12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
writetosfa said:
Question: Can you "land" at any border? Or are there certain ones that only have immigration services?

Also, and this may be a tougher question. My husband has been working here for 3 years on a work permit. The permit expired in June and we are waiting for LMO results to extend the work permit. He has applied for a renewal so he can continue to work until a decision is made. When he lands, does he just to go Service Canada to get a new SIN? Do you think he will be able to renew his OHIP too without the waiting period?
Only certain crossings have "immigration services." You have to land at one that offers these services. For example, Del Bonita is the closest crossing to Calgary, but we have to go to Carway to land.

This list should help you -make sure to pick a border crossing.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/listing/indexpages/indextype38-e.html

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
jwa007 said:
Also, does anyone know if can I land at a Quebec border if I didn't apply for Quebec (no CSQ)? There's a Quebec border crossing 3 miles from my house, but the closest Ontario border is about an hour and a half drive away.
Yes, but you'll need to have sufficient proof you intend to settle elsewhere in Canada. That means a home outside Quebec, job offer.... the usual stuff. They still may give you a hard time - just be prepared to deal with them being strict.

jwa007

Star Member
Jul 17, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP – Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Nov. 17, 2012
AOR Received.
Nov. 20, 2012
File Transfer...
Feb. 11, 2013
Med's Done....
Aug. 28, 2012
Passport Req..
May 8, 2013
amikety said:
Yes, but you'll need to have sufficient proof you intend to settle elsewhere in Canada. That means a home outside Quebec, job offer.... the usual stuff. They still may give you a hard time - just be prepared to deal with them being strict.
They know me, so I'm guessing if it's allowed they won't give me any problems. One of the "perks" of living in a border town.

sid4ever2009

Apr 29, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02/16/2013
AOR Received.
02/18/2013
File Transfer...
Date Unknown LA to Ottawa
Med's Done....
10/01/2012
Passport Req..
23/08/2013
Anyone have any idea of what I should expect?

I'm Canadian living in Canada, my wife is American living in the US.

CPP Received our application in LA on Feb 18.

Somehow it ended up in Ottawa.

March 12, 2013 - approved to sponsor my wife.

How long do you think it will take? What are the next steps!??

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
sid4ever2009 said:
Anyone have any idea of what I should expect?

I'm Canadian living in Canada, my wife is American living in the US.

CPP Received our application in LA on Feb 18.

Somehow it ended up in Ottawa.

March 12, 2013 - approved to sponsor my wife.

How long do you think it will take? What are the next steps!??
Next step is more waiting! Then you'll get a passport request. Best guess would be 7-8 months from sponsorship approval until she actually gets her COPR.

sid4ever2009

Apr 29, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02/16/2013
AOR Received.
02/18/2013
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
10/01/2012
Passport Req..
23/08/2013
So From March that is November or December?

We aren't going from Application received date?

After they process the application it goes into PPR? That is paspport request?

Then 4 weeks to process the passport and give a PR Card? Is that correct?

Can she travel to Canada while it is processing? Do they require the passport or a photocopy?

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
sid4ever2009 said:
So From March that is November or December?

We aren't going from Application received date?

After they process the application it goes into PPR? That is paspport request?

Then 4 weeks to process the passport and give a PR Card? Is that correct?

Can she travel to Canada while it is processing? Do they require the passport or a photocopy?
That's a guess. It's hard to know because processing times jumped recently from 12 to 14 months (that's to process 80% of cases, but the bulk were being done about 6 months after sponsorship approval). Some CIC resources have supposedly been shifted around to deal with the strike, and the summer months are typically slower for visa processing, so I added 1-2 months to the 6 months to give you a guess.

Normal PPR for Americans is for a scanned copy of the passport that you send by email, then the COPR (usually) comes within 30 days (there are some anomalies - my family got PPR on March 4 and we're still waiting for COPR - so nothing's guaranteed). The actual PR card comes in the mail after you land (I think people are getting them in about two months after landing).

Americans are visa exempt for visits, so she should be able to visit without any problems. She'll need her passport for the travel.

sid4ever2009

Apr 29, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02/16/2013
AOR Received.
02/18/2013
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
10/01/2012
Passport Req..
23/08/2013
Ivanp - sorry to keep hammering you with so many questions but you are very knowledgeable.

I have a few more questions so are these the steps..

Question 1:

Approval - Passport Request (send scanned copy by email) - Wait for COPR (1 month or so) - She crosses the border with which documents? - Then We wait 1-2 months for PR Card - She is official and can apply for work?

Question 2:

When she does land what documents does she need to fill out? I want her to fill them out now to save time and make sure they are filled out correctly.

Thanks!!!!

writetosfa

Star Member
Oct 19, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-12-2012
AOR Received.
11-01-2013
Med's Done....
August 2012
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
12-06-2013
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2013
LANDED..........
18-08-2013
amikety said:
Only certain crossings have "immigration services." You have to land at one that offers these services. For example, Del Bonita is the closest crossing to Calgary, but we have to go to Carway to land.

This list should help you -make sure to pick a border crossing.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/listing/indexpages/indextype38-e.html
Thanks amikety!

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
sid4ever2009 said:
Ivanp - sorry to keep hammering you with so many questions but you are very knowledgeable.

I have a few more questions so are these the steps..

Question 1:

Approval - Passport Request (send scanned copy by email) - Wait for COPR (1 month or so) - She crosses the border with which documents? - Then We wait 1-2 months for PR Card - She is official and can apply for work?

Question 2:

When she does land what documents does she need to fill out? I want her to fill them out now to save time and make sure they are filled out correctly.

Thanks!!!!
Crosses border with passport and COPR.
She can import her household goods duty free as a settler, but needs to declare them on form B4 (you can Google it to find one).

Her COPR gets stamped at the border. The stamped COPR is good to get her an SIN immediately and with that she can work.

The PR is just the permanent card, and she'll get that in the mail 2 months or so after landing, but she can work before getting it.

sid4ever2009

Apr 29, 2013
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02/16/2013
AOR Received.
02/18/2013
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
10/01/2012
Passport Req..
23/08/2013
Thanks,

How long does she have to own her car before she can bring it? She has to own it for 6 months or something right? What if she doesnt? Can she leave it for 6 months and bring it once she has owned it for 6 months?

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
sid4ever2009 said:
Thanks,

How long does she have to own her car before she can bring it? She has to own it for 6 months or something right? What if she doesnt? Can she leave it for 6 months and bring it once she has owned it for 6 months?
Six months. I think it has to be 6 months as of the time of landing (and she'll only land once, even if she brings the car later), but not sure. Otherwise it's subject to duties (the exact amounts vary by province, I believe, but you can find out for sure at the CBSA website http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5114-eng.html). The vehicle also has to be formally exported from the US, so you need to be aware of that as well.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
IvanP said:
Six months. I think it has to be 6 months as of the time of landing (and she'll only land once, even if she brings the car later), but not sure. Otherwise it's subject to duties (the exact amounts vary by province, I believe, but you can find out for sure at the CBSA website http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5114-eng.html). The vehicle also has to be formally exported from the US, so you need to be aware of that as well.
Hi Ivan,
I'd like to jump in on this topic. When my wife is ready to officially land in Canada, we plan on driving up from the US in her car with her stuff. Now the thing is that we aren't sure if we want to have a car in Canada (we will live downtown Toronto so a car is not a necessity but more of a headache and may not be worth the expense). We'd like to try it out for a bit. Because we are unsure, does she still need to officially import it? Or can we tell officials that we may plan on bringing it back to the US and leaving it there (give it to a relative ,etc) and not deal with trying to import it then but maybe import it at a later time?

Thanks

IvanP

Champion Member
Jul 24, 2012
CA-Montréal
Visa Office......
Montreal-citizenship
App. Filed.......
25-09-2017
keesio said:
Hi Ivan,
I'd like to jump in on this topic. When my wife is ready to officially land in Canada, we plan on driving up from the US in her car with her stuff. Now the thing is that we aren't sure if we want to have a car in Canada (we will live downtown Toronto so a car is not a necessity but more of a headache and may not be worth the expense). We'd like to try it out for a bit. Because we are unsure, does she still need to officially import it? Or can we tell officials that we may plan on bringing it back to the US and leaving it there (give it to a relative ,etc) and not deal with trying to import it then but maybe import it at a later time?

Thanks
From what I understand, you have to choose either to import or not import, and they won't let you in as a PR driving a US car if you're not importing it. That's just what I've read here on the forum. My wife and I choose not to bring our US car in just because the export from US/import to US process was more that the car was worth, so we bought a newer used car in Quebec. The taxes were a bit higher, but we didn't have to do the importation and there weren't any modifications required to the car.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
IvanP said:
From what I understand, you have to choose either to import or not import, and they won't let you in as a PR driving a US car if you're not importing it. That's just what I've read here on the forum. My wife and I choose not to bring our US car in just because the export from US/import to US process was more that the car was worth, so we bought a newer used car in Quebec. The taxes were a bit higher, but we didn't have to do the importation and there weren't any modifications required to the car.
Thanks Ivan. It may not be worth the hassle to try.

I was able to bring my car over from the US (I ended up driving it back over and leaving it in the US) when I first moved to Canada. But that was on a work visa a long time ago. Considering the temporary status of a work visa, they probably allow that than someone landing.