+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

BKM99

May 2, 2019
PR cards are taking less than 1 month these days (just 1-2 weeks in some cases). However, if traveling by road in your own car (or rented), you can return to Canada without PR card. Your passport and CoPR are sufficient. Moreover, you can also do a soft landing now (or earlier) in order to get PR card and make the permanent move later. Also, keep in mind that border agents on both sides are not always best informed, in the right mood etc. and some times they make trouble for daily commuters. It will be best if you have US Visa instead of relying upon AVR.
PR cards are taking less than 1 month these days (just 1-2 weeks in some cases). However, if traveling by road in your own car (or rented), you can return to Canada without PR card. Your passport and CoPR are sufficient. Moreover, you can also do a soft landing now (or earlier) in order to get PR card and make the permanent move later. Also, keep in mind that border agents on both sides are not always best informed, in the right mood etc. and some times they make trouble for daily commuters. It will be best if you have US Visa instead of relying upon AVR.
That's good to know that now it takes less time to get PR card.

The only reason I was curious about travelling with passport and CoPR is that Canada visa stamp reads 'single entry'.

Thank you for your quick response.

BKM99

May 2, 2019
Without PR card it will be few mins delay every time you enter Canada but if your work needs to be started soon then start moving as you dont need to wait for PR card and you can start accumulating the residency period without waiting for PR card as not many get chance to work in border with job. PR card is secondary when it comes to having job on border, as per my opinion. Sometime PR card doesnt even come hence relying on that will not be much helpful for road commute. You will be anyway questioned more for the first month on both sides irrelevant of having PR card / US visa due to new guy suddenly crossing everyday.

If you dont have stamped visa for US then it will be more delay every time you enter because some officers call the office inside before they decide to let you enter the country but not a big deal but its a buggy thing to deal with everyday and some officers will ask everyday on when you get new visa. Canadian side will be nice without having pr card but without valid US visa its more hassle. Do you have valid US visa?
Thanks for the reply!

Sounds like you mean (like above respose) that passport and CoPR should be enough to get back in Canada.

I currently have H1 stamped and I have h1b renewed for coming 3 years beginning mid- Sept. I plan to go to Toranto (sometime after landing) to get h1b stamped before that to avoid any complications.

Altogether, I was more worried since Canada Visa said 'single entry'. But, looks like things will change after I land initially. (?)

Anyone please correct me if I am wrong.

Also, any idea about how long does it take to receive stamped passports from Toranto after h1b stamping? As that would be the time that one can definitely not travel accross the border. Just wanted to plan accordingly.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Thanks for the reply!

1. Sounds like you mean (like above respose) that passport and CoPR should be enough to get back in Canada.

I currently have H1 stamped and I have h1b renewed for coming 3 years beginning mid- Sept. I plan to go to Toranto (sometime after landing) to get h1b stamped before that to avoid any complications.

Altogether, I was more worried since Canada Visa said 'single entry'.
2. But, looks like things will change after I land initially. (?)

3. Anyone please correct me if I am wrong.

4. Also, any idea about how long does it take to receive stamped passports from Toranto after h1b stamping? As that would be the time that one can definitely not travel accross the border. Just wanted to plan accordingly.
1. Yes COPR is your official travel document to travel via land using private owned/rented vehicles.
2. Yes because COPR and PR card will need to be used for future traveling.
3. You are correct. Start using copr - no more visa issues.
4.a: Around 10 days to get the passport back. If you are lucky then you might get it in 1 week but its difficult. Depending on the case and how busy they are, it will wary to 10+ days.
4.b: As appointment waiting time is short for residents, dont book appointments before moving to Canada. Plan for it after you move.

Apply for nexus to save some time at border.

justinline

May 19, 2009
One suggestion regarding COPR, handle with care. You will need it during citizenship ceremony. They stamp it ....something on the lines that .....holder no longer PR. I also heard you need it during claiming old age pension.

Don't laminate it as well.....that invalidates the COPR. During my oath a guy turned up with badly damaged COPR.....not sure if he was able to take oath later or not.

canadapr1982

Jul 17, 2017
Hello All,

I nominated from Saskatchewan....I hope get PR within 2 to 3 months....My first question is that Do I need to first settle in Saskatchewan only as I got nomination from Saskatchewan....Because I am on h1b and currently I am working in lansing, Michigan....Can I start from very first day up and down from windsor???? Is there any restriction for me to get settle down in other province other then that of saskatchewan??? if there is no restriction, is there any problem coming later on while filing citizenship as I am not satisfied IRCC to settle down for couple of years in Saskatchewan?? My wife she is on h4 ...while moving to windsor...do she need manintain h4 or convert visa to b1/b2??? Please reply me for my queries....I am very thankful to you guys...

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hello All,

I nominated from Saskatchewan....I hope get PR within 2 to 3 months....My first question is that

1. Do I need to first settle in Saskatchewan only as I got nomination from Saskatchewan....
Because I am on h1b and currently I am working in lansing, Michigan....
2. Can I start from very first day up and down from windsor???? Is there any restriction for me to get settle down in other province other then that of saskatchewan???
3. if there is no restriction,
4. is there any problem coming later on while filing citizenship as I am not satisfied IRCC to settle down for couple of years in Saskatchewan??
5. My wife she is on h4 ...while moving to windsor...do she need manintain h4 or convert visa to b1/b2???

Please reply me for my queries....I am very thankful to you guys...
1. First landing needs to be in that province fo be safe. To avoid issues during landing, try to finish the formalities in SK. Its not mandatory but they will ask why you land in other province and whats the intention. As the intention is supposed to be settling in SK, if officers predict that you will move to other province then they could even deny your PR confirmation. So be careful.
2. No you cannot start from day 1 due to the explanation at #1. I know that there was no restriction or 2 year signed commitment being asked while i received SK nomination in 2015. But later i heard some commitment being asked. I am not sure if that will affect but still federal rule did not change on the "freedom to live anywhere in Canada" as a PR. So after successful landing, you are free to live anywhere.
3. No restriction after confirming PR(meaning, after successful landing on the first day). - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/understand-pr-status.html ("live, work or study anywhere in Canada").
4. Should not be any but i dont know the implications about the new 2 year commitment (i assume you signed).
5. As per my lawyer, he was not ready to process H4 for my wife as we told that we would be moving to Windsor. But some in this forum said that its allowed and some officers are allowing. But not all officers are allowing for sure as some other people updated saying they were not.
Why does she need B1/B2? For visiting US for shopping or meeting family/friends? Yes she needs to. I too applied for my family the same.

So check with lawyer on #4 and #5.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

canadapr1982

Jul 17, 2017
1. First landing needs to be in that province fo be safe. To avoid issues during landing, try to finish the formalities in SK. Its not mandatory but they will ask why you land in other province and whats the intention. As the intention is supposed to be settling in SK, if officers predict that you will move to other province then they could even deny your PR confirmation. So be careful.
2. No you cannot start from day 1 due to the explanation at #1. I know that there was no restriction or 2 year signed commitment being asked while i received SK nomination in 2015. But later i heard some commitment being asked. I am not sure if that will affect but still federal rule did not change on the "freedom to live anywhere in Canada" as a PR. So after successful landing, you are free to live anywhere.
3. No restriction after confirming PR(meaning, after successful landing on the first day). - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-card/understand-pr-status.html ("live, work or study anywhere in Canada").
4. Should not be any but i dont know the implications about the new 2 year commitment (i assume you signed).
5. As per my lawyer, he was not ready to process H4 for my wife as we told that we would be moving to Windsor. But some in this forum said that its allowed and some officers are allowing. But not all officers are allowing for sure as some other people updated saying they were not.
Why does she need B1/B2? For visiting US for shopping or meeting family/friends? Yes she needs to. I too applied for my family the same.

So check with lawyer on #4 and #5.
Thanks harirajmohan for your reply....So, according to you, When I will get COPR,first I have to go to Saskatchewan directly for all of the PR formalities and then wait for PR card....Once I will get PR card in hand...I can start daily commute from windsor??? Regarding Province commitment, I didn't signed any document .....I heard that for PR card delivery, I have to give some local address in canada...Is it right??? Since you moved in 2016, you moved first in Saskatchewan for some days and then came to windsor????

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thanks harirajmohan for your reply....So, according to you,
1. When I will get COPR,first I have to go to Saskatchewan directly for all of the PR formalities and then wait for PR card....
2. Once I will get PR card in hand...I can start daily commute from windsor???
3. Regarding Province commitment, I didn't signed any document .....
4. I heard that for PR card delivery, I have to give some local address in canada...Is it right???
5. Since you moved in 2016, you moved first in Saskatchewan for some days and then came to windsor????
1. Correct. First trip to confirm the PR should be preferably in the same state. For land travel using private vehicles your COPR is enough hence you can wait for PR card if you want to travel via bus/flight.
2. You can commute using COPR itself (or PR card) if you you are using any private/rental car. But expect too many questions during the first few weeks on why you are moving here and why not SK.
Even US guys will ask on why you moved to Windosr hence just state your current situation of utilizing PR, it should be fine.
3. Ok.
4. Yes local address needed. Sometimes the officer doesnt accept friend's address hence dont worry if they dont accept. You can request for PR card once you move the Canada, as you can anyway travel by car using COPR.
5. In 2016 i was working in Phoenix hence i was not sure what to do with PR and decided to do the landing first in 2016 to figure out about the move in 2 years. But later i got job in Detroit hence i started commuting from 2017(during when i was asked too many times too many questions during the first few weeks on why i am moving to ON instead of SK). I just stated to cbsa that my job changed here before i moved to SK hence moving to windosr.
cbsa could not do much as they can just question(nothing more).

canadapr1982

Jul 17, 2017
1. Correct. First trip to confirm the PR should be preferably in the same state. For land travel using private vehicles your COPR is enough hence you can wait for PR card if you want to travel via bus/flight.
2. You can commute using COPR itself (or PR card) if you you are using any private/rental car. But expect too many questions during the first few weeks on why you are moving here and why not SK.
Even US guys will ask on why you moved to Windosr hence just state your current situation of utilizing PR, it should be fine.
3. Ok.
4. Yes local address needed. Sometimes the officer doesnt accept friend's address hence dont worry if they dont accept. You can request for PR card once you move the Canada, as you can anyway travel by car using COPR.
5. In 2016 i was working in Phoenix hence i was not sure what to do with PR and decided to do the landing first in 2016 to figure out about the move in 2 years. But later i got job in Detroit hence i started commuting from 2017(during when i was asked too many times too many questions during the first few weeks on why i am moving to ON instead of SK). I just stated to cbsa that my job changed here before i moved to SK hence moving to windosr.
cbsa could not do much as they can just question(nothing more).
Thanks Sir, couple of more things I have discuss with you:

1. When I get COPR, For initial landing in SK, Can I go via flight as I have tourist visa??? if yes, then I will take some direct flight from detroit to SK so that my PR initial formalities done in SK only not in other province if I am going by road.
2. Do you know any person who is daily commute from lansing to windsor??? Is it possible to daily commute from lansing to windsor as it is around 2 hours journey one way by road??? for you, I think you r doing job in ann arbor and ann arbor is around 1 hour drive from windsor.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thanks Sir, couple of more things I have discuss with you:

1.1 When I get COPR, For initial landing in SK, Can I go via flight as I have tourist visa???
1.2 if yes, then I will take some direct flight from detroit to SK so that my PR initial formalities done in SK only not in other province if I am going by road.
2.1 Do you know any person who is daily commute from lansing to windsor???
2.2 Is it possible to daily commute from lansing to windsor as it is around 2 hours journey one way by road???
2.3 for you, I think you r doing job in ann arbor and ann arbor is around 1 hour drive from windsor.
1.1 No visitor visa. While you get COPR from cic, you would be getting stamping with immigrant visa. Your PR confirmation(or landing) is to do with your immigrant visa. Your visitor visa will get canceled at the entry(because you will be a permanent immigrant, not a visitor anymore). Even if they dont cancel it (by not noticing it), you should not be using that anymore.
1.2 You just need to show that the destination city is SK, doesnt matter if your route is via Toronto or xyz so that you can say that you are going to SK. Its fine if your port is Toronto/xyz. You should be prepared to say why you are not moving now and where you will settle(in SK) and when you would settle.
2.1 No.
2.3. Yes its 1 hour in the morning and 75 mins in the evening from Auburn Hills. During construction time/area, it will delay little more. And the detroit guys do construction for 6-7 months and trouble us.
2.2 Two hours would be tough and tiring but what choice do we have. People travel from Vancouver to Seattle, NJ to DC, same problem.
Try staying closer to tunnel/bridge at windsor side so that you can save 30 mins total in a day.
In my case, i stay 20 mins away from the tunnel instead of being within 5 mins, so i am wasting total 30 mins daily.

canadapr1982

Jul 17, 2017
1.1 No visitor visa. While you get COPR from cic, you would be getting stamping with immigrant visa. Your PR confirmation(or landing) is to do with your immigrant visa. Your visitor visa will get canceled at the entry(because you will be a permanent immigrant, not a visitor anymore). Even if they dont cancel it (by not noticing it), you should not be using that anymore.
1.2 You just need to show that the destination city is SK, doesnt matter if your route is via Toronto or xyz so that you can say that you are going to SK. Its fine if your port is Toronto/xyz. You should be prepared to say why you are not moving now and where you will settle(in SK) and when you would settle.
2.1 No.
2.3. Yes its 1 hour in the morning and 75 mins in the evening from Auburn Hills. During construction time/area, it will delay little more. And the detroit guys do construction for 6-7 months and trouble us.
2.2 Two hours would be tough and tiring but what choice do we have. People travel from Vancouver to Seattle, NJ to DC, same problem.
Try staying closer to tunnel/bridge at windsor side so that you can save 30 mins total in a day.
In my case, i stay 20 mins away from the tunnel instead of being within 5 mins, so i am wasting total 30 mins daily.
One more thing Sir, Once I get PPR request, I have to send my passport to Newyork, USA, after that they stamp my passport with immigrant visa...So, with that immigrant visa, can I fly to SK from Detroit???

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
One more thing Sir, Once I get PPR request, I have to send my passport to Newyork, USA, after that they stamp my passport with immigrant visa...So, with that immigrant visa, can I fly to SK from Detroit???
I dont know if you need to send the passport to NY or Ottawa as i sent it to ottawa. May be based on the instructions you can send it to the location given.
Yes once you sent the passport you would get 2 things. 1 - COPR document and 2. Immigrant visa stamp in passport.
Since you said earlier that you have visitor visa (which means you need visa to enter Canada), you would definitely get the stamp in the passport along with copr.
Book the tickets after you receive stamping and copr.

adi92

Star Member
Jul 19, 2018
Hi,

Does anyone here travel regularly on a b1/b2 visa. I will need to travel once a week to michigan, I plan on living in Windsor. Has anyone done this? What happens to the paper I94 in such a case?

rakakatoofaan

Star Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

Does anyone here travel regularly on a b1/b2 visa. I will need to travel once a week to michigan, I plan on living in Windsor. Has anyone done this? What happens to the paper I94 in such a case?
I know quite a few people. You will get a new I-94 each time when 180 days expire, on that I -94.

The I-94 will be attached to your passport and will bear the 180th day and you need to pay $6. You can also pre-pay for your I-94 to expedite the process on I-94.gov. When you enter after 180th day, you need to rinse and repeat.

Last edited: