+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

cosign question for sponsoring dependent child

astrodude

Jan 1, 2019
H,

My wife and I are both PRs, and our son is living with us using visitor visa in Ontario.

My question is, do I need my wife to be a cosigner for sponsoring my child? If I can sponsor him by myself, do I need to submit IMM5604(Declaration from Non-Accompanying Parent/Guardian for Minors Immigration to Canada)? Should I explain this to IRCC?

I heard from a friend that if my wife wants to cosign, then we both have to wait a few years if we want to sponsor our elderly parents in the future. Is that correct?

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
H,

My wife and I are both PRs, and our son is living with us using visitor visa in Ontario.

My question is, do I need my wife to be a cosigner for sponsoring my child? If I can sponsor him by myself, do I need to submit IMM5604(Declaration from Non-Accompanying Parent/Guardian for Minors Immigration to Canada)? Should I explain this to IRCC?

I heard from a friend that if my wife wants to cosign, then we both have to wait a few years if we want to sponsor our elderly parents in the future. Is that correct?

Thanks
Your friend is wrong.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks, I will update this information with him to avoid misleading other people.
So if I don’t add my wife as a co-signer, is that OK?
Yes. If you are living in Ontario you also still have years until you qualify to sponsor your parents assuming the program. You then have to secure a spot. The program could also change at anytime making the wait longer.