+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working remotely from Canada in US company as Canadian PR

Mirapakay

Feb 18, 2019
No issues in receiving salary in USD. You need to pay tax in the country you work and in the country you live.
After going through the entire thread, it didn't seem like that. I need to pay taxes for IRS in this case and just report it to CRA and pay any difference in amount to them. Isn't that correct?

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
After going through the entire thread, it didn't seem like that. I need to pay taxes for IRS in this case and just report it to CRA and pay any difference in amount to them. Isn't that correct?
You will file a return in both countries. Consult with a good tax consultant.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
After going through the entire thread, it didn't seem like that.
1.I need to pay taxes for IRS in this case and just report it to CRA and pay any difference in amount to them. Isn't that correct?
1. Thats correct. One needs to pay the remaining tax after deducting the amount paid in the source country. I did not write specifically in detail whether its a double tax or remaining tax as we have been discussing on this multiple times in multiple threads.

There is no double tax as most countries have taxation treaty. I assume that everyone knows this as they are not new to Canada/US.:)

Last edited:

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I don't want to lie at the border either thats why I said I live in Canada during my last travel. Its just that they started asking me more questions and I was not sure how to handle those questions. Thats my only concern.
Most of the people cross border daily but in my case I travel once a month.
1. Is it fair and legal to work remotely for US employer and say that at the border if asked?
There is nothing to be fair. THey dont care what we do outside of US and they dont have jurisdiction in the first place. You dont need to disclose ahead that we work remote but you can very well tell that you come for short visits and work from remote which is anyway logical that you work remote which is why travelling once in a month. They do have control on the purpose of every visit to US. So they expect legally to make sure the candidate has a job in the US. As long as you can prove that then you are fine. If its infrequent, take a letter from the company or at least have recent payslip to handle things at border.
Some member posted that they even asked for HR numbers and stuff. CBP wanted to make sure we actually still work for that company and there is a job for us.

Mirapakay

Feb 18, 2019
1. Thats correct. One needs to pay the remaining tax after deducting the amount paid in the source country. I did not write specifically in detail whether its a double tax or remaining tax as we have been discussing on this multiple times in multiple threads.

There is no double tax as most countries have taxation treaty. I assume that everyone knows this as they are not new to Canada/US.:)
Thanks for the clarification. :)
To your other point about traveling in another post, I am thinking of traveling on a B-1 visa once in a month. But, my company is saying that the hours on B-1 are not billable. If that is the case, how do I have a workaround for it? Because, there is no point in me traveling to US unnecessarily, if I don't get paid.

justinline

May 19, 2009
One thing I would suggest for frequent and infrequent travellers on h1b .......keep your story straight and constant. From CBP side to CBSA side and right up to when you go for citizenship interview with IRCC officer. Lot of things can get noted with every interaction that you have with CBP and CBSA, all this is available to IRCC when you go for citizenship interview.....and I can only say be cognizant of it with long term view.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thanks for the clarification. :)
To your other point about traveling in another post, I am thinking of traveling on a B-1 visa once in a month. But, my company is saying that the hours on B-1 are not billable. If that is the case, how do I have a workaround for it? Because, there is no point in me traveling to US unnecessarily, if I don't get paid.
I am assuming that you are working from remote. That might be the reason your employer is saying that he cannot change the billing differently for few days in a month for every month.
My neighbour at chrysler goes to Detroit office few times a month, sometimes almost every week but he doesnt get paid anything additional except the company car is given to travel.

So it looks like B1 trips from Canada varies from employer to employer unlike the B1 candidates travel from India to US.

Last edited:

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I don't want to lie at the border either thats why I said I live in Canada during my last travel. Its just that they started asking me more questions and I was not sure how to handle those questions. Thats my only concern.
Is it fair and legal to work remotely for US employer and say that at the border if asked?
Your best bet if asked next time is to mention clearly that you are a Canadian permanent resident and you live in Canada. Make sure you have another residence in US.. like shared accomodation or a rented apartment. if asked where would you stay, just say you have secondary residence or a rented apartment in US and you'd stay there whenever you go to US. Keep all requisite documents to prove your employment and keep the story same every single time.

Mirapakay

Feb 18, 2019
I am assuming that you are working from remote. That might be the reason your employer is saying that he cannot change the billing differently for few days in a month for every month.
My neighbour at chrysler goes to Detroit office few times a month, sometimes almost every week but he doesnt get paid anything additional except the company car is given to travel.

So it looks like B1 trips from Canada varies from employer to employer unlike the B1 candidates travel from India to US.
I guess in your neighbors case, he must have been quoted a monthly salary and is the reason for not getting paid for this travel. In my case, I am a consultant and planning to work remote. So, things are little different.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I guess in your neighbors case, he must have been quoted a monthly salary and is the reason for not getting paid for this travel. In my case, I am a consultant and planning to work remote. So, things are little different.
Agreed. Correct. My neighbour is full time.
Wont they pay you at least the daily contract rate as you would get in Canada for US trip?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Agreed. Correct. My neighbour is full time.
Wont they pay you at least the daily contract rate as you would get in Canada for US trip?
If you are working in an adjacent city across the border it is just considered normal commuting. Many employers are creating special contracts based on the employee wanting to keep working but remotely. The bargaining power is a bit different when you are the one trying to keep your job but move to Canada

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Is it fair and legal to work remotely for US employer and say that at the border if asked?
What people don’t always realize with working on an H1B while living in Canada is that you must include your US residential address. Some don’t actually secure their own accommodations and their own lease which is what they should do. Some include the address of a friend or family member where they don’t stay or pay rent.

Mirapakay

Feb 18, 2019
What people don’t always realize with working on an H1B while living in Canada is that you must include your US residential address. Some don’t actually secure their own accommodations and their own lease which is what they should do. Some include the address of a friend or family member where they don’t stay or pay rent.
Is that only needed if working on a H-1B remotely from Canada? What if one is coming from Canada to US on a B-1 visa but getting paid in USD?