+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all,

I am moving to Cleveland for 1 year only as a H1-b holder. I am Canadian citizen. My wife and kids will stay in Ontario. I will be coming home monthly by plane and occasionally driving. I will drive my Ontario car to Cleveland. I’d like some advices please.

1. Should I take US drivers license? Could I use my Ontario Drivers license for one year as a H1-b holder?

2. And my car? Do I need to export and in one year time import back it? It’s only one year? Please advise.

3. I have got my nexus card. Do I have to link the H1b visa with my nexus? How does nexus and h1b status work? Do I have to show the petition everytime I cross the border and get a new I94?

Thanks a lot
You should be switching to the US drivers license, insurance and registration. Given that you are a resident for tax purposes just a friendly reminder that you’ll need to file your taxes in the US as well as Canada.

Althafshaik5

Jun 24, 2019
I am doing same on west coast...

No, Your passport will not be stamped everyday. You need to have stamped H1B along with Paper I94 ( If you dont have paper I-94, you will get it while entering by road first time when they send you in, simple process)

You can apply for Nexus here: https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/goes/jsp/login.jsp;jsessionid=HXiyMzGZFokeNFVCReXVTiuXaDG6JviDHRqy92DB6lqm6LzCtnzR!-1135677989

More information Nexus here: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/application-demande-eng.html
Hey, Do you work in Seattle and travel to vancouver? Did working remote from Canada while maintaining the h1b is not an option (If the employer allows)? Is it mandatory to commute office?

TejS

Jun 10, 2019
Are you planning to do every day. I feel it's little too much of distance for daily commute, it's a 3 hr drive one way. I have known two people who travelled frequently in past, none where daily commuters. One was nurse, she worked usually 3 days week. So she would travel Monday to Thursday. Another guy I knew did Monday to Seattle and back to Canada on Tuesday, work remote on Wednesday, again do the same for Thursday and Friday. That was his schedule for travelling weeks. But he worked remote a lot as well. Tried to keep travelling alternate weeks.
Thanks! No, I will be commuting to Bellingham from White Rock, BC

BKM99

May 2, 2019
Hello guys,

We are planning to move to Windsor later part of the next month. We need your valuable advise on properties/ area to look for to live with a good school district. I will really appreciate if someone can PM me and if we can communicate with someone in this regards.

Pls share your valuable experiences if we need to be careful about something while making a move.

Thank you!

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hello guys,

We are planning to move to Windsor later part of the next month. We need your valuable advise on properties/ area to look for to live with a good school district. I will really appreciate if someone can PM me and if we can communicate with someone in this regards.

Pls share your valuable experiences if we need to be careful about something while making a move.

Thank you!
Schools: Not sure if there is any other website but i refer this. You can try for apartment in the needed school zone. http://ontario.compareschoolrankings.org/elementary/SchoolsByRankLocationName.aspx

Notes on Driver license and Bringing Car. Also refer the ontario driver license site:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/working-remotely-from-canada-in-us-company-as-canadian-pr.558089/page-11#post-8025957

Car import: Takes few days/weeks to prepare. Title should be clear on your name before importing. If not prepared then car cant be brought over on time / when needed. Can be done while moving or after.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/exporting-a-vehicle-from-the-u-s-and-importing-into-canada-complete-step-by-step-guide.539649/

Car insurance and registration: Without driver license, mostly you wont get car insurance(per my hunting). Without insurance you cant register the car(after importing).

Last edited:

suemon

Apr 5, 2017
I am doing same on west coast...

No, Your passport will not be stamped everyday. You need to have stamped H1B along with Paper I94 ( If you dont have paper I-94, you will get it while entering by road first time when they send you in, simple process)

You can apply for Nexus here: https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/goes/jsp/login.jsp;jsessionid=HXiyMzGZFokeNFVCReXVTiuXaDG6JviDHRqy92DB6lqm6LzCtnzR!-1135677989

More information Nexus here: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/application-demande-eng.html
Thanks for the info you've posted! Do you know whether I need a valid H1B visa to apply for Nexus? I suffice all other criteria (Canada PR, US H1B worker, have stayed in US for over 6 years on F1), but have not yet applied for an H1B visa after the status change. Thanks!

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
Thanks for the info you've posted! Do you know whether I need a valid H1B visa to apply for Nexus? I suffice all other criteria (Canada PR, US H1B worker, have stayed in US for over 6 years on F1), but have not yet applied for an H1B visa after the status change. Thanks!
I think it should be OK. I had a H1B stamp from a previous company and was able to get Nexus.

sharathsam

Aug 11, 2017
Hello Everyone, I have a question regarding working from home in Canada. Can I work from home for two weeks at a time and travel to the US and work at my Client location for a week and then back to Canada while on a H1b? And Can I use AVR multiple times for traveling back and forth? Thank You.

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
Hello Everyone, I have a question regarding working from home in Canada. Can I work from home for two weeks at a time and travel to the US and work at my Client location for a week and then back to Canada while on a H1b? And Can I use AVR multiple times for traveling back and forth? Thank You.
Honestly, it will be messy and stressful for you trying to do that. Daily commute is the way to go, but again there are only places where it is practical.

sharathsam

Aug 11, 2017
Honestly, it will be messy and stressful for you trying to do that. Daily commute is the way to go, but again there are only places where it is practical.
Thank you. I was thinking of doing this for a couple of months until I find a job in Toronto. As I have my H1b until November and I dont think I can get an extension if I am working remotely out of the US for two to three weeks at a time. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

palak.pandya

Star Member
Sep 24, 2014
Have a question regarding H1b renewal for daily commuters. I have my 4th renewal coming up, however it's going to be my first after i moved to canada and started daily commute. I am guessing it won't be the same as extension of stay like my previous renewals because my residence address now has changed and is no longer an US address.

justinline

May 19, 2009
Have a question regarding H1b renewal for daily commuters. I have my 4th renewal coming up, however it's going to be my first after i moved to canada and started daily commute. I am guessing it won't be the same as extension of stay like my previous renewals because my residence address now has changed and is no longer an US address.
Extension will be different in what sense......it might so happen .....may be you dont get I94 along with the approval, as you have residential address in Canada.

justinline

May 19, 2009
Thank you. I was thinking of doing this for a couple of months until I find a job in Toronto. As I have my H1b until November and I dont think I can get an extension if I am working remotely out of the US for two to three weeks at a time. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Depending on client and job requirements you can travel weekly or alternately. Don't know how far you need to travel or where you are based. Explore all the opportunities with your current work situation. To give small example.....recently a colleague of mine moved to Manitoba after 17 years in US. Initially he was thinking he will have to resign....and no way they will allow any sort of remote work. To his surprise and mine they approved 3 weeks off and 1 week on site. Well he has worked for 10 years as well for the same organization so they were very accommodating....so really explore your options. Nothing like having a job in hand and moving to Canada.
One more thing when you negotiate such work arrangements be ahead of the curve.....as soon as my colleague got approved, I now know at least 4 others have now started their application process.

Skarme312 ....
Buddy have you moved to Windsor .....how are you finding the commute.

Last edited: