12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
aerogurl87 said:
I was born and raised in the US and absolutely hate US border officers. Everytime I go back to the US to visit my family, I get the third degree. "Why are you coming here? What were you doing in Canada for so long?" Blah blah blah, and then I get the glares before being passed through. I hate US customs with a passion.
"I got stuck in a snow drift."

"My sled dogs got sick."

"I used my hair dryer in the Igloo. It melted. I had to stay to help rebuild it."

xbwa

Oct 14, 2012
I don't know why, while reading your post, this suddenly popped up in my head:

This is the transcript of an actual radio conversation between a US naval ship and Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October 1995. The Radio conversation was released by the Chief of Naval Operations on Oct. 10, 1995.

US Ship: Please divert your course 0.5 degrees to the south to avoid a collision.

CND reply: Recommend you divert your course 15 degrees to the South to avoid a collision.

US Ship: This is the Captain of a US Navy Ship. I say again, divert your course.

CND reply: No. I say again, you divert YOUR course!

US Ship: THIS IS THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER USS CORAL SEA*, WE ARE A LARGE WARSHIP OF THE US NAVY. DIVERT YOUR COURSE NOW!!

CND reply: This is a lighthouse. Your call.

aerogurl87 said:
I was born and raised in the US and absolutely hate US border officers. Everytime I go back to the US to visit my family, I get the third degree. "Why are you coming here? What were you doing in Canada for so long?" Blah blah blah, and then I get the glares before being passed through. I hate US customs with a passion.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
xbwa said:
This is the transcript of an actual radio conversation between a US naval ship and Canadian authorities off the coast of Newfoundland in October 1995. The Radio conversation was released by the Chief of Naval Operations on Oct. 10, 1995.
While funny, the actual story is urban legend (The USS Coral Sea was decommissioned in 1992). Further, it turns out to have a long history.

http://www.moaablogs.org/battleofthebilge/2009/03/classic-bilge-the-lighthouse-vs-the-aircraft-carrier/

Never let reality get in the way of a good joke, though.

Dr Eng X

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
frankinto said:
It is to be expected that a country with 10 times the population would have more employment opportunities for the very highly educated. But there are other factors than one's own personal situation - but then again, that would be a very Canadian point of view. For instance, I would be unable to live in a country where I could be comfortable, but where inequalities and crime are so high. But really, what I find deplorable is people who treat Canada as some sort of consolation prize and who complain endlessly about it.
It is way more than just that. In brief US market withstands advanced graduate degrees more than Canada. More research and advanced projects and funds...etc. It is the nature and sources of R&D funding....many more

It is understandable for us "Canadians" to feel offended when criticized however that is the unfortunate truth. Canada is not the place for advanced degree holders. That is very unfortunate for the future of our country. I have known many cases of great disappointments.
and history proves it many times...this is an example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Canada_CF-105_Arrow

aerogurl87

Nov 14, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2012
Doc's Request.
12-02-13
AOR Received.
18-10-2012
Med's Done....
23-04-2012
Interview........
WAIVED!!!! :)
Passport Req..
12-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-03-2013
LANDED..........
10-04-2013
computergeek said:
While funny, the actual story is urban legend (The USS Coral Sea was decommissioned in 1992). Further, it turns out to have a long history.

http://www.moaablogs.org/battleofthebilge/2009/03/classic-bilge-the-lighthouse-vs-the-aircraft-carrier/

Never let reality get in the way of a good joke, though.
It may be an urban legend, but the message is very much true. Alot of Americans have a superiority complex and think that just because they are American citizens, everyone else is beneath them and if you leave their beloved country, you're a traitor. Another reason why I'm happy I don't have to live there anymore.

kfair001

Star Member
Jan 16, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 30, 2012
AOR Received.
October 12, 2012
File Transfer...
October 12, 2012
Med's Done....
June 25, 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
January 29, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
March 25, 2013
LANDED..........
May 27, 2013
frankinto said:
How delightful, another immigrant who doesn't really want to be here! Welcome to Canada!
Agreed. That upsets me. This entire process and being forced to be in a long distance relationship for 2 and a half years now out of the 4 and a half years with my husband who desperately wants to get here and people who don't really want to be here are getting here first. That seems fair. Here's to hoping that CIC reads this forum.

That really makes me angry.

frankinto

Star Member
Mar 15, 2009
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-07-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2013
Dr Eng X said:
It is way more than just that. In brief US market withstands advanced graduate degrees more than Canada. More research and advanced projects and funds...etc. It is the nature and sources of R&D funding....many more

It is understandable for us "Canadians" to feel offended when criticized however that is the unfortunate truth. Canada is not the place for advanced degree holders. That is very unfortunate for the future of our country. I have known many cases of great disappointments.
and history proves it many times...this is an example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avro_Canada_CF-105_Arrow
Canada is doing better than the U.S. on such indicators as GDP per capita, life expectancy, crime, income equality and respect for human rights. It is a fact that foreign-born citizens often have difficulty having their credentials and experience recognized. But no one is owed an interesting position just because they hold superior credentials.

JasonLee

Aug 19, 2012
Folks, can we take the verbal sparring down a notch? This dialog has gone way off topic and doesn't honor anyone.

Canada and the U.S. are both first-world countries, allies and partners. Both have their appeals and both have their drawbacks.

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
kfair001 said:
Agreed. That upsets me. This entire process and being forced to be in a long distance relationship for 2 and a half years now out of the 4 and a half years with my husband who desperately wants to get here and people who don't really want to be here are getting here first. That seems fair. Here's to hoping that CIC reads this forum.

That really makes me angry.
Could not agree more. A trial run is a despicable take on immigration, considering all those people that are in queue behind those 'testers' and that really want to make Canada their permanent home as soon as possible.

Rattles

Star Member
Oct 12, 2011
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-10-2012
Doc's Request.
16-03-2013
AOR Received.
NA
File Transfer...
15-11-2012
Med's Done....
05-08-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-05-2013
LANDED..........
17-05-2013
JasonLee said:
Folks, can we take the verbal sparring down a notch? This dialog has gone way off topic and doesn't honor anyone.

Canada and the U.S. are both first-world countries, allies and partners. Both have their appeals and both have their drawbacks.
Thanks Jason. By the way, enjoyed you in Mall Rats. :)

Dr Eng X

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JasonLee said:

Agree...

Shylox

May 22, 2012
Vancouver, BC/Pittsburgh, PA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 13th 2012
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
October 22nd 2012
Med's Done....
June 7th 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Never got one
VISA ISSUED...
February 21st, 2013
LANDED..........
February 28th, 2013
JasonLee said:

I agree. It's one thing to have a healthy debate, but completely another to make personal attacks on each other.

This place is a support system, lets keep it that way. We are all going through and have gone through the same process.

frankinto

Star Member
Mar 15, 2009
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-07-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2013
JasonLee said:

Of course, but objective information and personal experiences were presented in response to repeated whining, on a forum dedicated to immigration to Canada, about various Canadian disadvantages. One would hope that if we or our spouses didn't want to be in Canada, we wouldn't be writing here.

Dr Eng X

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Shylox said:
I agree. It's one thing to have a healthy debate, but completely another to make personal attacks on each other.

This place is a support system, lets keep it that way. We are all going through and have gone through the same process.
Thanks, I wish people can learn those very basics, to discuss ideas instead of attacking persons

Rattles

Star Member
Oct 12, 2011
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-10-2012
Doc's Request.
16-03-2013
AOR Received.
NA
File Transfer...
15-11-2012
Med's Done....
05-08-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-05-2013
LANDED..........
17-05-2013
frankinto said:
Of course, but objective information and personal experiences were presented in response to repeated whining, on a forum dedicated to immigration to Canada, about various Canadian disadvantages. One would hope that if we or our spouses didn't want to be in Canada, we wouldn't be writing here.
I am not blaming you because I skipped over the attacks but did see a few. I think it's safe to say that everyone on here needs to refrain from verbal attacks at Canada, the U.S. or any other country. I am American and choosing to live in Canada with my wife. I love it here and also love my home country. I find it offensive and ignorant when I see the slams (and honestly the defenses) on anyone or any country. I am soon to be a Canadian PR and citizen but I love my home country as well.