP asking anything specific about your work or are they ok with you entering on H1B?