+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COVID-19 and CoPR/PRV extension !

Dilshant88

Star Member
Jul 18, 2019
Hey Folks,

Just a recap on my situation - Me and my wife received a CoPR in Jan and i did my landing in march. My wife is still in India and her visa expires 16th Jul. Trying to figure out how she can make to canada with the least troubles. Hope I can be of help to people who are in similar situations.

So, I had raised a web form explaining IRCC my wife's situation that she cant travel blah blah blah. A few days back a new message notification popped up on the GIC portal. I think some other member also posted the same message but the gist of it was
- If you have an approved CoPR and can manage to travel before expiry, go ahead and do so. No need to notify IRCC about your plans
- If you cant (before expiry of CoPR); raise the web form explaining them the situation. Let your CoPR expire. When travel resumes, raise another web form notifying them that you are now willing/can travel and they will let you know the next steps. They didnt detail out what would be required but i'm guessing a fresh medical and/or police clearance. But the re-assuring thing was visas will not be outrightly cancelled.

Further in addition to this, on 12th June another notification was issued by IRCC (links below) which basically says
- CoPRs approved before 18th March are allowed to travel and enter canada but must self-isolate for 14 days. This is not in any govt facility, you yourself have to arrange for accommodation. There's nothing really the authorities can do to check if you are following the guidelines but they can give you a surprise visit at your provided address and check if you are indoor. Violation could potentially lead to fines and/or deportation.
- Immediate family members of citizens, PRs, work-permit holders can also travel provided they have a valid travel document (visa, CoPR etc.) and travel is essential and non-discretionary (i.e. not for vacations, religious gatherings etc.). Family re-unification is considered as essential.
- Min stay in Canada needs to be 15 or more days. If it is more than 15 days, it will automatically be considered as essential.
- If any immediate family member needs to come to Canada but for less than 15 days, then a written authorization needs to be taken by sending IRCC an email (IRCC.COVID-TravelExemptions-Exemptionsdevoyage-COVID.IRCC@cic.gc.ca). Some additional details have to be provided and can be found on the link provided below. This can also be applicable to CoPR holders who want to do a landing and go back but be aware you will not get your PR card (current delivery time is 3-4 months) and the next time you travel, you would need another travel document from local Canadian authorities in your country.

Specific Information For Indians who want to really really really want to travel - All the Vande Bharat flights out of India are full now but Lufthansa is operating repatriation flights from 19th onwards from delhi and mumbai. Please check their website for details. They are saying they are only allowing citizens and PRs and technically who hasnt made a landing yet, isnt a PR, so call them before making bookings. Return flights to India on the vande bharat program are available.

I had called up the IRCC office to get details about the authorization request but a lot of this is also my reading into the recent notifications. I might be wrong in assessing some of the information, so please read carefully.

E-Mail received on GIC portal

" Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).
This is in reference to your application for permanent residence in Canada.

We have received your request to extend the duration within which you can confirm your status as a permanent resident. Please be assured that your application will not be refused if you are unable or unwilling to travel as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

If the situation is resolved and you are able to travel within the existing validity of your documents, you may do so. Otherwise, once you and your family members (if applicable) are able to travel, please notify us through the IRCC Web form. At that time, IRCC will respond with the most up to date information we have on next steps.

We invite to visit our website to get the most up-to-date information on how the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) is affecting immigration, refugees, citizenship and passport services: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19.html

Sincerely,
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
canada.ca/immigration "

Links to the new notification released on 12th June

https://www.cicnews.com/2020/06/ircc-provides-update-on-who-can-come-to-canada-0614693.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter-20200617#gs.8shl1c

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/travel-restrictions/non-optional-non-discretionary.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/travel-restrictions.html#travel-restriction-exemptions

Link to the page on how to request authorization

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html#other
Very good information. Thanks for sharing

ankurgupta325

Star Member
Jan 11, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
OINP
MY copr is expiring on June 3 and it seems we are not going to travel by that time. Raised a webform but very generic answer. Hoping some positive announcement on IRCC.
Yes, just wait till regular flights start again and then send email to local VO and Webform. Thats the only way forward till now.

preritkaji

Nov 8, 2017
I have a COPR and i need clarity for " if i apply for Extension, will my re-issued COPR and PRV still be valid for travel under the travel exemptions as stated by IRCC ( COPR issued before 18th March are exempt from travel restrictions)" OR " would the new issue date of COPR makes us ineligible to travel under the current travel exemptions and i will have to wait until Canada open up its international borders " ?

Asked the same via webform.
Anyone has clarity ?

Reactions: Dilshant88

kpatel1988

Star Member
Jun 16, 2020
I have a COPR and i need clarity for " if i apply for Extension, will my re-issued COPR and PRV still be valid for travel under the travel exemptions as stated by IRCC ( COPR issued before 18th March are exempt from travel restrictions)" OR " would the new issue date of COPR makes us ineligible to travel under the current travel exemptions and i will have to wait until Canada open up its international borders " ?

Asked the same via webform.
Anyone has clarity ?
It's all a big fog right now! The closest thing to an explanation is to provide a reply to the IRCC with the webform stating you are willing to travel 60 days prior to actually travelling. They will need at least 60 business days to get back though they often reply well before that timeline.

My guess is that we will be subject to new rules once they re-issue the COPR, not necessarily negative towards us but just new rules as the situation progreses

Psah26

May 19, 2020
Please can someone advise that a COPR/PRV holder is allowed to travel from Air India's ongoing repatriation flights to canada. Is there anyone who has already traveled or has booked tickets to travel by the same. Kindly share your expertise.

Dilshant88

Star Member
Jul 18, 2019
It's all a big fog right now! The closest thing to an explanation is to provide a reply to the IRCC with the webform stating you are willing to travel 60 days prior to actually travelling. They will need at least 60 business days to get back though they often reply well before that timeline.

My guess is that we will be subject to new rules once they re-issue the COPR, not necessarily negative towards us but just new rules as the situation progreses
Thanks for sharing details. Any idea about within what time period before the expiry date we can raise the web form for extension?

kpatel1988

Star Member
Jun 16, 2020
Thanks for sharing details. Any idea about within what time period before the expiry date we can raise the web form for extension?
The official IRCC site says that you can raise a webform before or after the expiry of your COPR stating you were unable or unwilling to travel due to the COVID-19 pandemic. There is a link in the thread to that page.

Dilshant88

Star Member
Jul 18, 2019
The official IRCC site says that you can raise a webform before or after the expiry of your COPR stating you were unable or unwilling to travel due to the COVID-19 pandemic. There is a link in the thread to that page.
Thanks. I have referred to that link.

BillyWescott

May 24, 2019
My CoPR expires 8 August. I have a flight ticket for July to do a soft landing. I'm from the EU and there are flights. However it kind of kills me to have to spend my holidays locked up in an Airbnb.

What are our actual chances to obtain a CoPR extension? Is there ANY risk that they won't extend it?

kpatel1988

Star Member
Jun 16, 2020
My CoPR expires 8 August. I have a flight ticket for July to do a soft landing. I'm from the EU and there are flights. However it kind of kills me to have to spend my holidays locked up in an Airbnb.

What are our actual chances to obtain a CoPR extension? Is there ANY risk that they won't extend it?
I feel you man! I think most likely, they will extend the CoPR. Atleast, that is what it seems like according to the information letters they are handing out. I'm in the same boat with my CoPR expiring June so I had requested for an extension. The risk of not extending it seems almost nil.

going2CA

Sep 16, 2019
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
28-09-2019
Med's Done....
17-10-2019
Passport Req..
09-03-2020
VISA ISSUED...
16-03-2020
LANDED..........
27-8-2020
Yes they are
Please can someone advise that a COPR/PRV holder is allowed to travel from Air India's ongoing repatriation flights to canada. Is there anyone who has already traveled or has booked tickets to travel by the same. Kindly share your expertise.