Jaimeavila

Star Member
Dec 3, 2019

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
nj

i have applied to the EI as soon as i got laid off due to the pandemy. I have not got any anser from cra yet. So can i apply to the new CREB benefit?
No, you apply for EI first

“Canadians who are already receiving EI regular and sickness benefits as of today would continue to receive their benefits and should not apply to the CERB. If their EI benefits end before October 3, 2020, they could apply for the CERB once their EI benefits cease, if they are unable to return to work due to COVID-19. Canadians who have already applied for EI and whose application has not yet been processed would not need to reapply. Canadians who are eligible for EI regular and sickness benefits would still be able to access their normal EI benefits, if still unemployed, after the 16-week period covered by the CERB.”

Last edited:

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
I really hope they will. I am 7 weeks short and I do need the score to apply under CEC to get PR or else I have to go back home after spending 100k CAD during the past 2 years.
It is so unfair for to be obliged to stop working due to somethong beyond one's control and be penalized for the short of work experience.
I m on a 1-year post graduation work permit and will be back to work right after my workplace start working again.
I hope they consider this time under EI as work experience or at least extend it.
I don't think they will change the rules, although can't know for sure.

I'm guessing they'll let you extend the duration of people's work permits.

Reactions: Aysherman

VVCanadaVV

Apr 3, 2020
Hi
I got switched to Wage subsidy program after getting two weeks of EI. Because I am getting pay stub from my employer(75% of the 40 hours/week is also 30 hours/week) will that be counting towards total hours eligibility of 1560 hours. I know everyone is confused due to this unfortunate times but any help is highly appreciated.
Thanks.

Jaimeavila

Star Member
Dec 3, 2019
Hi, I have the same question. Did you find an answer to your question
You must to finish 1560 hours in 1 year no matter what. I've been told that from my immigration lawyer. Also I had to finish my hours during covid time in order to get my ITA.

Jessy1209

Dec 17, 2020
You must to finish 1560 hours in 1 year no matter what. I've been told that from my immigration lawyer. Also I had to finish my hours during covid time in order to get my ITA.

Hi, my hours are completed. I have 1560 hours. My only concern is the wage subsidy that I was rehired on. I got only 75% of my pay. Will that affect my application

Jaimeavila

Star Member
Dec 3, 2019
Hi, my hours are completed. I have 1560 hours. My only concern is the wage subsidy that I was rehired on. I got only 75% of my pay. Will that affect my application
As long as that 25% corresponded to 30 hours per week then it's OK. Otherwise you have to complete them some how. Remember that IRCC will ask for pay stubs no for ei proof.

Jessy1209

Dec 17, 2020
My company did not mention the hours on the wage subsidy pay stubs. They provided me with a job letter that they fully reinstated my employment ( 37.5hrs per week) when they rehired me after the layoff

Jaimeavila

Star Member
Dec 3, 2019
My company did not mention the hours on the wage subsidy pay stubs. They provided me with a job letter that they fully reinstated my employment ( 37.5hrs per week) when they rehired me after the layoff
Then you are OK. If you did everything on a valid work permit and you completed what IRCC states 1560 hours in 1 year then you are in a good shape. In my case I was laid off when I was missing 7 weeks to complete no the hours the year so I was thinking due to covid it would be some exceptions but unfortunately no. I had to supplicate to my boss to put me back to work because I had to complete my 7 weeks to get the year. Everything was OK and he rehired me right away so I could finish my year. After I finished the 7 weeks he laid me off again but at least I could send my work experience and nowadays I have been waiting for the CORP.

Jessy1209

Dec 17, 2020
Ok. Yes. I have 1560 hours right now and I worked 2 weeks extra now as I was laid off for 2 weeks in March. I hope that works.

VVCanadaVV

Apr 3, 2020
Hi there

Given that a person has a legal status all the time. It depends on the job letter. In my case I was on wage subsidy for about 3 months(I worked 9 months and was not working for 3 months) and when I asked my employer for job letter they just mentioned the start date of my job, number of hours per week and my current status(working), etc. So that adds up to one year.

Which means I was still employed for those 3 months. Also, I checked my pay stub which added 40 hours per week for the period of time on wage subsidy program even though I was getting paid 75% of my wage.

I got my ITA and will post about any updates.

Enjoy your life and say waheguru.

Last edited:
Reactions: J13