+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COVID 19 Related Lay Off - BC PNP - PR APPLICAION SENT

orcafusion

Feb 28, 2019
Hi all!

I sent my Permanent Residence application in January 2020 which is supported by a Provincial Nomination. I applied in the Entry Level and Semi Skilled Category (by paper) with a processing time of 18 months. I am currently on a closed work permit which is employer and position specific. I am currently working in Whistler and the employer is still open for business. However due to the growing concerns of COVID 19. If the business were to close temporarily, what would happen to my PR application? If I am 'laid off' temporarily, I would claim EI with hope that the situation improves and the business re opens, then I would be able to get my job back and continue work and my PR application should be okay. If I do not get my job back, am I able to change jobs and change the employer and positions on the closed work permit, and does this need to be a similar position? And if I leave the country, what happens to my PR application?

I have tried to contact the IRCC however their contact centre is closed. I will be sending a case specific enquiry however I am sure it will take them much longer than the specified 10 days response time. I am just wondering if there is anyone in a similar position and any advise or information is appreciated!

Thank you.

Reactions: Henrymoto

davidITD

Star Member
Dec 12, 2019
Hi all!

I sent my Permanent Residence application in January 2020 which is supported by a Provincial Nomination. I applied in the Entry Level and Semi Skilled Category (by paper) with a processing time of 18 months. I am currently on a closed work permit which is employer and position specific. I am currently working in Whistler and the employer is still open for business. However due to the growing concerns of COVID 19. If the business were to close temporarily, what would happen to my PR application? If I am 'laid off' temporarily, I would claim EI with hope that the situation improves and the business re opens, then I would be able to get my job back and continue work and my PR application should be okay. If I do not get my job back, am I able to change jobs and change the employer and positions on the closed work permit, and does this need to be a similar position? And if I leave the country, what happens to my PR application?

I have tried to contact the IRCC however their contact centre is closed. I will be sending a case specific enquiry however I am sure it will take them much longer than the specified 10 days response time. I am just wondering if there is anyone in a similar position and any advise or information is appreciated!

Thank you.
you need to contact them through web form, they have closed the phone line.

Reactions: adamkhang

NovaScotiaMX

Dec 16, 2019
@orcafusion I have the same situation. PR application is in progress and I am on a closed work permit, the company I work for already started laying off people. If they will lay me off, not sure If I can apply for unemployment or change the status on my work permit to an open work permit and try to find a jobe. I have the same questions you have, I will send the web form as well. Let me know what the answer is whenever you get one, and good luck! You are not alone!

Henrymoto

Mar 17, 2020
Hi all!

Thank you.
I have a same question

giovangonzalez

Mar 24, 2018
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Hi guys, I'm in the same situation, the company have not started laying off but it's only matter of time. The actual problem is how to get a new job with a closed work permit. I understand that if there is any change with your job, you will need to report it to BC PNP, but then your nomination can we withdrawn.

I think that hundreds of people are in this same situation.

I'll let you know if I get more information on this, please let me know if you guys have any news.

Reactions: assen89

ANEESHRDD

Jun 30, 2019
Hello All,

I am an Indian National living in United States and have got approval for Canadian PR under Express Entry on March 4th 2020, I was requested to send in my Passport for stamping and received my Initial PR documents and VISA stamped on my passport to travel to Canada on March 16th 2020 and the Expiry date on the VISA is June 15th 2020.

What is the process to travel to Canada once you get the PR card?, I want to get my PR card renewal and return back to United States to complete my Masters Program which I am graduating in December 2020 and planning on moving to Canada Permanently.

I Believe Canada is going to close it's borders for all Countries including United States. Can I delay or request to extend the travel date to Canada due to the Coronavirus Pandemic?

Please advise me on what can be done in my current situation?

Thanks in Advance.
Aneesh

Sgseeker

Star Member
Aug 27, 2019
I think we can try applying on BOWP .. Even though we have still have more than 4 months of work experience. We just need a cover letter explaining the circumstances likd we are laid off and we need to find a new job to pay are bills. There's nothing wrong if we try it, because it will not affect our PR application.

Izakmir

Mar 28, 2020
Thats exactly what happened to me, I applied for my PR in December 2019, and I got the points under the BCPNP, I have a closed visa, I was working in a film studio, when the industry left because of COVID-19, My employer laid us off, my consultant told me that I should try to look for a new sponsored job Meanwhile and wait a little bit to see if the government of Canada has some solution for us that apparently, there are a lot of people in the Same situation. So I am trying to be positive and look for A new sponsored job meanwhile. but lets be honest at this time, that would be impossible, so more likely my PR will be rejected because my PNP points will be withdrawn. And I’ll have to give up everything and go back to my country. This situation sucks!

• Angry
Reactions: adamkhang

Sgseeker

Star Member
Aug 27, 2019
Thats exactly what happened to me, I applied for my PR in December 2019, and I got the points under the BCPNP, I have a closed visa, I was working in a film studio, when the industry left because of COVID-19, My employer laid us off, my consultant told me that I should try to look for a new sponsored job Meanwhile and wait a little bit to see if the government of Canada has some solution for us that apparently, there are a lot of people in the Same situation. So I am trying to be positive and look for A new sponsored job meanwhile. but lets be honest at this time, that would be impossible, so more likely my PR will be rejected because my PNP points will be withdrawn. And I’ll have to give up everything and go back to my country. This situation sucks!
I applied under provincial nominee so I dont have points to lose and no employment restriction on my Nomination certificate. That's why my agent told me that I can try to apply, even they refuse it my Application is still fine.

giovangonzalez

Mar 24, 2018
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes

Mgoods88

Mar 30, 2020
Hi all!

Thank you.
I am in the same situation, however, I know I will eventually get back to work when all resumes. My concern is if we are eligible to claim EI on a closed work permit as our status in Canada depends on being employed by our specific employer. Does anyone know if our EI claims would be processed in this situation?

Kind Regards,

Michael

Amybarar03

Feb 7, 2019
Hi I too facing the same situation I too have a closed work permit and laid off temporarily my question if I apply for CERB will and later on if I opt for EI will that gonna impact my PR application as I am waiting for PPR and don’t want to take a risk

Jazz007

Mar 13, 2020
I have open work permit and my employer laid me off bcoz of covid 19 and i applied for cerb . Does anybody know that will it affect my PR process ?. I already applied for pr in august 2019

plzzzzz help

Ravi saab

Oct 28, 2016
Niagara Falls
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
21-04-2019
Doc's Request.
13-02-2020
Nomination.....
19-06-2019
AOR Received.
21-01-2020
Med's Done....
10-06-2020
I have open work permit and my employer laid me off bcoz of covid 19 and i applied for cerb . Does anybody know that will it affect my PR process ?. I already applied for pr in august 2019

plzzzzz help
Sent them a web form and you also need to inform to your province

Reactions: Loren27