+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CPP-Ottawa

xbwa

Oct 14, 2012
Glassfishct,

Thank you for your response! I am also a Chinese currently holding speciality occupation visa (H1B) in the US. When you mailed you passport, Were you able to get the delivery confirmation, or tracking noticification that you mail was delivered throught the USPS tracking number?

I need my passport to travel to Canada at the beginning of April, so will not be able to submit my passport maybe until April 10ish. Good luck for both of us, it is the last stage. I wish you get your passport back saftely ASAP!

glassfishct said:
Hi, yes you use the PO box address for USPS. I mailed my passport too (I am a Chinese), and I am worried also. Actually I am very worried, please don't lose my passport! But there is no other method, because they do not accept pre-paid envelope...

Dr Eng X

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
parker24 said:
Not really.
That is OK. I respect you and your opinion. The differences are not huge however I think while considering other factors like number of applications, the risks, the security and dangers by far US is better
You can also see other factors which I personally felt it while living during the elections both in US and in Canada.

I am not good in expressing myself

Dr Eng X

Champion Member
Jan 10, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shanmba1174 said:
True US system is far more better and flawless .. CIC screws up big time :)
while considering other factors like number of applications, the security, the risks, and dangers

FAM_Applicant

Mar 2, 2013
Hey Everybody,,

I have a question for those who are applied for visitor extension for their spouses while applying outland :
How long was the extension granted ? Have you included return tickets (as the check list asks for one)

Thanks,

Shylox

May 22, 2012
Vancouver, BC/Pittsburgh, PA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 13th 2012
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
October 22nd 2012
Med's Done....
June 7th 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Never got one
VISA ISSUED...
February 21st, 2013
LANDED..........
February 28th, 2013
FAM_Applicant said:
Hey Everybody,,

I have a question for those who are applied for visitor extension for their spouses while applying outland :
How long was the extension granted ? Have you included return tickets (as the check list asks for one)

Thanks,
It depends on how much you asked for, you could get anywhere between 6 months to a year. And no you don't need a return ticket, I believe I've answered this question before, but I applied for extensions twice and never supplied a return ticket and never had a problem.

The list is just suggested stuff, the only thing you really need to do is show them you'll leave if they tell you to. The first time I applied I forgot to even send a copy of my passport or birth certificate or any other kind of ID and they still approved it. Don't worry so much, they'll just be happy to see that you're making an effort to maintain your status.

Remember you have to apply 30 days before it expires too otherwise you won't have implied status until you get an answer.

glassfishct

Aug 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-09-2012
AOR Received.
17-10-2012
File Transfer...
17-10-2012
Med's Done....
24-08-2012
Passport Req..
06-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-03-2013
LANDED..........
01-04-2013
Hi xbwa, I mailed it using a USPS flat rate envelope, the post office told me I cannot buy a delivery confirmation for mails to Canada. However, I remember when I mailed my stuff to China using the USPS express mail international, I was able to get a tracking number. I think you should try to use express mail and see whether they can give you a tracking number rather than the priority mail I used. Good luck to you also! I will let you know once I receive my passport back.

xbwa said:
Glassfishct,

Thank you for your response! I am also a Chinese currently holding speciality occupation visa (H1B) in the US. When you mailed you passport, Were you able to get the delivery confirmation, or tracking noticification that you mail was delivered throught the USPS tracking number?

I need my passport to travel to Canada at the beginning of April, so will not be able to submit my passport maybe until April 10ish. Good luck for both of us, it is the last stage. I wish you get your passport back saftely ASAP!

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
Dr Eng X said:
That is OK. I respect you and your opinion. The differences are not huge however I think while considering other factors like number of applications, the risks, the security and dangers by far US is better
You can also see other factors which I personally felt it while living during the elections both in US and in Canada.

I am not good in expressing myself
Be that as it may, I've had horrible experience with US border patrol officers, plus my husband and I know several Canadians trying to get PR, they have been waiting 5+ years just to get PR. It's ridiculous for a CANADIAN to be a US PR... Makes no sense. Then again, ANYTHING politics, makes no sense.

Shylox

May 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 13th 2012
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
October 22nd 2012
Med's Done....
June 7th 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Never got one
VISA ISSUED...
February 21st, 2013
LANDED..........
February 28th, 2013
parker24 said:
Be that as it may, I've had horrible experience with US border patrol officers, plus my husband and I know several Canadians trying to get PR, they have been waiting 5+ years just to get PR. It's ridiculous for a CANADIAN to be a US PR... Makes no sense. Then again, ANYTHING politics, makes no sense.
Seriously I lived the in the US for 23 years out of my life and I cannot say one good thing about it, call me un-patriotic but they discriminate, lie and take advantage of their citizens and when my wife wanted to immigrate there, it wasn't even an option because they don't support same sex marriages and we just simply don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars to "invest" her way in. The whole system is flawed, broken and unfair. Say what you will about Canada and CIC but at least they are nice enough to let us come here in the first place and be with our families. I've only been here for a little over a year, but I love it, I would never consider moving back to the US permanently.

Actually I'd like to add something, because of US border officers stupid actions, my wife can't even come VISIT me in the US with out hours of hassle and arguing. Every time she has ever had to fly there to visit me she has had to prepare countless documents to prove to them that she doesn't plan on illegally living there and that she has plenty of ties to Canada, and even then they would never let her stay longer than 2 weeks and always required here to turn in this stupid little card when she got back to Canada to prove to them that she went back home. The lengths that the US goes to keep Canadians out is ridiculous when Canada accepts Americans with open arms.

I just realized I quoted you parker, this isn't aimed at you but at the message you were replying to! Sorry! :p

frankinto

Star Member
Mar 15, 2009
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-07-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
06-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2013
Shylox said:
Seriously I lived the in the US for 23 years out of my life and I cannot say one good thing about it, call me un-patriotic but they discriminate, lie and take advantage of their citizens and when my wife wanted to immigrate there, it wasn't even an option because they don't support same sex marriages and we just simply don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars to "invest" her way in. The whole system is flawed, broken and unfair. Say what you will about Canada and CIC but at least they are nice enough to let us come here in the first place and be with our families. I've only been here for a little over a year, but I love it, I would never consider moving back to the US permanently.

Actually I'd like to add something, because of US border officers stupid actions, my wife can't even come VISIT me in the US with out hours of hassle and arguing. Every time she has ever had to fly there to visit me she has had to prepare countless documents to prove to them that she doesn't plan on illegally living there and that she has plenty of ties to Canada, and even then they would never let her stay longer than 2 weeks and always required here to turn in this stupid little card when she got back to Canada to prove to them that she went back home. The lengths that the US goes to keep Canadians out is ridiculous when Canada accepts Americans with open arms.

I just realized I quoted you parker, this isn't aimed at you but at the message you were replying to! Sorry! :p
My American partner, who is close to retirement age, cannot wait to leave the U.S. either and we never even considered that I would move in with him. Over the years I visited him dozens of times, and my opinion of the country has deteriorated. Frankly, I would never live there - not that it would be possible, again because then don't recognize same-sex marriages.

However I never had a problem crossing into the U.S. for visits - other than the general attitude of the officers. Yet I have a Canadian friend who is trying to immigrate to the U.S. and she has had all kinds of trouble at the border. I am beginning to think that U.S. border authorities might be sexist (as well as rude and obnoxious).

xbwa

Oct 14, 2012
Thanks! Good luck for both of us!
glassfishct said:
Hi xbwa, I mailed it using a USPS flat rate envelope, the post office told me I cannot buy a delivery confirmation for mails to Canada. However, I remember when I mailed my stuff to China using the USPS express mail international, I was able to get a tracking number. I think you should try to use express mail and see whether they can give you a tracking number rather than the priority mail I used. Good luck to you also! I will let you know once I receive my passport back.

Shylox

May 22, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 13th 2012
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
October 22nd 2012
Med's Done....
June 7th 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Never got one
VISA ISSUED...
February 21st, 2013
LANDED..........
February 28th, 2013
frankinto said:
My American partner, who is close to retirement age, cannot wait to leave the U.S. either and we never even considered that I would move in with him. Over the years I visited him dozens of times, and my opinion of the country has deteriorated. Frankly, I would never live there - not that it would be possible, again because then don't recognize same-sex marriages.

However I never had a problem crossing into the U.S. for visits - other than the general attitude of the officers. Yet I have a Canadian friend who is trying to immigrate to the U.S. and she has had all kinds of trouble at the border. I am beginning to think that U.S. border authorities might be sexist (as well as rude and obnoxious).
That wouldn't surprise me one bit, honestly. The reason they've been giving her problems for all these years is a real kicker, one time when she was coming to visit me she got sent to secondary and they went through her belongings and found a letter that I had written her when we were like 16 and they took that to mean that she was clearly going to move to the US illegally and never come back. Yes, all of this based on a crumpled up 6 year old letter that she only carried with her so that we could include it as proof of relationship in MY application for PR in Canada. And they KEPT the letter! Idiots.

FAM_Applicant

Mar 2, 2013
Shylox said:
It depends on how much you asked for, you could get anywhere between 6 months to a year. And no you don't need a return ticket, I believe I've answered this question before, but I applied for extensions twice and never supplied a return ticket and never had a problem.

The list is just suggested stuff, the only thing you really need to do is show them you'll leave if they tell you to. The first time I applied I forgot to even send a copy of my passport or birth certificate or any other kind of ID and they still approved it. Don't worry so much, they'll just be happy to see that you're making an effort to maintain your status.

Remember you have to apply 30 days before it expires too otherwise you won't have implied status until you get an answer.
Thanks Shylox again for response. I have few days left before sending the application and was reading about the return ticket on the checklist. I am asking for year extension,I just sent the application in January..How long did they grant you in the extension ?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Shylox said:
The current US immigration system is entirely broken and the refusal to recognize same sex relationships is just one aspect of that broken-ness. To be honest, I'd given up hope of ever seeing that change but I now hold out some hope. While much of the US commentary is about Hollingsworth v Perry (the California Proposition 8 case) I suspect that the more likely case to impact immigration is United States v Windsor - and it's a tax case. But if upheld, it would be the end of this particular aspect of immigration discrimination in the US. For us at least, it's moot.

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
parker24 said:
I've also had bad experiences - but you do not want me to get started on that. To show how laid back Canada is, a US PR can enter Canada without a Visa (when from a country that is not visa-exempt); HOWEVER, a Canadian PR cannot enter the US without a visa when not visa-exempt.