+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Current Masters student (recent Canadian bachelors graduate) thinking of dropping out and getting PGWP instead. Is it allowed?

VietQ

Feb 17, 2021
Hi I am currently a masters student in my 2nd semester in Quebec. I have completed a bachelors degree at the same institution as well. I am currently having doubts about my degree and I am considering applying for the PGWP I would be eligible for because of my completed 4 year bachelors degree. I am currently under a new study permit for my masters in Canada. On the government website, it states that I have 180 from the day I receive my diploma to apply for the PGWP. I received my study permit in the mail on the 10 September 2020 which I have video proof of but the letter stating I have graduated is dated before the 10th September. That being said, 180 days from September 10th will be in March. I wanted to know if I would still be able to apply for the PGWP, even if I’m in a new study program? Or, would dropping out of this program be detrimental to any further study/work permits?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
What is your graduation date from your first program? It will be on your degree or transcripts or letter? That is what the 180 is based from. Not some “video proof” and it is not based on the date of your study permit.

VietQ

Feb 17, 2021
I also had a question concerning my current permit. Does my new study permit void my old permit as well. In that case, would that make me ineligible for the PGWP. Also are there problems for future study/work permits if I drop out of my program and switch status/switch institution/leave Canada?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I also had a question concerning my current permit. Does my new study permit void my old permit as well. In that case, would that make me ineligible for the PGWP. Also are there problems for future study/work permits if I drop out of my program and switch status/switch institution/leave Canada?
Of course a new study permit voids an old one but it doesn’t make you ineligible for PGWP depending when you graduate. If you drop out then the school is required to let IRCC know and void your study permit. If you aren’t in school it becomes void.