+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Country of residence issue!

Ibyt

Mar 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am a little confused, I have two country's of residence (Canada and UK) because I have work permit for both countries. I am moving to Canada in May. My questions are:

1) Can state that country of residence is Canada (because My husband is in Canada and Ill be in Canada at the stages of the PR application)
2) Can I include my husbands address Canadian address in my address details since I have spent last 6 months travelling between the UK and Canada
3) I am claiming work experience for my work in the UK till March as that was when I handed in my notice. Should I make my date effective from when I stopped working bearing in mind that I haven't included to and fro trips between UK and Canada since I am resident in both countries.

gecordon

Star Member
Mar 7, 2015
Ibyt said:
I am a little confused, I have two country's of residence (Canada and UK) because I have work permit for both countries. I am moving to Canada in May. My questions are:

1) Can state that country of residence is Canada (because My husband is in Canada and Ill be in Canada at the stages of the PR application)
2) Can I include my husbands address Canadian address in my address details since I have spent last 6 months travelling between the UK and Canada
3) I am claiming work experience for my work in the UK till March as that was when I handed in my notice. Should I make my date effective from when I stopped working bearing in mind that I haven't included to and fro trips between UK and Canada since I am resident in both countries.
I suggest that you write first as place of residence, all time you were working in UK, if you were paying taxes in UK.

Then you change the date of residence in Canada to when you quit working in UK and moving to Canada, you can write future dates in residence, but if when you submit your application, you are still working in UK, I think you should write residence in UK

JB1234

Star Member
Apr 28, 2013
Officially, your country of residence is the place you have stayed the most in the last 18 months and if it differs from your current residence, then you can give the country of residence as your current residence if you are going to stay their in the future until the canadian thing is done.

Ibyt

Mar 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gecordon said:
I suggest that you write first as place of residence, all time you were working in UK, if you were paying taxes in UK.

Then you change the date of residence in Canada to when you quit working in UK and moving to Canada, you can write future dates in residence, but if when you submit your application, you are still working in UK, I think you should write residence in UK
Its not letting me put future dates even tho I have my ticket and I know when I will be in Canada and once I submit my application I dont think I can edit it again.

Ibyt

Mar 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
JB1234 said:
Officially, your country of residence is the place you have stayed the most in the last 18 months and if it differs from your current residence, then you can give the country of residence as your current residence if you are going to stay their in the future until the canadian thing is done.
Thank you, the issue now is address details, what date should I make the living "from" because I am using it as my correspondence address since I will be in Canada at the later stage of my application.

dobes

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ibyt said:

Country of residence is a legal term, with a legal definition. It involves physical presence, though other things, such as ownership of property, a drivers' license or voting rights, enter into it too. It can be a somewhat grey area these days, when people often have close ties to two or more countries.

It seems to me pretty clear that the UK is your country of residence, though that will change soon. In #2 you say that you have spent the last 6 months traveling between the 2 countries, but in # 3 you say that you stopped working in the UK only in March/April. If you were working in the UK, that was your country of residence, assuming you had to be physically present at your job to do it.

I would not put Canada as your country of residence until you land here, intending to stay.

Ibyt

Mar 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dobes said:
Country of residence is a legal term, with a legal definition. It involves physical presence, though other things, such as ownership of property, a drivers' license or voting rights, enter into it too. It can be a somewhat grey area these days, when people often have close ties to two or more countries.

It seems to me pretty clear that the UK is your country of residence, though that will change soon. In #2 you say that you have spent the last 6 months traveling between the 2 countries, but in # 3 you say that you stopped working in the UK only in March/April. If you were working in the UK, that was your country of residence, assuming you had to be physically present at your job to do it.

I would not put Canada as your country of residence until you land here, intending to stay.
It's a tricky situation, my issue is that I don't want my visa office to be London because of country of residence as I will be in Canada when they request for passport.

Ibyt

Mar 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Or I can wait till when I arrive in Canada to submit my application.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ibyt said:
It's a tricky situation, my issue is that I don't want my visa office to be London because of country of residence as I will be in Canada when they request for passport.
There is still a very good chance that your app will either go to London or to the VO for your country of nationality, regardless of stating your residence as Canada.

As the other poster said, it is pretty clear that you reside in the UK; having a Canadian work permit and visiting your husband here does not in any way mean that you are resident here. You need to be honest in the app.

Ibyt

Mar 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
There is still a very good chance that your app will either go to London or to the VO for your country of nationality, regardless of stating your residence as Canada.

As the other poster said, it is pretty clear that you reside in the UK; having a Canadian work permit and visiting your husband here does not in any way mean that you are resident here. You need to be honest in the app.
Hi, I am being honest and never misrepresented any information. I don't have any issue with visa office being London but if they request for passport and I'm already living in Canada, what would I do?

Except if you can send passport to your local visa office irrespective of where your application was treated.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ibyt said:
Hi, I am being honest and never misrepresented any information. I don't have any issue with visa office being London but if they request for passport and I'm already living in Canada, what would I do?
You would just mail your passport to London.

nick.rwth

Oct 7, 2014
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
EE 474 points (6th draw)
canuck_in_uk said:
You would just mail your passport to London.

Not sure, I think she could submit in Canada or US.

visaowl

Star Member
Mar 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ibyt said:
I'll email CIC, anyone has CIC contact email please?
You are not a resident of Canada. You have not lived here. You don't have a Canadian health card, and you are not eligible to get one. Youhaven't paid any utility bill here or have had any other services. I don't know why you think having a work permit means your residence is Canada. You have substantial ties to Canada by virtue of your husband being a resident, but you are not a resident. You cannot put what is going to happen in future on your application, you only put the present. Once you move to Canada, update CIC with that information and they will ask you before granting you PR about change in address or marriage status; and will send passport request appropriately. This is not the first case they would be dealing with. This is a non-issue and CIC would not even give a straight reply to this one.

Reactions: drunkun