+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

vinayreddy

Star Member
Nov 10, 2019
I have no intention of staying in Michigan, just want to drive back to wrap up our place in Texas and Detroit is the closest border crossing for us.
Though I didn't get your comment, do you mean the border is open for H1 visa holders or is it not?
Hi, I am in similar situation. So far doing WFH for my US job from Oakville, ON for last two months. I need to go back to Virginia as we dont know when would next Executive Order for non-immigrant visa comes. i have talked to a CBP officer and he said H1B people can still travel for work.

Just checking whether you crossed the border?

vinayreddy

Star Member
Nov 10, 2019
Not sure what your question is but you have confirmed it with CBP and you can travel. I know some people who were deemed as essential workers and had to travel. Nit really sure what EO you are talking and how it will affect currrent H-1B's..
Hi,

i have talked CBP officer he said people on H1B can travel for work irrespecitve essential or not.

EO (Executive Order) : There was an EO in April to stop new immigrants to come in to US. No one is really sure whether it would impact H1B people.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

i have talked CBP officer he said people on H1B can travel for work irrespecitve essential or not.

EO (Executive Order) : There was an EO in April to stop new immigrants to come in to US. No one is really sure whether it would impact H1B people.
Wouldn’t trust what one CBP agent says. You may be able to get away with a trip but you’ll need to have a 14 day quarantine plan to Canada. I hope you kept your US health insurance.

Pal_1504

May 26, 2020
Hello Folks,
I am looking forward to travel to Windsor in July, 2020 and work in Detroit. Can anyone suggest me some good elementary schools in Windsor for my 5 yr. old daughter (presently studying in US in a gifted school)?I am completely new to the Canadian school system and thus seeking some help.
Thank You!

BhargavDadhaniya

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
Hello Folks,
I am looking forward to travel to Windsor in July, 2020 and work in Detroit. Can anyone suggest me some good elementary schools in Windsor for my 5 yr. old daughter (presently studying in US in a gifted school)?I am completely new to the Canadian school system and thus seeking some help.
Thank You!
Hi,
I am not the expert nor I have kids in school but from what I heard from my neighbors and others here in Windsor- Talbot trail and Roseland are pretty good and are in south Windsor which is one of the best areas to live.
Please wait for other comments.
Thanks.

Reactions: Pal_1504

Pal_1504

May 26, 2020
Hi,
I am not the expert nor I have kids in school but from what I heard from my neighbors and others here in Windsor- Talbot trail and Roseland are pretty good and are in south Windsor which is one of the best areas to live.
Please wait for other comments.
Thanks.
Thank You Bhargav!

banparv

May 17, 2018
Hi. I have to move to Windsor from Texas, US and then commute to Detroit daily for work. I have a few questions. Can you pls help me on these:
1. I just talked to CBSA. They told me the 14 days self isolation is mandatory when I and family are moving to Windsor and I will not be able to commute to Detroit during those 14 days. Is that correct?
2. They also mentioned that I will need to produce a letter from my organization in Detroit, to the border showing I need to commute from Canada to US daily so that border officers can allow me to commute daily. Did everyone who is commuting right now, have to get that letter from the employer or are there any workarounds?

Thanks!

rzk0006

Mar 3, 2019
Hello Folks,
Thank You!
From what learnt in living in Windsor for last 8 months Bellewood(French Immersion), Southwood and Talbot Trail are elementary schools to consider.I'm in the same boat as I have a 4 year old.Good luck.

Reactions: Pal_1504

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Hi. I have to move to Windsor from Texas, US and then commute to Detroit daily for work. I have a few questions. Can you pls help me on these:
1. I just talked to CBSA. They told me the 14 days self isolation is mandatory when I and family are moving to Windsor and I will not be able to commute to Detroit during those 14 days. Is that correct?
2. They also mentioned that I will need to produce a letter from my organization in Detroit, to the border showing I need to commute from Canada to US daily so that border officers can allow me to commute daily. Did everyone who is commuting right now, have to get that letter from the employer or are there any workarounds?

Thanks!
Why do you want to commute daily in this COVID situation? They are specifically asking it at this time because land borders are now open only for essential travels, traveling for employment is definitely essential, but they would want to know if your case is essential or not.

Pal_1504

May 26, 2020
From what learnt in living in Windsor for last 8 months Bellewood(French Immersion), Southwood and Talbot Trail are elementary schools to consider.I'm in the same boat as I have a 4 year old.Good luck.
Thank You! This is helpful. Since I'll be coming with my family, it'll be good to get a general idea about the place. Can I connect with you offline, if that's ok?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Why do you want to commute daily in this COVID situation? They are specifically asking it at this time because land borders are now open only for essential travels, traveling for employment is definitely essential, but they would want to know if your case is essential or not.
Wouldn’t consider travel for many jobs in Detroit essential. Unless you work in healthcare or a few other industries daily commuting is not permitted in many cases.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Thanks!
It is up to CBSA to determine if your job is considered essential work. Your employer can write the letter but not guaranteed. The border situation is also likely to change over time.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
It is up to CBSA to determine if your job is considered essential work. Your employer can write the letter but not guaranteed. The border situation is also likely to change over time.
It is guaranteed. Someone working at a manufacturing plant in Detroit is already commuting. If someone's employer wants them to come to work, it is an essential travel for that person regardless of which industry they work in. CBSA cannot overturn that. Restrictions doesn't say anything like only healthcare workers could travel or anything on those lines. Traveling for work is essential for every person.

Reactions: ryeCatcher