+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Daily commute (Detroit-Windsor) (H1b and Canada PR)

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
Thats what I understood too. He suggested that my husband should enter on H1 visa to work if I am in Windsor. But as I am moving to farmington, he can come on H4 I guess
Still a bit confusing. Why not continue to live in Windsor and commute with your husband daily. Problem solved right? Alternatively you could move to Michigan for good ofcourse but then I presume you are OK with losing your PR. Since you will be living close to the border personally I would try to keep both PR and h1b going.

Mkranthi

Apr 30, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
15/08/2017
Still a bit confusing. Why not continue to live in Windsor and commute with your husband daily. Problem solved right? Alternatively you could move to Michigan for good of course but then I presume you are OK with losing your PR. Since you will be living close to the border personally I would try to keep both PR and h1b going.
officer says, H4 cannot commute like H1. H4 visa was given to dependent because of the reason that H1 is staying in USA it seems. if H1 is staying in Windsor, he says what is the necessity of H4 visa . That is what those officers explained to us in a clear way multiple times.

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
officer says, H4 cannot commute like H1. H4 visa was given to dependent because of the reason that H1 is staying in USA it seems. if H1 is staying in Windsor, he says what is the necessity of H4 visa . That is what those officers explained to us in a clear way multiple times.
Ah ok. Somehow that was not clear to me based on previous post. In that case going back to the US makes sense or your husband finding a job or some other arrangement in Canada

Mkranthi

Apr 30, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
15/08/2017
Oh got it. yes we have PR till 2023 MAY. so we prepared to move to Canada by 2020 March in a planned way rather than to leave his job in USA all of a sudden. We are planning to show Michigan apartment lease agreement and DTE agreement as a proof of residence and moving back to Michigan. Hope this will satisy them to believe that we are moving!!

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
Oh got it. yes we have PR till 2023 MAY. so we prepared to move to Canada by 2020 March in a planned way rather than to leave his job in USA all of a sudden. We are planning to show Michigan apartment lease agreement and DTE agreement as a proof of residence and moving back to Michigan. Hope this will satisy them to believe that we are moving!!
I think it will be fine. Thanks for posting and let us know what happens. Will help others. Basically your husband might have to find some better arrangement in the future but you are OK and can satisfy your PR obligation with your current situation in terms of work.

Mkranthi

Apr 30, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
15/08/2017
I think it will be fine. Thanks for posting and let us know what happens. Will help others. Basically your husband might have to find some better arrangement in the future but you are OK and can satisfy your PR obligation with your current situation in terms of work.
Thank you, feeling little confident about how I am approaching after discussing here. .. Yeah, please be aware of all loop holes and minute details when travelling across border. It takes one officer to stop and ask all sort of questions...

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018
Any recommendations for neighborhoods for settling in Windsor ? Me and wife both on H1B planing to do daily commute from Windsor ( and possibly
buy home ) and have a kid who will be starting elementary school next year.

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018
Thank you, feeling little confident about how I am approaching after discussing here. .. Yeah, please be aware of all loop holes and minute details when travelling across border. It takes one officer to stop and ask all sort of questions...

I am curious, do you have a Nexus Card or do you go through immigration every time ?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
I am curious, do you have a Nexus Card or do you go through immigration every time ?
Nexus card saves time in the booth but doesnt eliminate immigration. With/Without nexus, anyone could also be asked to go for customs(/secondary inspection) few times.

gaara690

Jan 23, 2018
Hello Folks,

Looking for your guidance here. I am a H1b and my spouse (having H4) would be working in Canada on PR. I am planning to travel twice every month to Canada for a few days along with working remote from Canada in those few days stay. My overall stay in Canada could be 8 days in a month. My questions below:

1.) Do they stamp my passport every time for this biweekly travel or do I need to apply for anything else?
2.) My wife would also be visiting my place once a month- would she be impacted as she is not staying in US?

Thanks so much for any information.

ProJack1991

Feb 18, 2019
Hello guys,

What will be situation when we will be going through the h1-b extension? Right now it may take months to get it and I-94 may expire by then. I believe we will be stuck in such scenarios and can not leave the country.Anyone with smilar experience please share your story.

Thanks!!

Hari412

Star Member
Sep 20, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2014
AOR Received.
27-01-2015
IELTS Request
submitted
File Transfer...
12-02-2015
Med's Request
20-03-2015
Med's Done....
1-4-2015, Third Line 11-4-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
12-06-2015
LANDED..........
17-07-2015

skarme312

Aug 2, 2017
Hello Folks,

Looking for your guidance here. I am a H1b and my spouse (having H4) would be working in Canada on PR. I am planning to travel twice every month to Canada for a few days along with working remote from Canada in those few days stay. My overall stay in Canada could be 8 days in a month. My questions below:

1.) Do they stamp my passport every time for this biweekly travel or do I need to apply for anything else?
2.) My wife would also be visiting my place once a month- would she be impacted as she is not staying in US?

Thanks so much for any information.
This is just my understanding, not legal advise.

1) They do not stamp passports at least on land borders i.e. if you cross the border by car. However, you can check your I-94 online and travel history to Canada will most likely be reflected. There can be small mistakes (missed entries/exits) but its mostly accurate.
2) I mean as long as she has a valid visa, don't see why it would be an issue to visit you.