+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Currently in Canada/Toronto on a student visa- CHARGED WITH DUI

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ponga said:
Because you have been charged, you very well could have a problem when attempting to re-enter Canada. It might be worth contacting a good lawyer (that offers a free phone consultation) to find out.

Cancelling your vacation and staying in Canada might be your best option...unfortunately.
even tho I wasn't convicted yet. I called cic and they like its up to the boarder officer to deiced ??? what you think is it wroth it to travel with al supporting documents and court letter indicating trail date and maybe a letter from the lawyer to confirm I would have to return to appear for my court.

thnks

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ottawa-applicant said:
even tho I wasn't convicted yet. I called cic and they like its up to the boarder officer to deiced ??? what you think is it wroth it to travel with al supporting documents and court letter indicating trail date and maybe a letter from the lawyer to confirm I would have to return to appear for my court.

thnks
My point exactly! You have no idea how the CBSA is going to treat you. By staying in Canada, you eliminate that risk completely.

Cancelling your vacation would certainly suck, but...not being allowed to re-enter afterwards would be even worse, IMHO.

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ponga said:
My point exactly! You have no idea how the CBSA is going to treat you. By staying in Canada, you eliminate that risk completely.

Cancelling your vacation would certainly suck, but...not being allowed to re-enter afterwards would be even worse, IMHO.
thank you very much for your advice. I think its better to be safe than sorry

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ottawa-applicant said:
thank you very much for your advice. I think its better to be safe than sorry
You're very welcome, but before you actually cancel your much deserved vacation, maybe you could call the law firm that provides this website. They offer a free phone consultation. Just click on the red and black CANADAVISA.com logo to find their number.

Good luck!

prdgo

Oct 8, 2015
Hi Brother,

Did u get extension of your study permit? please reply me. I am not charged and arrested for crime but police are investigated and sent file for charge approval. I am worrying about study permit extension on February 2016, if i get charged for the crime. Could you please give me any suggestion how to get extension if i get charged with crime ? I would be greatly appreciated for your help

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
prdgo said:
Hi Brother,

Did u get extension of your study permit? please reply me. I am not charged and arrested for crime but police are investigated and sent file for charge approval. I am worrying about study permit extension on February 2016, if i get charged for the crime. Could you please give me any suggestion how to get extension if i get charged with crime ? I would be greatly appreciated for your help
i didnt get any idea what your trying to do? if you have been charged and not convicted yet then apply for study permit extension. and get a lawyer to help u with the charges ASAP, its wroth spending the money. good luck

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
innco said:
Hello,

I am currently on student visa in Canada and was charged with impaired driving and DUI 0.13 yesterday 7/7. I have my first court date on July 20, 2015. Will this impact my application for student permit extension which I have submitted in June 2015?

This is my first charge and is there a way to get away without criminal conviction? Please share the details if you know someone who was charged with similar cases and been not convicted or been charged lower without a criminal case and their lawyer details if possible. Any suggestions/information would be of great help as this impacts my life.

Thanks in advance!
The last time the OP visited the forum was 2 days after the Court date, with no update. Doesn't look good...

prdgo

Oct 8, 2015
Ottawa-applicant said:
i didnt get any idea what your trying to do? if you have been charged and not convicted yet then apply for study permit extension. and get a lawyer to help u with the charges ASAP, its wroth spending the money. good luck
Do you think extension of study permit is not a problem if i charged with criminal offence

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
prdgo said:
Do you think extension of study permit is not a problem if i charged with criminal offence
I'm not exactly sure, but as far as I know you HAVE NOTHING TO LOOS. JUST APPLY. If you have letter of acceptance from school or u still haven't finished your program and graduated they it shouldn't be a problem. they don't check on you when you extend your study permit, coz it not one of the requirements. BUT STILL GO ASK SCHOOL ADVISER FOR More DETAILS.

good luck

prdgo

Oct 8, 2015
Ottawa-applicant said:
I'm not exactly sure, but as far as I know you HAVE NOTHING TO LOOS. JUST APPLY. If you have letter of acceptance from school or u still haven't finished your program and graduated they it shouldn't be a problem. they don't check on you when you extend your study permit, coz it not one of the requirements. BUT STILL GO ASK SCHOOL ADVISER FOR More DETAILS.

good luck
@ Ottawa applicant, Thank you for your response. I have valid letter of acceptance from school and still i did not finish my graduate program. I was wondering about that did you get your study permit extension when you applied in june 2015. This question regarding to background information section, what have to say for "have ever committed offense, charged , arrested , convicted. yes or no.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
prdgo said:
@ Ottawa applicant, Thank you for your response. I have valid letter of acceptance from school and still i did not finish my graduate program. I was wondering about that did you get your study permit extension when you applied in june 2015. This question regarding to background information section, what have to say for "have ever committed offense, charged , arrested , convicted. yes or no.
You have to answer "yes" and provide the details.

Harr

Nov 5, 2016
Hello,
I just saw your post regarding DUI case back in 2015. i am going through the same situation with 144 mg. could you tell me did you get your study permit extension? i am going to apply for PNP in 2017. so please give me any suggestions. my lawyer said that charges might drop but he is not sure about this.
Thanks

Jbs

Apr 20, 2015
Harr said:
Hello,
I just saw your post regarding DUI case back in 2015. i am going through the same situation with 144 mg. could you tell me did you get your study permit extension? i am going to apply for PNP in 2017. so please give me any suggestions. my lawyer said that charges might drop but he is not sure about this.
Thanks
are u charged and license is suspended for 90 days ?

Jbs

Apr 20, 2015
Harr said:
Hello,
Thanks
if you are charged and you apply for study extention you would probably won't get any extention and ask to leave the country for sure . When is your hearing and what did lawyer said about your case ?