Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-09-2014
LANDED..........
20-01-2015
Hi, I'm not sure if these questions have been answered before and I apologise if they have!
My husband lives in Canada and has sponsored me (I live in the UK), my visa came through the post a few weeks back and I am planning to move in january. My credit history isn't too good, it's not terrible but it's not great. I have been searching around and have read that your credit history does not follow you to Canada, am I correct? Now I have a few little questions.
1. My only form of I'D is my British Passport, so If i showed lenders my Passport, for example getting a mortgage through a Canadian Bank, wouldn't my credit history from the UK come up since I'd be using my British I'D?
2. If it is correct and I have to start afresh with a credit score, what would you recommend to do to build up a credit score? I've read that it would be difficult to get a credit card since I wouldn't have a credit history. So I was wondering what other things I could do to build up one.

Please don't think I am running away from my debt in the UK, I am sorting it all out before I leave. I just want to know about the credit rating in Canada and if it means starting afresh, I want to do it properly and have a great score!
Thankyou in advance :)

SinghLovCan

Jul 21, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
dont know
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kalexandra said:
Hi, I'm not sure if these questions have been answered before and I apologise if they have!
My husband lives in Canada and has sponsored me (I live in the UK), my visa came through the post a few weeks back and I am planning to move in january. My credit history isn't too good, it's not terrible but it's not great. I have been searching around and have read that your credit history does not follow you to Canada, am I correct? Now I have a few little questions.
Depends, what credit cards you use etc.. If they are affiliated with institutions in Canada, then why not.

kalexandra said:
1. My only form of I'D is my British Passport, so If i showed lenders my Passport, for example getting a mortgage through a Canadian Bank, wouldn't my credit history from the UK come up since I'd be using my British I'D?.
Getting a mortgage is not that hard here, but to get a mortgate in Canada you need to have established 1 year of credit history here and perhaps 2-3 years of employment history too. Just make sure you pay your rent, phone bills, utilities on time.

kalexandra said:
2. If it is correct and I have to start afresh with a credit score, what would you recommend to do to build up a credit score? I've read that it would be difficult to get a credit card since I wouldn't have a credit history. So I was wondering what other things I could do to build up one. ?.
You can get a credit card. To get a credit card you need to have a job. They will also do a credit check on you. For that you need to give them your SIN number. Now I do not know if your UK credit history will show up or not. It might and it might not.

kalexandra said:
Please don't think I am running away from my debt in the UK, I am sorting it all out before I leave. I just want to know about the credit rating in Canada and if it means starting afresh, I want to do it properly and have a great score!
Thankyou in advance :)
Back in my mind, that is exactly what I was thinking. A lot of British defaulters from Dubai are not sitting in UK :)

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Credit card companies and credit scores are unrelated. Your credit, good or bad, will not be transferred with you. You will need to start fresh here. The laws governing credit and mortgages are different in every country.

It is actually hard to qualify for a housing mortgage unless you show good stable income. A year of that should do.

You dont need a job to get a credit card. Scotiabank has credit card with $1000 limit for new comers. This should be your first line of credit.

SinghLovCan

Jul 21, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
dont know
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CanV said:
You dont need a job to get a credit card. Scotiabank has credit card with $1000 limit for new comers. This should be your first line of credit.
Maybe that's a new thing they started. My bank said they needed me to be employed before giving a credit card.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SinghLovCan said:
Maybe that's a new thing they started. My bank said they needed me to be employed before giving a credit card.
They have been offering it for the past 4 years at least.