+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Criminal charge is dropped.

lsje1928

Aug 9, 2010
I was charged with a crime, but it ws dismissed. What information will canada need for immigration purposes?

Also, will it be possible to go through the immigration process without my spouse finding out about the criminal charge that was dismissed?

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
That will depend a lot on whether the offence (or the arrest) shows up on the criminal clearance/police check that you have to submit with your application for PR. A past criminal conviction can make an applicant for PR inadmissible to Canada - so something like this showing up on your clearance can make your immigration process very complicated. It's hard to know exactly what transpired based on your description that the charge was dismissed, but if you were arrested and the arrest shows up, you're going to have to provide documentation with your application that the charges were dropped.

You need to submit with your PR application a police check from every country in which you've resided for more than six months since turning 18 years of age. I'd say go ahead and order the check that might show this offence and go from there. Depending on what does or doesn't show up, we can probably advise further.

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
While I appreciate you wish to hide this aspect of your past life from your wife (we all have secrets), please note, if your wife finds out during the sponsorship/pr process, she can withdraw the application.

You must also put yourself in her shoes, that is, she is undertaking to support you for three years and has to repay the Government if you end up in welfare. If she finds out mid way, she may deem you not worth the risk, if its an issue that she feels she cannot deal with to salvage the relationship.

The best bet is to apply for the police clearance and first review what it says. Then you can go from there.

I wish you all the best.

I

iarblue

The past crime even though dismissed will still show on a criminal search,it will just show dismissed but will still show.I had a charge on me of assult years ago when i was a bouncer at a club when i did the criminal search for a job that asked for it ,even though it was dismissed it still showed,and even if it doesnt show when they do the criminal search which is much more indepth it will be there.
And nothing could make a person loose trust in you fast as to her finding out from someother way than you.Be honest,today like you should be all through your marriage.

addntox

Star Member
Apr 23, 2010
Declare it, on forms check the no box for the convictions but write in there you were once charged with the offence in question and give brief details. You're not inadmissible under the IRPA, they may ask for more details 50/50. But it's good if you're upfront with them from the outset

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
addntox said:
Declare it, on forms check the no box for the convictions but write in there you were once charged with the offence in question and give brief details. You're not inadmissible under the IRPA, they may ask for more details 50/50. But it's good if you're upfront with them from the outset
but it leave the other issue for him...both the sponsorship application and the PR application is sent in one package for CIC and his wife will see it because she will be the one sending in the entire package.

addntox

Star Member
Apr 23, 2010
Honesty is the best policy. In my opinion concealing things isn't the best thing to do. When evauluating things like this you have to look at it from every possible outcome. Is there possibility of misrepresentation?what if because violence was involved they wish to interview about it. Coming clean plays an importan part in how CIC evaluate these things. My conviction wasn't something I wanted to disclose, but I was young at university, caught up in a part of that sub culture. It was a mistake, but for immigration the coming clean seemed important. I disclosed the incident with everyone including my employer who supported me and wrote letters to immigration. Were human and not above making mistakes. Honesty can be a hard pill to swallow but the best medicine.

I

iarblue

It would be worse if your wife went to an interview and they asked her about it and she said i have no idea,then they will assume there is a lot about you she does not know.Make sure your wife knows everything about you,if they catch her in the interview not knowing something then they fell maybe she dont know you?????Dont let this happen.Do you really want your wife finding out about your past from you or immigration?

xyca2015

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
I was charged with a crime, but it ws dismissed. What information will canada need for immigration purposes?

Also, will it be possible to go through the immigration process without my spouse finding out about the criminal charge that was dismissed?
Hi despite your situation was your permanent residency approved?pls let me know..thank u

sngmng

Jul 8, 2018
GTA

hi, how did your immigration process go? i have a withdrawn charge not sure if i should reveal it when crossing the border to validate my PR

xyca2015

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
hi i am in the same situation.... i have a withdrawn charge and im about to go flagpoling.. kinda nervous about it.
Hi hope everything will be fine..anyway with your dosmissed charged your pr application was approved then?

sngmng

Jul 8, 2018
GTA
Hi hope everything will be fine..anyway with your dosmissed charged your pr application was approved then?
yes i got approved! received my conformation of PR a couple days ago. i think as long as the charge is withdrawn or it's not very serious crimes should be fine.

however i see some posts saying, during landing interview the officer can revoke your confirmation of PR anytime :/

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
hi, how did your immigration process go? i have a withdrawn charge not sure if i should reveal it when crossing the border to validate my PR
lsje1928 was last seen:

Sep 27, 2010