+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Criminal records for study permit

SojunJung

Oct 7, 2018
Hello guys,

I'm currently preparing all necessary docs for a study permit.
Just wondering why 'criminal record' doesn't show up in my list although it seems an essential thing.

Herewith the docs CIC requested.
- IMM1294
- Letter of acceptance
- Passport
- Proof of means of financial support
- Digital photo
- Proof of medical exam

+Optional (as it says, I'm not going to upload docs because it's optional)
- Schedule 1 (IMM5257)
- Client information

Do you know why? Is it true that only above docs are all to be prepared?
I used to live in Germany for approximately 4 years and I'm currently living in South Korea.
If I have to upload the criminal record somewhere, do I have to upload for Germany and South Korea both?

Thanks for your help in advance.

lferfga

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018
Check the visa office instructions for wherever you're applying from, it has a better list of the documents you need. For example, I had the same list as you have there, but my office also wanted a study plan, so I uploaded that under "client information."

You can select your country here and get your list:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/English/information/applications/student.asp

Here's the office instructions I got when I selected South Korea, looks like you have some additional things to put under "client information"
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5836E.pdf

You might also want to contact your local VAC for more info on the criminal background thing, sounds like you also need one for Germany in your case.

Reactions: SojunJung

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Edit: Criminal record depends on country I guess. For the online application what most people do is join all the extra documents into one pdf and upload it under the optional client information field.

If you have a criminal record there is a section in the application form where you have to disclose it.

Last edited:

lferfga

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018
Criminal record check is not required for a study permit. If you have a criminal record there is a section in the application form where you have to disclose it.
The document checklist for his visa office does seem to request police certificates, though... I linked it above.

"Republic of Korea: Criminal and Investigation History record. Original and notarized translation, if applicable, is required."

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
The document checklist for his visa office does seem to request police certificates, though... I linked it above.

"Republic of Korea: Criminal and Investigation History record. Original and notarized translation, if applicable, is required."
Yeah, edited my post. I see it even says you need one for each country you have lived for 6 months in, weird that this is required for Korea.