+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

PlimPlum

Star Member
Jan 11, 2018
This is just my understanding, not legal advise.

1) They do not stamp passports at least on land borders i.e. if you cross the border by car. However, you can check your I-94 online and travel history to Canada will most likely be reflected. There can be small mistakes (missed entries/exits) but its mostly accurate.
2) I mean as long as she has a valid visa, don't see why it would be an issue to visit you.
Regarding to the 2nd point, I was told to apply for a visitor visa when I visited my family in the US who is working on H1b visa. I have a valid H4 visa, so I guess it depends on the officer. Now I am afraid to try to cross the border using H4 again and considering to apply for a visitor visa.

Thatguy23

Feb 28, 2019
Hey Guys,

Anyone traveling from Vancouver, BC area to Seattle, WA daily? Need some info. Please help

Regards,
Ravi

rzk0006

Mar 3, 2019
Hey guys I recently got my Canada PR and a job in Detroit waiting for H1b transfer.I'm on H1b and planning to travel from Windsor to Dearborn,MI and looking for some help and information from someone who is already doing that.

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
Hey guys I recently got my Canada PR and a job in Detroit waiting for H1b transfer.I'm on H1b and planning to travel from Windsor to Dearborn,MI and looking for some help and information from someone who is already doing that.
1) Import you car to Canada
2) Get a apartment/house in Windsor.

The above establishes your residence in Windsor, ON, Canada

3) Keep track of your daily trips to the US or outside Canada using the physical presence calculator.
4) Apply for NEXUS card. Will speed up your entries to the US and Canada, but not essential (but very helpful)

You are good to go. You will need to get into specifics of what other help you may need

rzk0006

Mar 3, 2019
I'm exactly in same situation let me know if its ok to
1) Import you car to Canada
2) Get a apartment/house in Windsor.

The above establishes your residence in Windsor, ON, Canada

3) Keep track of your daily trips to the US or outside Canada using the physical presence calculator.
4) Apply for NEXUS card. Will speed up your entries to the US and Canada, but not essential (but very helpful)

You are good to go. You will need to get into specifics of what other help you may need

Thanks you so much for quick response.I have few more questions.

1.I already got stamping done during my PR landing with my current job till Jan 2022 and doing H1b transfer to detroit based company.Do I have to get stamping done again with new company before applying Nexus?
2. If I move to Windsor with my family (me and my wife are working on h1b) before getting Nexus do have to get our stamping and I-797's verified daily? How long it will take without Nexus? Does our I-94 change daily?
3.Are there any good communities close to tunnel we can look for so that commute time is less?

I know these are too many questions but me and my wife are planning to leave full time jobs we have been doing for years and selling our home to make this happen.

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
I'm exactly in same situation let me know if its ok to

Thanks you so much for quick response.I have few more questions.

1.I already got stamping done during my PR landing with my current job till Jan 2022 and doing H1b transfer to detroit based company.Do I have to get stamping done again with new company before applying Nexus?
2. If I move to Windsor with my family (me and my wife are working on h1b) before getting Nexus do have to get our stamping and I-797's verified daily? How long it will take without Nexus? Does our I-94 change daily?
3.Are there any good communities close to tunnel we can look for so that commute time is less?

I know these are too many questions but me and my wife are planning to leave full time jobs we have been doing for years and selling our home to make this happen.
Most of the folks have been where you are currently. It's a big decision so let me help clear up some of the questions that I had not too long ago.
1) You do not have to get a new stamping done. I still commute with my old company stamp. Expect a bunch of questions for the first week of travel. Don't worry it's nothing out of the ordinary. Show your I797 and passport. You may get pulled into secondary initially and given a paper I94. After that travel will be smooth. You may still get pulled into secondary every now and then (even with Nexus).
2) No. You are good to go with old stamp and I797 from new company (update your stamp close to its expiry). How long does it take? Well really depends on what time you leave. I have not had to wait beyond 20 mins even during rush hour. If you find a sweet spot you will be able to cut it in 10 mins. However, initial week or two expect more questions. As your travel history accumulates things will speed up. Your I94 will not change. Your passport will be scanned (no stamp) and you will be able to see your travel history online.
3) Not sure about this. I found an apartment 5 mins from the tunnel. Works well for me. Be informed that Windsor is not like the big Canadian cities like Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, etc. It's a small town with an old school feel to it. That might be an adjustment. However, you can always head to GTA area during the weekends and Detroit is right next door.

Overall I'd say commuting is not as difficult as it may seem when you first comprehend the idea.

Last edited:

rzk0006

Mar 3, 2019
Most of the folks have been where you are currently. It's a big decision so let me help clear up some of the questions that I had not too long ago.
1) You do not have to get a new stamping done. I still commute with my old company stamp. Expect a bunch of questions for the first week of travel. Don't worry it's nothing out of the ordinary. Show your I797 and passport. You may get pulled into secondary initially and given a paper I94. After that travel will be smooth. You may still get pulled into secondary every now and then (even with Nexus).
2) No. You are good to go with old stamp and I797 from new company (update your stamp close to its expiry). How long does it take? Well really depends on what time you leave. I have not had to wait beyond 20 mins even during rush hour. If you find a sweet spot you will be able to cut it in 10 mins. However, initial week or two expect more questions. As your travel history accumulates things will speed up. Your I94 will not change. Your passport will be scanned (no stamp) and you will be able to see your travel history online.
3) Not sure about this. I found an apartment 5 mins from the tunnel. Works well for me. Be informed that Windsor is not like the big Canadian cities like Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, etc. It's a small town with an old school feel to it. That might be an adjustment. However, you can always head to GTA area during the weekends and Detroit is right next door.

Overall I'd say commuting is not as difficult as it may seem when you first comprehend the idea.

Thanks again for taking time to answer all my questions.It's good to know that we don't have to wait till nexus approval to commute on daily basis.

CanucksRajiv

Star Member
Mar 5, 2019
Hello Guys,

I am new to this forum. I am currently working in NY and working in a top five American Bank as Data Scientist. I am on H1B and my company will start my GC process in June. Recently, I received ITA and I am exploring various options. I would really appreciate if you could answer my following questions-

1. I understand that Windsor Detroit commute is possible, is there any other place in the west coast where this is possible?

2. Does such commute creates problem in future H1B stamping?

3. Can we commute event though GC is in process?

4. What is the impact of such commute with respect to taxes?

5. How are the Detroit salaries compared to say Toronto or Vancouver?

Last edited:

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Hello guys,

I am so glad to have found this thread. I have read through many posts in this thread and it looks like it is possible to work on the US side on H-1B and live in Canada side as I have PR.

1) I have not lived in Canada for 3 years, so I am guessing I won't be eligible to apply for Nexus Card, but looks like I can travel across the border every day using stamped H-1B on my passport and I-94 AND as long as I return within 24 hours back to Canada, it is counted as 1 day in PR - are both of these understandings accurate?

1) I got PR because I was a SK PNP nominee. But I am thinking of amending my H1B to work from WA or NY in which case, I will reside in BC or ON. Would it be a problem when I renew my Canada PR or apply for Canadian citizenship?

2) I am planning to rent a place on the US border and work from there and travel in the evenings to another rented place in Canada. So I will be renting a place in Canada, register my car in Canada, be having a health card in Canada, file taxes in Canada and would probably make purchases etc in Canada. So these would be enough to establish intent to live in Canada during Canada PR renewal or citizenship application, right?

If people in the same boat could give their valuable inputs, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.

Last edited:

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hello guys,

I am so glad to have found this thread. I have read through many posts in this thread and it looks like it is possible to work on the US side on H-1B and live in Canada side as I have PR.

1) I have not lived in Canada for 3 years, so I am guessing I won't be eligible to apply for Nexus Card, but looks like I can travel across the border every day using stamped H-1B on my passport and I-94 AND as long as I return within 24 hours back to Canada, it is counted as 1 day in PR - are both of these understandings accurate?

2) I got PR because I was a SK PNP nominee. But I am thinking of amending my H1B to work from WA or NY in which case, I will reside in BC or ON. Would it be a problem when I renew my Canada PR or apply for Canadian citizenship?

3) I am planning to rent a place on the US border and work from there and travel in the evenings to another rented place in Canada. So I will be renting a place in Canada, register my car in Canada, be having a health card in Canada, file taxes in Canada and would probably make purchases etc in Canada. So these would be enough to establish intent to live in Canada during Canada PR renewal or citizenship application, right?

If people in the same boat could give their valuable inputs, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.
1. You dont need to have lived in Canada for 3 years to apply for nexus. You just should have lived in US/Canada/both countries for 3 years before you apply. If you call the cbp/cbsa office then they will confuse you (my own experience). So just apply directly for nexus and you should be good.
Yes partial days are counted for citizenship.
2.No issues. But question will be there initially during your move that why you are moving to another province. Just state the current situation that you were supposed to move but you go the job in detroit/seattle hence you are moving to ON/BC.
3. You dont need to maintain residency/rental apartment in US. Just rent and live in Canada should be enough for your PR renewal or citizenship.

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
1. You dont need to have lived in Canada for 3 years to apply for nexus. You just should have lived in US/Canada/both countries for 3 years before you apply. If you call the cbp/cbsa office then they will confuse you (my own experience). So just apply directly for nexus and you should be good.
Yes partial days are counted for citizenship.
2.No issues. But question will be there initially during your move that why you are moving to another province. Just state the current situation that you were supposed to move but you go the job in detroit/seattle hence you are moving to ON/BC.
3. You dont need to maintain residency/rental apartment in US. Just rent and live in Canada should be enough for your PR renewal or citizenship.
Thanks so much for your replies!

1) Interesting that you mention that. Because every place I have read, it is mentioned that in the country we have permanent residency(which in my case is Canada), we should have lived atleast for 3 years. Good to know that that isn't the case. But should I at least wait until I get my H-1B amended to work in WA or NY before I apply for Nexus card? Because I am thinking that they'll ask for why would I need to come into US and for that I might have to prove that I am working in the border town in WA or NY and to prove that I can only show the H1B amendment's work location, right?

2) Good to hear this.

3) I will be a virtual employee for the company in US. So I will have to rent my own spot to work on the US side. And rent a place in Canada side, where I will be living.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thanks so much for your replies!

1) Interesting that you mention that. Because every place I have read, it is mentioned that in the country we have permanent residency(which in my case is Canada), we should have lived atleast for 3 years. Good to know that that isn't the case. But should I at least wait until I get my H-1B amended to work in WA or NY before I apply for Nexus card? Because I am thinking that they'll ask for why would I need to come into US and for that I might have to prove that I am working in the border town in WA or NY and to prove that I can only show the H1B amendment's work location, right?

2) Good to hear this.

3) I will be a virtual employee for the company in US. So I will have to rent my own spot to work on the US side. And rent a place in Canada side, where I will be living.
1. You need to prove that you are eligible and have travel document for both countries and purpose. So dont apply for nexus without having H1 approved.
2. I assume that you are already a PR, assuming that landing is already complete in SK. If so then you should be good. Me too SK nominee with initial landing in sk but later moved to windsor due to border commute.
3. Still its not required to have rental in US but its up to you and go with your company's terms as why to take unnecessary issue with the company who is going to pay you. So take a call accordingly. Most of the commuters dont do it that way - we give our Canada address for employer records as well as filing H1 at uscis. No issues for us.

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
1. You need to prove that you are eligible and have travel document for both countries and purpose. So dont apply for nexus without having H1 approved.
2. I assume that you are already a PR, assuming that landing is already complete in SK. If so then you should be good. Me too SK nominee with initial landing in sk but later moved to windsor due to border commute.
3. Still its not required to have rental in US but its up to you and go with your company's terms as why to take unnecessary issue with the company who is going to pay you. So take a call accordingly. Most of the commuters dont do it that way - we give our Canada address for employer records as well as filing H1 at uscis. No issues for us.
1) Ok, I will wait until H1 approval and then apply for Nexus card.

2) Yes, I softlanded on Aug 30, 2017 in Saskatoon. Great to meet another SK nominee :)

3) You are right. But just like you mentioned, I don't want unnecessary issues. I am thinking you are working at Detroit office? So it would be enough to have a place in Canada for you and give that address for H1B also. But I will be "working from home" in WA/NY. So I will have to provide that work location address for H1 amendment, hence will have to have an address on US side. Actually, I am doubtful of the fact that because I will not be working at an office in US, would that be a problem whenever I cross the border?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
1) Ok, I will wait until H1 approval and then apply for Nexus card.

2) Yes, I softlanded on Aug 30, 2017 in Saskatoon. Great to meet another SK nominee :)

3) You are right. But just like you mentioned, I don't want unnecessary issues. I am thinking you are working at Detroit office? So it would be enough to have a place in Canada for you and give that address for H1B also. But I will be "working from home" in WA/NY. So I will have to provide that work location address for H1 amendment, hence will have to have an address on US side. Actually, I am doubtful of the fact that because I will not be working at an office in US, would that be a problem whenever I cross the border?
3. I am not really sure as most come at least daily or once few weeks hence our H1 status is maintained. For extension you need to gain H1 status before applying for it hence you may need to enter at that time or for cap exempt based on 140 for which you dont need to be inland but check with the employer or your immigration lawyer on how they plan.

For working from home i am not sure why do you even need H1. Possibly employer wanting to process payroll... see what works before moving.

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
I asked my company to let me work from Canada, they are saying it is too expensive to "transfer" my job there. I tried my best to convince them, they are not agreeing at all.

Right now, my H1B extension (work location working from home in TX) is in progress, not really sure if I am going to get it approved, as I already got RFE. I am thinking if I should respond to RFE + premium process H1B extension + H1B amendment for change in work location to NY/WA.