+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Couldn't attend 2 oath appointments, asked to reschedule - is there a way to confirm they received my explanation?

tunafish

Apr 6, 2016
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation.

I received an oath invite as I was leaving Canada for a month-long trip, and sent them my travel booking as proof I couldn't attend. While I was away, they rescheduled me on the same day that I was returning to Canada, so I also couldn't attend. I sent 3 emails through web form, and called 3 times to the call centre. One agent said the Scarborough office only accepts proof by regular mail, so I mailed them the same explanation.

If they did not receive my explanations properly, I only have until March 19th to make sure they didn't mark my application as abandoned. One agent at the call centre said they will definitely reschedule me, but I still have doubts as I have no way of knowing that the Scarborough office received my documents.

Now they suspended everything due to the COVID-19, so I have no idea if I can find out anything.

Did anyone else ever missed their oath appointments? What was your process like to make sure they reschedule you?

Thanks so much in advance!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

I received an oath invite as I was leaving Canada for a month-long trip, and sent them my travel booking as proof I couldn't attend. While I was away, they rescheduled me on the same day that I was returning to Canada, so I also couldn't attend. I sent 3 emails through web form, and called 3 times to the call centre. One agent said the Scarborough office only accepts proof by regular mail, so I mailed them the same explanation.

If they did not receive my explanations properly, I only have until March 19th to make sure they didn't mark my application as abandoned. One agent at the call centre said they will definitely reschedule me, but I still have doubts as I have no way of knowing that the Scarborough office received my documents.

Now they suspended everything due to the COVID-19, so I have no idea if I can find out anything.

Did anyone else ever missed their oath appointments? What was your process like to make sure they reschedule you?

Why didn’t you arrive one day earlier knowing that yoù should only get 2 invitations?

masood8

Oct 3, 2013
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
10-01-2011
Doc's Request.
20-03-2011
IELTS Request
Along File
Med's Request
05-11-2013
Med's Done....
10-12-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
PPR1 05-10-2014 & PPR2 17-11-2014 (Submitted: 18-02-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2015
LANDED..........
29-June-2015
People are desperately waiting for the first oath call, and you missed 2 of them, LOL
don't know what the next step would be since all oath ceremonies are cancelled for indefinite time till further notice due to COVID-19 .
I believe they will contact you in few months, hopefully.

VictorCA

Oct 28, 2015
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-Nov-2015
Doc's Request.
09-Mar-2016
AOR Received.
25-Apr-2016
Med's Done....
08-May-2016
Passport Req..
26-Oct-2016
VISA ISSUED...
1-Nov-2016
LANDED..........
January 14, 2017. Praise God!
People are desperately waiting for the first oath call, and you missed 2 of them, LOL
don't know what the next step would be since all oath ceremonies are cancelled for indefinite time till further notice due to COVID-19 .
I believe they will contact you in few months, hopefully.
Yes, with all oath ceremonies being cancelled until further notice, it might be months before they can re-schedule you. You'll probably be one of the first ones once ceremonies resume, though!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

If your 2nd oath attempt was the 19th of March Covid really saved you. Citizenship is important, you only have 2 shots at the oath so you should have bought another ticket bu5 you got lucky. Next time do whatever you have to make it to the oath.

k300k3

Mar 6, 2019
Talking about oath, I just wanted to share my story here. I was in Asia for 3 weeks when I received my oath. And the oath date was scheduled just a couple days after I was supposed to be back in Canada. So, I was quite happy thinking that things would go according to plan. It was back in between the end of Dec 2019 and beginning of January 2020.

But...just at the beginning of this year January, US and Iran started having so much tension. I waited for a few days but things got worse and worse. I was worried because my return ticket to Canada had the flight that would need to fly over Iran and use Iran’s air territory. And I couldn’t get the refund on the ticket if I wouldn’t use it.

Then, there was a plane crash in Iran. Iran also fired ballistic missiles. I thought there’d be a war because the US was saying this and that too. I made a quick decision that day. I let go of my non-refundable original ticket. I looked for another ticket to come back to Canada from Asia that same night. There was only one ticket left. I did not want to take a risk of missing my oath at all. I bought that one last ticket and I paid US $3,070 (just one way ticket to Canada) and I came back to Canada that same evening.

After I left on the plane, the war did not happen. I made it to my oath ceremony.

Thinking back today, I don’t regret at all about having to spend a bit extra on coming back to Canada. IF there was a war and if I missed my oath at that time, I would still be waiting with uncertainty.

Time, health and human’s life are more important than money in life. I would encourage everyone to make it to their oath ceremony even at the first oath letter because life is unpredictable.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
I couldn't change my ticket, it was non-refundable. Plus, I assumed they received my explanations and were going to reschedule me.
Unsolicited life lessons from an old person:
1. Money is frivolous in the greater scheme of things (see post above mine).
2. "Non-refundable" airline tickets can be negotiated if you are nice and/or lucky enough.

Anyway, as said, as long as you were engaging with IRCC, you're fine, and the cancellation of oaths worked out for you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I used to be the senior agent on the ticket counter for an airline and had to make decisions if a non-refundable ticket would be refunded, and TOTALLY agree with the above about being civil with airline employees when requesting policy being waived. You know the old saying about bees & honey. The being civil to everyone in the service industry would most definitely apply
Airline agents have more power, and when it's appropriate to use, then most people think