+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Could I be eligible for Canadian citizenship?

roper22

Jul 5, 2023
Hi all! My grandmother was born/raised in Canada + is a citizen. My mom (born in USA) recently got her Canadian citizenship + passport a few years ago since her mother is a Canadian citizen. Would I be eligible to apply for citizenship since my mom technically was a Canadian at birth, even if she didn't apply for citizenship until a few years ago?

The IRCC survey seems to indicate I may be, but other sites say otherwise. Feel like it's a no but would make my life a lot easier. Thanks!

Mice

Star Member
Mar 19, 2020
People may not say that your mom was a Canadian at birth, but because she is Canadian who has Canada citizenship. You are her children, you support to apply to get Citizenship follow her.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all! My grandmother was born/raised in Canada + is a citizen. My mom (born in USA) recently got her Canadian citizenship + passport a few years ago since her mother is a Canadian citizen. Would I be eligible to apply for citizenship since my mom technically was a Canadian at birth, even if she didn't apply for citizenship until a few years ago?

The IRCC survey seems to indicate I may be, but other sites say otherwise. Feel like it's a no but would make my life a lot easier. Thanks!
You most likely do not qualify since citizenship through descent is only available to the first generation born abroad (which would be your mom).

Suggest you post your question to the citizenship section of the forum.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You most likely do not qualify since citizenship through descent is only available to the first generation born abroad (which would be your mom)
For OP - while this is likely true ie that won't qualify, do post to the citizenship forum. The question can get complicated because the law changed several times and effects vary depending on the years in question and some other very specific factors. Sometimes the changes narrow, sometimes broaden, sometimes with time limits for taking certain steps.

bryndog1950

Star Member
Dec 14, 2020

Which IRCC survey are you referring to ? Is it the "Am I A Canadian" quiz ?
IRCC Survey | Sondage IRCC (qualtrics.com)
If this indicates that you are probably a citizen, it would likely be worthwhile to apply for a citizenship certificate.
There are definitely exceptions to the one generation rule, depending on exactly when you and your mother were born.

hawk39

Mar 26, 2017

As @armoured and @bryndog1950 have mentioned, the rule regarding the acquisition of citizenship by descent today is determined by what the rule was when the parent and the applicant were born.

In your situation, if your mother was born on or after February 15th, 1977, and you were born before April 17th, 2009, then you are a Canadian citizen by descent because your claim is governed by the 1977 Citizenship Act, and not by the first generation limit of the current Act.