+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Criminal Rehabilitation Application Timeline

Rehabman

Jun 22, 2022
I went through the process last year

Applied: 16th Feb 2022 - Paper to London office

Got my visa approved 13th May 2022, applied for ETA didn't go through. essentially the approved the visa application without lucking at the rehab form, found this out 3rd June 2022, provided chararcter references, letter etc 5th June 2022, approved 12th June 2022

do you mind me asking what your convictions were?

i submitted my application in Feb 2022, they've given me an application number but in response to a follow-up, they sent me a generic email saying 'applications may take over a year'.

Conchur B

Jun 21, 2022
do you mind me asking what your convictions were?

i submitted my application in Feb 2022, they've given me an application number but in response to a follow-up, they sent me a generic email saying 'applications may take over a year'.
No Problem.

It was a DUI in UK in Aug 2012

Rehabman

Jun 22, 2022
No Problem.

It was a DUI in UK in Aug 2012
thanks for your message.

can you share how long it took for them to approve your eta from the time the time they updated your CIC account?

i had a dui 2014 in the UK
and a possession charge in the UK.. both first time offences..

classed as summary convictions, applied for a rehab application in feb, got an update on my CIC account on June 16, saying they are reviewing additional documents provided by me...

but the process seems to be taking forever..

Conchur B

Jun 21, 2022
Mine was a slightly unusual situation as they basically messed up and gave me my work visa without looking at my rehab application, consequently they ended up processing the rehab application and ETA in about a week. I think this is probably unusual, equally the London Canadian embassy were very helpful

Rehabman

Jun 22, 2022
Mine was a slightly unusual situation as they basically messed up and gave me my work visa without looking at my rehab application, consequently they ended up processing the rehab application and ETA in about a week. I think this is probably unusual, equally the London Canadian embassy were very helpful

understandable. well, good luck and wish you all the best on your travels and adventures in Canada

NordkappAsahiBeer

Jun 9, 2022
canada have different laws regarding criminality.
You can try to apply New Zealand ETA and declare that you have a criminal record. You can still get an ETA after several hours. Mine was 10 hours only. No need to explain anything. No need to provide police certificates and court records.

With New Zealand ETA, you should be able to obtain a Canada ETA more easily.

Rehabman

Jun 22, 2022
You can try to apply New Zealand ETA and declare that you have a criminal record. You can still get an ETA after several hours. Mine was 10 hours only. No need to explain anything. No need to provide police certificates and court records.

With New Zealand ETA, you should be able to obtain a Canada ETA more easily.
did you get a canadian ETA based on your New Zealand Eta?

Rehabman

Jun 22, 2022
No, Canada ETA is still in progress and no results yet. Also, I didn’t tell Canada government that my New Zealand ETA had been approved. I always want to do this but I didn’t.
I mean NewZealand isnt as strict as Canada. and i wouldnt do that as it may just agitate the Canadian Reviewing Officer. best would be to wait it out.

why are you inadmissible if you dont mind me asking?

NordkappAsahiBeer

Jun 9, 2022
I mean NewZealand isnt as strict as Canada. and i wouldnt do that as it may just agitate the Canadian Reviewing Officer. best would be to wait it out.

why are you inadmissible if you dont mind me asking?
I think it's better not to disturb the case officers who are processing my ETA application. If I choose to do so, the case officers must be very angry and annoyed.

However, I will mention that my New Zealand ETA was approved, when I am required to explain anything in the next steps. I will also mention this point when I am applying for Rehabilitation.

I am inadmissible due to the criminality. I think I AM FULLY deemed rehabilitated.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have no idea about this. But if I can tell Canada government that I have a New Zealand ETA, it would be very perfect.
This is irrelevant for the purposes of your Canadian eTA and determining whether you are deemed rehabilitated. Whether you are deemed rehabilitated or not is determined based on Canadian immigration and criminal laws. NZ's laws don't factor into the equation and are irrelevant.

Reactions: Copingwithlife

NordkappAsahiBeer

Jun 9, 2022
This is irrelevant for the purposes of your Canadian eTA and determining whether you are deemed rehabilitated. Whether you are deemed rehabilitated or not is determined based on Canadian immigration and criminal laws. NZ's laws don't factor into the equation and are irrelevant.
I understand.

NordkappAsahiBeer

Jun 9, 2022
I must tell all the people who have non-serious criminal records today. You must try to apply for New Zealand ETA and you will absolutely have no trouble in the ETA applications. You will get the ETA approved after several hours. Mine was 10 hours only.

You WILL NOT be required to submit the Police Certificate and court records, letters of mitigation and character references. You WILL NOT be asked to explain what crimes are you convicted of.

But please bear in mind that you WILL NOT be able to obtain a NZ ETA if

1. You have been imprisoned for over 5 years.
  2. You have been imprisoned for over 1 year within the past 10 years.

Otherwise, you are eligible to apply for NZ ETA and get the ETA approved. I am just one of the very lucky persons.

I believe with an approved NZ ETA, you can apply for Canada ETA and US ESTA and B1/B2 visas much more easily and conveniently.

I don’t guarantee if you can get NZ ETA approved or not. But my situation is special. I had travelled to NZ in May 2019 and no ETA was required at that time. I answered ‘no’ in a criminal record question because I had never been imprisoned for over 12 months. I was successful to enter in NZ. I also applied for a Police Certificate of NZ and the certificate showed that I had no criminal records in NZ.