Toronto
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Med's Request
15-08-2018
Med's Done....
28-08-2018
Question regarding police checks:

I had posted awhile back about my spouse (inland - spousal sponsorship) having a minor conviction on his record stemming from one bad night in 2014 when his wallet was stolen and he was unable to pay for a bar tab - which is a summary offense here in Canada.

We are getting ready to send in our application package, and in doing all the paperwork, we realized that that one night actually had 2 charges - one for the bar tab, and one for the taxi fare. I looked up the equivalent charge here in Canada and it is also a summary offense.

Both of the unpaid things together came to less than $200 ($91 dollars at the bar, and $100 for the taxi).

Since both the charges were from one event, I'm wondering if that counts as multiple convictions on the police check and results in him being inadmissible?

Any insight?
May I ask what is your timeline for the application ?

My spouse ( inland sponsorship) has a conviction from 2011 for which he paid a fine of 200$ - no jail time. The conviction outside Canada was for vandalism which is an offense that has a different level of importance in Canada.

We did declare the offense in the application and gave details including court information. I was wondering if the officer could request more details or does it immediately end up as a refusal if the details are insufficient ?

Thank you for your help

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
May I ask what is your timeline for the application ?

My spouse ( inland sponsorship) has a conviction from 2011 for which he paid a fine of 200$ - no jail time. The conviction outside Canada was for vandalism which is an offense that has a different level of importance in Canada.

We did declare the offense in the application and gave details including court information. I was wondering if the officer could request more details or does it immediately end up as a refusal if the details are insufficient ?

Thank you for your help
There is no such thing as an immediate refusal.

If they are planning to reject your application, they will always send a letter of procedural fairness first, advising you of this and allowing you the opportunity to provide more information.

Reactions: Cherry Kola

Maya Canada

Star Member
Sep 25, 2018
hi I need some advise - my spouse has been in Canada for several years without status a failed refugee claimant. He complied with IRCC / CBSA and left. I submitted an overseas sponsorship app in February 2018. he has a conviction in Canada of fraud Under 4 years ago not for immigration unrelated and during his immigration detention they used that time as time in jail he received 4 months sentence 36(1) b. His criminal matter was complicated cod nowe provided all evidence of our marriage and various documents to prove our relationship is genuine we are worried will they approve the application for landing because of the conviction and or will he get a TRP we have been together for 17 years. Arc will be needed Also, Please reply thanks