+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Covid - 19 and work experience

Patiently_pr

Mar 14, 2020
Can anyone shed some light on this issue please? If Someone is on a 1 year pgwp to obtain work experience in order to apply for CEC and was laid off due to covid 19, do you know what effect this will have on the accumulation of the work experience? I know this issue is new, but would like to hear your thoughts on something like this. Thank you

Reactions: Aysherman

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Can anyone shed some light on this issue please? If Someone is on a 1 year pgwp to obtain work experience in order to apply for CEC and was laid off due to covid 19, do you know what effect this will have on the accumulation of the work experience? I know this issue is new, but would like to hear your thoughts on something like this. Thank you
The requirement hasn't changed and won't change for sure... Unless you have the 1 year minimum experience you are not eligible for CEC.

There are enough candidates in the pool.

It would be unrealistic and senseless to expect IRCC to start making exceptions or something like that for people who were laid-off due to the pandemia and are consequently unable to meet the 1 year Canadian work experience. That's just collateral damage.

Bad for anyone in this situation, but that's reality.

I'm thinking they might eventually offer extensions to some of these work permits, but that's hard to know. And I wouldn't count on it.

Reactions: Patiently_pr

kuangnam

Aug 25, 2018
No, there are lots of people are lining up for ITA, if you don't accumulate enough hours then IRCC will invite other people. Simple.

Aysherman

Star Member
Mar 23, 2020
Hello friend.
You are not alone.
My work place is shut down because of the state of emergency due to COVUD 19. My one year would have been in 7 weeks. I am so desperate. I do not know whether they are going to count the weeks under EI in my experience or extend my work permit or even worse do nothing about it.

Reactions: Patiently_pr

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
L
This might be helpful in your case if you PGWP is about to expire:
Source:https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-special-measures.html

Temporary residents who are currently in Canada are able to apply to extend their status online if they need to extend their status. A temporary resident who has applied to extend their status is allowed to remain in Canada until a decision is made on their new application, even if their initial status expires while they are waiting for that decision. This is called implied status.

They should not travel to a port of entry (POE) to apply directly to a border services officer. Travelling to a POE from inside Canada for the purpose of getting immigration services is not considered essential travel, and they will not receive these services.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
L

This might be helpful in your case if you PGWP is about to expire:
Source:https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-special-measures.html

Temporary residents who are currently in Canada are able to apply to extend their status online if they need to extend their status. A temporary resident who has applied to extend their status is allowed to remain in Canada until a decision is made on their new application, even if their initial status expires while they are waiting for that decision. This is called implied status.

They should not travel to a port of entry (POE) to apply directly to a border services officer. Travelling to a POE from inside Canada for the purpose of getting immigration services is not considered essential travel, and they will not receive these services.
This isn’t relevant for PGWP expiring if someone hasn't applied for PR.

Jaimeavila

Star Member
Dec 3, 2019
Same situation here. In May I will be completing my CEC also I got more than 1560 required hours but due to COVID 19 I was temporarily laid off. CIC will consider my case due to the virus?

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Same situation here. In May I will be completing my CEC also I got more than 1560 required hours but due to COVID 19 I was temporarily laid off. CIC will consider my case due to the virus?
When you complete the 1 year. If you complete more than 1560 hours is completely irrelevant because you can only count the first 30 hours each week, for 52 weeks (30*52=1560), anything beyond that each week does not count.

CEC requirements are still the same, unless they are changed which I doubt, you'll have to wait for this to be over and y lo u can go back to work to complete your minimum work experience

mabrar

Feb 6, 2012
Hi Guys, I have a question related to on going issue COVID-19. I have submitted my PR application documents in the start of March 2020. My application is in process. Due to current situation company is going to layoff employees and shutdown plant for few weeks. In this scenario, If i apply for EI will it make problem in PR application. Is there any link between EI and PR application?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Guys, I have a question related to on going issue COVID-19. I have submitted my PR application documents in the start of March 2020. My application is in process. Due to current situation company is going to layoff employees and shutdown plant for few weeks. In this scenario, If i apply for EI will it make problem in PR application. Is there any link between EI and PR application?
No issues - go ahead and apply.

Reactions: Jaimeavila

Jass98

Star Member
Feb 9, 2018
Hi friends i have a question if our work has closed due to covid 19 and we apply ei . This period will count in experience or not ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi friends i have a question if our work has closed due to covid 19 and we apply ei . This period will count in experience or not ?
Under the current rules, this does not count as work experience. It's possible IRCC will change the rules because of COVID. However so far they haven't made any announcements about this yet.

Reactions: Jaimeavila
Mar 28, 2020
´Good evening house, I am from Africa, but I live in Brazil with 10 years PR . I would love to know the best way to apply for Canada visa. Please I would love to know if anyone can help me know the best means to follow-up

Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Aysherman

Star Member
Mar 23, 2020
Under the current rules, this does not count as work experience. It's possible IRCC will change the rules because of COVID. However so far they haven't made any announcements about this yet.
I really hope they will. I am 7 weeks short and I do need the score to apply under CEC to get PR or else I have to go back home after spending 100k CAD during the past 2 years.
It is so unfair for to be obliged to stop working due to somethong beyond one's control and be penalized for the short of work experience.
I m on a 1-year post graduation work permit and will be back to work right after my workplace start working again.
I hope they consider this time under EI as work experience or at least extend it.