Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
1. And, does it matter which POE we are going through with respect to processing times?

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/planning-tips-for-first-time-landing-in-canada-after-getting-copr.578422/
2. Also, in the above thread for #5, the OP talks about two pieces of address proof. How do we get two address proofs?

I might be giving my friend's address initially for my PR card but I might not be staying at the same location once I completely move to Canada. In that case, would the world address suffice or would it be new address?
1. It doesnt matter as the port doesnt process anything. Its only at CIC.
2. #5 is not for PR card. Also when a new immigrant comes in, he cant have any address proof to provide at the port. Just one address.
FYI - Sometimes the officer might ask you to apply after you move. So nothing big deal as you can apply for it later. Mostly it wont happen but we have seen cases like this. So in that case you cant do anything about it as the officer doesnt want to process the card and send it to friends house.

For driver license or health card or school admission: At least for me in Ontario, just one address proof was enough. Not sure which province but you should check your province website for detail rather than these forums for these.

Mirapakay

Feb 18, 2019
1. It doesnt matter as the port doesnt process anything. Its only at CIC.
2. #5 is not for PR card. Also when a new immigrant comes in, he cant have any address proof to provide at the port. Just one address.
FYI - Sometimes the officer might ask you to apply after you move. So nothing big deal as you can apply for it later. Mostly it wont happen but we have seen cases like this. So in that case you cant do anything about it as the officer doesnt want to process the card and send it to friends house.

For driver license or health card or school admission: At least for me in Ontario, just one address proof was enough. Not sure which province but you should check your province website for detail rather than these forums for these.
OK. I am planning to do a soft landing initially and come back to US. Since, DLs in US are tied up to I-797/I-94 in some states, I wanted to make sure I exchange my US license before it expires with a Canadian license. Can that be done during soft landing with the same address that I provide for PR card?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
OK. I am planning to do a soft landing initially and come back to US. Since, DLs in US are tied up to I-797/I-94 in some states, I wanted to make sure I exchange my US license before it expires with a Canadian license. Can that be done during soft landing with the same address that I provide for PR card?
Every province handles it differently. Check their website for doc check list to see if you have all the docs.

Mirapakay

Feb 18, 2019
Every province handles it differently. Check their website for doc check list to see if you have all the docs.
Thanks! Looks like there are quite a few documents required. I will have to move to Canada permanently to get a Canadian DL.

One question I always had was, what happens if I use my car to move all my household stuff during my initial landing and then later decide to stay back? Would that cause any issue to my PR or my car since I would have declared the car as goods to follow?

Last edited:

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Thanks! Looks like there are quite a few documents required. I will have to move to Canada permanently to get a Canadian DL.

One question I always had was, what happens if I use my car to move all my household stuff during my initial landing and then later decide to stay back? Would that cause any issue to my PR or my car since I would have declared the car as goods to follow?
They won't let you take your car inside Canada while landing if you haven't completed export formalities. You'd have to finish landing and make a U turn to US. Your miles may slightly vary depending upon officers on this, 99% you won't be let in on your personal car. Rental car is fine.

You may be able to take your personal car later without exporting, but your miles may strongly very on the officer you. If they see US plates and get to know that you are PR, the common question they might raise is have you exported the car.

You can get driving license only after you establish your residence, be it US or Canada. You'd need documents to prove your residence anywhere. You'd also need driving history abstract to be able to exchange the license.

Mirapakay

Feb 18, 2019
They won't let you take your car inside Canada while landing if you haven't completed export formalities. You'd have to finish landing and make a U turn to US. Your miles may slightly vary depending upon officers on this, 99% you won't be let in on your personal car. Rental car is fine.

You may be able to take your personal car later without exporting, but your miles may strongly very on the officer you. If they see US plates and get to know that you are PR, the common question they might raise is have you exported the car.

You can get driving license only after you establish your residence, be it US or Canada. You'd need documents to prove your residence anywhere. You'd also need driving history abstract to be able to exchange the license.
  1. So, I would I not be able to use my personal car even to drop off most of my stuff during the initial landing?
  2. Since, my US driving license will be expired by the time I permanently move to Canada, how would they know my driving history?
  3. Also, I didn't get what you meant regarding miles for exporting.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
  1. So, I would I not be able to use my personal car even to drop off most of my stuff during the initial landing?
  2. Since, my US driving license will be expired by the time I permanently move to Canada, how would they know my driving history?
  3. Also, I didn't get what you meant regarding miles for exporting.
1. Correct
2. You need to apply for driving history abstract from your DMV before you move
3. I didn't meant miles literally. 'Your miles may vary' is a term which is used to say every person may have unique experience on the subject. What I meant is that you may or may not be let in with your personal car for subsequent visits without exporting.

If you plan to move for good with landing, why not get export and import formalities done and take the car the way you are wanting to?

Mirapakay

Feb 18, 2019
1. Correct
2. You need to apply for driving history abstract from your DMV before you move
3. I didn't meant miles literally. 'Your miles may vary' is a term which is used to say every person may have unique experience on the subject. What I meant is that you may or may not be let in with your personal car for subsequent visits without exporting.

If you plan to move for good with landing, why not get export and import formalities done and take the car the way you are wanting to?
Thanks! I didn't know that I can apply for driving history abstract.

1. Would I be able to just get a DL in Canada with this abstract?
2. Also, I see there are options like Non-Certified Copy, Certified Copy, Certified Copy + Letter to show the date the driver's license was originally issued. Which one should I be getting in this case?
3. Do I also need to get anything from my Auto Insurance people for DL in Canada?

Regarding the miles - LOL :p

I have still not decided if I have to move for good with landing or do initial landing. So, just trying to analyze various options.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Thanks! I didn't know that I can apply for driving history abstract.

1. Would I be able to just get a DL in Canada with this abstract?
2. Also, I see there are options like Non-Certified Copy, Certified Copy, Certified Copy + Letter to show the date the driver's license was originally issued. Which one should I be getting in this case?
3. Do I also need to get anything from my Auto Insurance people for DL in Canada?

Regarding the miles - LOL :p

I have still not decided if I have to move for good with landing or do initial landing. So, just trying to analyze various options.
I think third one having original issue date is better because abstracts sometimes might just contain history from your last renewal. if you have 2+ years of driving history, yes you can get the license with abstract.

If you are claim free, I think you can get some letter from insurance company stating that with insurance tenure.. I think it might help little bit with insurance costs, but may not be much. You will anyways get credit through your Canadian license as you have provided US driving history. So that will take care of driving history part

Mirapakay

Feb 18, 2019
I think third one having original issue date is better because abstracts sometimes might just contain history from your last renewal. if you have 2+ years of driving history, yes you can get the license with abstract.

If you are claim free, I think you can get some letter from insurance company stating that with insurance tenure.. I think it might help little bit with insurance costs, but may not be much. You will anyways get credit through your Canadian license as you have provided US driving history. So that will take care of driving history part
Thank you! What documents are needed for AVR to come back to US? I currently have a valid I-94 based on my I-797. Would I be needing anything else to come back to US after initial landing?

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Thank you! What documents are needed for AVR to come back to US? I currently have a valid I-94 based on my I-797. Would I be needing anything else to come back to US after initial landing?
Normally, they don't even ask for approval notice. Just the passport is sufficient. But technically, they can ask for approval notice, LCA, employer letter, recent paychecks, client letter if applicable etc.

Mirapakay

Feb 18, 2019
Normally, they don't even ask for approval notice. Just the passport is sufficient. But technically, they can ask for approval notice, LCA, employer letter, recent paychecks, client letter if applicable etc.
LCA might be tricky. Should the employer letter be latest or could that be from the date when my petition was originally submitted?

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
LCA might be tricky. Should the employer letter be latest or could that be from the date when my petition was originally submitted?
In most cases those will not be needed, none are mandatory to be sure. These are just supporting documentation. You should have a copy of the LCA with you though. Employer is required to provide it to you.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
No one knows what they will ask. Take everything you can get. For most they wont ask except passport. For few they ask for I797, lca and recent payslip. Rarely they ask for letter too (for my company guy he was asked even though he was commuting for years and years and he did not have the recent letter at that time). So who knows about the mood of cbp. You cant ask on every document how to prepare and what documents you should carry as you are not new to US. Entering US from Canada is no different from entering from Asia/EU. Technically you should take all the documents you require to prove your job waiting for you in the US, irrelevant of you coming from Canada/India or commuting from Windsor daily.

Reactions: aspirant9

Mirapakay

Feb 18, 2019
No one knows what they will ask. Take everything you can get. For most they wont ask except passport. For few they ask for I797, lca and recent payslip. Rarely they ask for letter too (for my company guy he was asked even though he was commuting for years and years and he did not have the recent letter at that time). So who knows about the mood of cbp. You cant ask on every document how to prepare and what documents you should carry as you are not new to US. Entering US from Canada is no different from entering from Asia/EU. Technically you should take all the documents you require to prove your job waiting for you in the US, irrelevant of you coming from Canada/India or commuting from Windsor daily.
That's why I decided to move to Canada. The system here sucks big time. Treats you as though you are an illegal immigrant even after spending more than a decade here.