+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Counting working experience between graduation and work permit

Discussion in 'Canadian Experience Class' started by Canm, Oct 4, 2017.

  1. Hello,

    I started working full time after I graduated from college and in the meantime, I applied to my PGWP. I got my work permit 6 weeks after I started working full time. Can I count these 6-week work experience I acquired before my work permit issued as I wasn't a full-time student at that time?

    Thanks so much in advance!
    cata253 likes this.
  2. The work will be counted on your PGWP only so 6 weeks will not be counted.
  3. To qualify for the CEC through Express Entry, you must have:

    • at least 12 months of skilled work experience in Canada, in the last three years (before you apply). The work was:
      • full-time OR
      • an equal amount in part-time
    • gained your work experience in Canada with the proper authorization
    • meet the required language levels needed for your job for each language ability
      • writing
      • reading
      • listening
      • speaking
    • planned to live outside the province of Quebec


    check this out.
  4. Thanks a lot!
  5. Your work experience is authorized from the date you submitted your PGWP application. So as long as you applied for the PGWP before you started working, those 6 weeks will count.


  6. He could work full time but Express Entry needs proper authorization which is a valid work permit to count hours.

    The Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) allows students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience. Skilled Canadian work experience gained through the PGWPP helps graduates qualify for permanent residence in Canada through the Canadian experience class.
  7. He can safely count his work experience from the moment he applied for a PGWP.

    As usual, jes is absolutely spot on.
    gcastrobh, Canm and allawi like this.
  8. "Proper authorization" is granted by legislation (cited on the webpage), it does not need to be a work permit. There are a number of classes of workers who are not required to have a work permit, who nonetheless are authorized to work.
  9. #9 Canm, Oct 4, 2017 at 6:02 PM
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    Hi Jes, one last question: I wasn't a full-time student as of September 1st 2016 and started working full-time on September 13, 2016 as I was authorized to work 40 hours a week outside the academic year. I applied to my PGWP on October 16. If I get a letter from my college that says "Graduated on September 1st", is there a chance I can start counting from September 13 (The day I started working 40 hours a week allowed by Study Permit) as I wasn't a full-time student and legally authorized to work in Canada?
  10. #10 jes_ON, Oct 5, 2017 at 1:02 PM
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
    Under current rules: As of September 1, 2016, the date you stopped being a student, you were no longer authorized to work unless you had applied for the PGWP.

    This change in how post graduation work is handled happened earlier this year - I'm not sure if it was so much as a "rule change" as a change in / clarification of existing rules. The way the rule was handled a year ago, you would have been fine.

    A lot of former students are making this "error", I don't yet know how IRCC is handling it.
    I suspect that you can rely on the rules in place at the time.

    I can see how this might sound contradictory. My advice would be - IF POSSIBLE - to work the extra 5 weeks, and then if IRCC asks about the "unauthorized work," you can explain the rules were different in 2016 (hopefully you can find something in writing to back you up, if it comes to that).
    Canm likes this.
  11. Thanks a lot! I have already declared on my PGWP application that I was working full-time as of September 13 and it didn't cause any problem. Anyway thanks so much again! Have a great day.
    jes_ON likes this.
  12. Hello,

    I found a CIC resource that says:

    "They can continue to work under the Off-Campus Work Permit provided that they hold both a valid study permit and a valid off-campus work permit. Employment during this transition period can be full time."

    Here's the link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2010/ob193.asp

    Would that mean the work experience gained before PGWP application might count toward CEC? Or this rule is no longer in effect?

  13. That was from 2010, when off-campus work permits were in use; they were eliminated in 2014... current rules are here:
    Canm likes this.
  14. I'm on same boat. My employer gave me a reference letter dated when I started working for them after I finished my final exams but I applied for my pgwp 3wks later.
    How should I fill the work history form?

Share This Page