+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Crossing the border without landing

dhdesigns

Star Member
Apr 24, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I've searched but can't find anything on this so wondered if anyone has had a similar experience.

The short version is that there is a possible scenario we might be facing where my spouse will have to cross into Canada with the PR visa in his passport, but won't want to officially land because we will be leaving the country again 2 days later for 2 weeks.

The long version is that we have a trip to Europe booked in 5 weeks. Based on when we filed, and that the interview has been waived, we think out PPR is eminent but now it is getting to the point where if it does come, we don't want to risk sending the passport and not getting it back before our trip (we live in Vancouver).

However, the days right before we go to London take us to Toronto on business (and we leave from there) so we were thinking if we had the PPR we'd drive to Buffalo and get the visa, but when we come back across to Canada, we obviously don't want to land because he won't have his PR card when we cross the border again 2 weeks later from the UK. Does anyone know if it is feasible to say to the IR at the border that we don't want to do the landing formalities and explain why?

Thanks in advance for any insight you might have!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

dhdesigns said:
I've searched but can't find anything on this so wondered if anyone has had a similar experience.

The short version is that there is a possible scenario we might be facing where my spouse will have to cross into Canada with the PR visa in his passport, but won't want to officially land because we will be leaving the country again 2 days later for 2 weeks.

The long version is that we have a trip to Europe booked in 5 weeks. Based on when we filed, and that the interview has been waived, we think out PPR is eminent but now it is getting to the point where if it does come, we don't want to risk sending the passport and not getting it back before our trip (we live in Vancouver).

However, the days right before we go to London take us to Toronto on business (and we leave from there) so we were thinking if we had the PPR we'd drive to Buffalo and get the visa, but when we come back across to Canada, we obviously don't want to land because he won't have his PR card when we cross the border again 2 weeks later from the UK. Does anyone know if it is feasible to say to the IR at the border that we don't want to do the landing formalities and explain why?

Thanks in advance for any insight you might have!
Yes, he doesn't have to "land" on his first entry.

alisa

Star Member
Jan 9, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I drove from Toronto to Buffalo to get my PR. I didn't land as I was leaving for vacation. You won't have any problem :)