+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Currently in Canada/Toronto on a student visa- CHARGED WITH DUI

Harr

Nov 5, 2016
Jbs said:
if you are charged and you apply for study extention you would probably won't get any extention and ask to leave the country for sure . When is your hearing and what did lawyer said about your case ?
No i am not charged and i am going to apply for Permanent Residence not study permit extension. Will this Charge effect my application? But the case is still in the Court.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Harr said:
No i am not charged and i am going to apply for Permanent Residence not study permit extension. Will this Charge effect my application? But the case is still in the Court.
I don't believe CIC will make a decision in your application until your case has been decided. If the case is still ongoing, they will pause the application and wait for the results to be known.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Just to add to the above... If at all possible, try to get the charged reduced to a simple driving infraction rather than a DUI. Make sure you are working with a good lawyer.

Harr

Nov 5, 2016
scylla said:
Just to add to the above... If at all possible, try to get the charged reduced to a simple driving infraction rather than a DUI. Make sure you are working with a good lawyer.
My lawyer said he might be able to get rid of the charges but i if i get charged with DUI will this create a problem with my application? Currently i am working with MTO and paying a lot of amount of taxes. Will CIC consider my job position or they just reject the file because of the charge? Thanks

edwardh12

Nov 17, 2016
Hello,

If you are convicted of a DUI, your permanent residency application will not be considered, as you will be inadmissible due to criminality. You would need to wait a period of five years after your sentence has been completed (fines paid, probation completed etc) to apply for a record suspension to remove this inadmissibility.

So, make sure your lawyer does everything he can to avoid a conviction!

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Harr said:
My lawyer said he might be able to get rid of the charges but i if i get charged with DUI will this create a problem with my application? Currently i am working with MTO and paying a lot of amount of taxes. Will CIC consider my job position or they just reject the file because of the charge? Thanks
Hi,

I don't think working for MTO might get you something, unless they can vouch for you ( like letter of support) in case your applying for something else like H&C. But did you apply for PR already and got charged? or still didn't apply for PR?
As Scylla said , get a good lawyer make sure to consult 3 to 4 different lawyers to get different opinion on the matter and most of all do not believe when they say they will get rid of the charge for you. I'm so sorry to say this but if you blow over 144 then your chances are slim, unless there is other strong factors in your favor, regardless lets hope for the best

Good luck

0811zy

Jul 28, 2017
Hello
@innco
I hope you all good with dui case first.i am same as you.i am student visa.and I have been charged with dui (103mg)and impaired driving.my first court date will be aug 9th 2017.i already found a lawyer.but I don't know if he is good lawyer.i just want to ask you some questions about your dui case.
Have you been convicted on dui case?
What results from court on your dui case?
Does it affect your student visa and. Every time Enter canada

Thankyou

0811zy

Jul 28, 2017
Hello,
I just saw your post regarding DUI case back in 2015. i am going through the same situation with 144 mg. could you tell me did you get your study permit extension? i am going to apply for PNP in 2017. so please give me any suggestions. my lawyer said that charges might drop but he is not sure about this.
Thanks
Hello
@Harr I just saw you put your dui case.i got charged with dui (103mg) and impaired
Driving.its my first time on dui.i hope you all good with your dui case first.can I ask what results of your dui case now.have you been convicted?and I will apply for immigration too in the future.does your dui charge affect your application of immigration.
Thankyou
I am really need your helpful answers.thx

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello
@Harr I just saw you put your dui case.i got charged with dui (103mg) and impaired
Driving.its my first time on dui.i hope you all good with your dui case first.can I ask what results of your dui case now.have you been convicted?and I will apply for immigration too in the future.does your dui charge affect your application of immigration.
Thankyou
I am really need your helpful answers.thx
Where were you charged with the DUI. Inside of Canada or outside of Canada?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Try to get your charges dropped or reduced to a non DUI charge.

0811zy

Jul 28, 2017
Try to get your charges dropped or reduced to a non DUI charge.
I see thank you.i want to know does the careless driving affect immigrate to canada?and if I not convicted but been charged with dui.does it affect my immigration?

Jr001

Oct 31, 2017
Hello
@innco
I hope you all good with dui case first.i am same as you.i am student visa.and I have been charged with dui (103mg)and impaired driving.my first court date will be aug 9th 2017.i already found a lawyer.but I don't know if he is good lawyer.i just want to ask you some questions about your dui case.
Have you been convicted on dui case?
What results from court on your dui case?
Does it affect your student visa and. Every time Enter canada

Thankyou
Hey how did it go with your case? Any details you can share to help someone else going through similar situation.