+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COVID 19 Related Lay Off - BC PNP - PR APPLICAION SENT

Mparzzy

May 1, 2020
I applied under provincial nominee so I dont have points to lose and no employment restriction on my Nomination certificate. That's why my agent told me that I can try to apply, even they refuse it my Application is still fine.
I am In same boat. So as per your agent, if you are unemployed there is no effect on your PR processing?

assen89

Jun 30, 2017
Thats exactly what happened to me, I applied for my PR in December 2019, and I got the points under the BCPNP, I have a closed visa, I was working in a film studio, when the industry left because of COVID-19, My employer laid us off, my consultant told me that I should try to look for a new sponsored job Meanwhile and wait a little bit to see if the government of Canada has some solution for us that apparently, there are a lot of people in the Same situation. So I am trying to be positive and look for A new sponsored job meanwhile. but lets be honest at this time, that would be impossible, so more likely my PR will be rejected because my PNP points will be withdrawn. And I’ll have to give up everything and go back to my country. This situation sucks!
When I called the call centre, they said there are thousands of people in the same situation. And this is unprecedented and the officer's reviewing your file, will take that into account. I think in the coming weeks they may release guidelines on how to handle many applicants that got laid off due to the pandemic.

mamong

Star Member
Nov 13, 2019
I'm in a similar boat, BC PNP, Entry Level Semi-skilled (ELSS) stream, paper-based application, inland, closed work permit, business is currently closed and they are letting me go.

I just saw that way to apply for a new closed work permit from IRCC if I can find a new employer. What I don't understand is that when I applied for my current work permit, my employer paid the compliance fee, and I used my PNP work permit support letter to apply but if I'm changing employers, don't I have to update PNP and see if (hope) they will continue to support my nomination?

It's like I need BC PNP to confirm their continual nomination of me in order to get this work permit but I can't work for another employer unless I receive a new work permit?? It's like circular and it makes me think a new employer will think this is too much hassle? :'(

Any ideas folks? Thank you!

Last edited:

giovangonzalez

Mar 24, 2018
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Hey mamong

I just found that the BC PNP published an Addendum about the impacts of COVID-19 in all PNP stages:

https://www.welcomebc.ca/getmedia/2a73e874-0d2c-4277-a4fd-178c90a8fb87/BC-PNP-Skills-Immigration-and-Express-Entry-BC-Program-Guide_Addendum.pdf.aspx

In page 13 they talk about "Nominees".

Even they say:
"Continued Support for Nomination
Until further notice, acceptance of federal or provincial financial support during COVID-19 will not affect your nomination. However, nominees are expected to continue to meet the conditions of nomination, including demonstrating your intent to reside and ability to economically establish in B.C. in order for the BC PNP to continue to support your nomination."

mamong

Star Member
Nov 13, 2019
Hey mamong

I just found that the BC PNP published an Addendum about the impacts of COVID-19 in all PNP stages:

https://www.welcomebc.ca/getmedia/2a73e874-0d2c-4277-a4fd-178c90a8fb87/BC-PNP-Skills-Immigration-and-Express-Entry-BC-Program-Guide_Addendum.pdf.aspx

In page 13 they talk about "Nominees".

Even they say:
"Continued Support for Nomination
Until further notice, acceptance of federal or provincial financial support during COVID-19 will not affect your nomination. However, nominees are expected to continue to meet the conditions of nomination, including demonstrating your intent to reside and ability to economically establish in B.C. in order for the BC PNP to continue to support your nomination."
Hi giovangonzalez, thanks so much for your message. Yes I did read that too but because my employer has terminated / let me go because of this pandemic, I'm not very confident BC PNP will consider me as still meeting the conditions of the nominations. I wish my employer just left me in "lay-off" - it would seem that there would be more hope for me in that situation but instead they chose to terminate me and my coworkers, I don't know why!!