Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Never got one
VISA ISSUED...
February 21st, 2013
LANDED..........
February 28th, 2013
LOL thanks guys I'll look into it further. We're in Vancouver I'm not sure if there's a pedestrian way through the border here or not. Hopefully we don't get tazed or something! :eek: hahaha

lunas

Champion Member
Apr 10, 2012
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09/07/2012
AOR Received.
11/07/2012
Med's Done....
8/15/2012
Passport Req..
03/14/2013
LANDED..........
04/19/2013
Shylox said:
LOL thanks guys I'll look into it further. We're in Vancouver I'm not sure if there's a pedestrian way through the border here or not. Hopefully we don't get tazed or something! :eek: hahaha
Hahahaha oh wait...anything can be expected at the US border lol

spacedog30

Aug 27, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-09-2012
Doc's Request.
01-03-2013
AOR Received.
15-10-2012
Med's Done....
13-07-2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
27-03-2013
Ok..all this talk of borders and landing has led me to ask this queation, which may be a stupid one:

Do I have to go to the actual border to land, or can I just fly where I'm moving and do it at the airport via security? Once I fly there, do I have to drive to the border??

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
spacedog30 said:
Ok..all this talk of borders and landing has led me to ask this queation, which may be a stupid one:

Do I have to go to the actual border to land, or can I just fly where I'm moving and do it at the airport via security? Once I fly there, do I have to drive to the border??
No need to drive. If you fly, you'll land with the immigration officers at the airport (any international flight would land at an international airport with immigration services that can clear you for entry). The full list of posts is available at http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/listing/indexpages/indextype38-e.html

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Shylox said:
Yes, you can walk through Peace Arch Park. There are actually signs for pedestrians as well. You can park further up (by the Canadian side, either in the lot near duty free, or along the access road there, or even on the other side where the BC welcome centre is located.)

US Citizens cannot obtain administrative refusals - you have to get your passport stamped and then go back to Canada.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
spacedog30 said:

Technically you have to come in by a "Port of Entry" - which includes the international airports as well as land border crossings. Not all ports of entry can process immigration matters, so definitely check the list Oh Canada! posted - it also shows the times for services at the various border crossings.

thedreadedpiper

Star Member
Feb 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-11-2012
File Transfer...
11-03-2013
Med's Done....
15-10-2012
Passport Req..
18-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
24-10-2013
computergeek said:
Yes, you can walk through Peace Arch Park. There are actually signs for pedestrians as well. You can park further up (by the Canadian side, either in the lot near duty free, or along the access road there, or even on the other side where the BC welcome centre is located.)

US Citizens cannot obtain administrative refusals - you have to get your passport stamped and then go back to Canada.
Yes that right. I've walked through to flagpole at Peace Arch and it's actually quite a nice walk (on a nice day at least!).

spacedog30

Aug 27, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-09-2012
Doc's Request.
01-03-2013
AOR Received.
15-10-2012
Med's Done....
13-07-2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
27-03-2013
OhCanadiana said:
No need to drive. If you fly, you'll land with the immigration officers at the airport (any international flight would land at an international airport with immigration services that can clear you for entry). The full list of posts is available at http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/listing/indexpages/indextype38-e.html
Thank you :)
That's what I thought, but..the more I read and the longer I wait, stuff just becomes confusing.
This all may drive me to drink. Or..drink MORE.

spacedog30

Aug 27, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-09-2012
Doc's Request.
01-03-2013
AOR Received.
15-10-2012
Med's Done....
13-07-2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
27-03-2013
computergeek said:
Technically you have to come in by a "Port of Entry" - which includes the international airports as well as land border crossings. Not all ports of entry can process immigration matters, so definitely check the list Oh Canada! posted - it also shows the times for services at the various border crossings.
Thanks... I will. I found a similar list, and both are helpful.

spacedog30

Aug 27, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-09-2012
Doc's Request.
01-03-2013
AOR Received.
15-10-2012
Med's Done....
13-07-2012
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
27-03-2013
This site seems to be useful..I can't say for sure as I haven't yet crossed a border (aside from flying).
Just thought I'd share in case it helps anybody. :) If I end up driving all my stuff there, I'll have to time it right so I'm not stuck in awful traffic and waiting for an agent. The one I'd use is a very busy crossing for trucks.

http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/

Shylox

May 22, 2012
Vancouver, BC/Pittsburgh, PA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 13th 2012
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
October 22nd 2012
Med's Done....
June 7th 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Never got one
VISA ISSUED...
February 21st, 2013
LANDED..........
February 28th, 2013
computergeek said:

thedreadedpiper said:
Yes that right. I've walked through to flagpole at Peace Arch and it's actually quite a nice walk (on a nice day at least!).
Thank you guys! This means I can land sometime this month instead of whenever CIC decides I can. Now to find a friend willing to drop us off near the border lol

Whats the difference between getting a refusal thing and having to get my passport stamped?

thedreadedpiper

Star Member
Feb 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-11-2012
File Transfer...
11-03-2013
Med's Done....
15-10-2012
Passport Req..
18-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
24-10-2013
Shylox said:
Thank you guys! This means I can land sometime this month instead of whenever CIC decides I can. Now to find a friend willing to drop us off near the border lol

Whats the difference between getting a refusal thing and having to get my passport stamped?
As a New Zealander, when I went down to activate a work permit I did not technically enter the U.S., I just told them I was "flag poling" which is a term for leaving Canada and coming back in. They understood completely and other than giving me good humoured grief for wanting to live where everyone says "eh" and watches "that girly sport hockey" it was very straightforward. It's not the same as actually being refused entry to the U.S., it's just a record that you were at the border but didn't seek entry. I had no problem with entering the U.S., but it saved me the $6 for issuing a new I-94W card in my passport!

If you're a U.S. citizen you can't be "refused" entry to the U.S. like us foreigners, so you'll be admitted to the U.S. and then come back to Canada. Just tell them at the US border what you're doing and you'll be fine.

I got to thinking while I was walking through that when you're in between the two border agency buildings, are you technically not in either country? Totally not relevant, just something I always wondered!

Shylox

May 22, 2012
Vancouver, BC/Pittsburgh, PA
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 13th 2012
AOR Received.
N/A
File Transfer...
October 22nd 2012
Med's Done....
June 7th 2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Never got one
VISA ISSUED...
February 21st, 2013
LANDED..........
February 28th, 2013
thedreadedpiper said:
As a New Zealander, when I went down to activate a work permit I did not technically enter the U.S., I just told them I was "flag poling" which is a term for leaving Canada and coming back in. They understood completely and other than giving me good humoured grief for wanting to live where everyone says "eh" and watches "that girly sport hockey" it was very straightforward. It's not the same as actually being refused entry to the U.S., it's just a record that you were at the border but didn't seek entry. I had no problem with entering the U.S., but it saved me the $6 for issuing a new I-94W card in my passport!

If you're a U.S. citizen you can't be "refused" entry to the U.S. like us foreigners, so you'll be admitted to the U.S. and then come back to Canada. Just tell them at the US border what you're doing and you'll be fine.

I got to thinking while I was walking through that when you're in between the two border agency buildings, are you technically not in either country? Totally not relevant, just something I always wondered!
Good to know. I guess since I have to actually go through to the US I have to wait behind anyone else whos in line. Is that the only difference? My wife will be with me and shes Canadian so hopefully they will let her come with me so I don't have to walk alone LOL

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Shylox said:
Good to know. I guess since I have to actually go through to the US I have to wait behind anyone else whos in line. Is that the only difference? My wife will be with me and shes Canadian so hopefully they will let her come with me so I don't have to walk alone LOL
I landed at Douglas (the Canadian side of Peace Arch) and I dragged my Canadian spouse along without any problems. I did have to go inside secondary on the US side (the referral slip said "flag pole") to get my passport stamped and had to wait 5 minutes or so for it. We both had to show our passports but only mine got stamped.

We ended up driving into Blaine (the US side of Peace Arch) and turning around (the "Return to Canada" ramp was barricaded for some reason). Pulled up to the booth (Nexus rocks!) and the officer wrote us a referral slip ("landing") and we pulled in and walked inside to Lane 'B'. I handed over my paperwork the officer said to go sit down, I did a status update on Facebook and the officer called me back up.

Remember that if you are importing anything you need to bring your B4/B4A forms at the same time. You don't need the goods (they can be "goods to follow") but they do want the forms.

glassfishct

Aug 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-09-2012
AOR Received.
17-10-2012
File Transfer...
17-10-2012
Med's Done....
24-08-2012
Passport Req..
06-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-03-2013
LANDED..........
01-04-2013
wjszxw said:
I am so upset :'( I have a job lining up in Toronto, now this is the case, i dont know how long does it take to get the VISA again :'(
Hi wjszxw, because you already have an offer letter, maybe you should try to get a working permit first? If you have already received LMO, you can just go to the boarder to get your working permit.