+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Correct way of completing landing & other formalities now and moving in later

knowAndShare

Star Member
Nov 19, 2015
My date before which I should land in Toronto, Canada is approaching fast however I am not yet prepared for move and so I plan to do following:
1) Do my landing and apply for PR card at the immigration office on airport.
2) Enter Canada and apply for other required documents like SIN and Health Cards.
# For both 1 & 2 provide address of a friend who is residing in different province (Alberta) for delivery of card
and then return to country of origin asap.

My question are:
1) Is my approach(mentioned above) correct? How long does it normally take for this as I will buy return tickets accordingly? Is there anything else I am missing above?
2) I know doing formalities for PR card is important as soon as you land but do I need to apply for SIN card and health card also at the earliest or can I apply for them later when I am prepared for the move?
3) How safe is it to courier documents like PR card, SIN and Health card from Canada to India?

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
knowAndShare said:
My question are:
1) Is my approach(mentioned above) correct?

Why not land in AB given that your friend lives there? It'll just be a little less confusing for the officer writing down your address and maybe avoid a few other questions.

2) I know doing formalities for PR card is important as soon as you land but do I need to apply for SIN card and health card also at the earliest or can I apply for them later when I am prepared for the move?

Depending on when you arrive, you may get the SIN at the airport itself or walk in to Service Canada the next day, takes about 20 mins on a good day. If you are in Ontario, you won't be able to apply for Health card until you've lived in ON for at least 90 days.

3) How safe is it to courier documents like PR card, SIN and Health card from Canada to India?

With FedEx/DHL and the like, should be safe. SIN is just a number and you won't get the Health card on 'short' landing in ON so it's just the PR card.

knowAndShare

Star Member
Nov 19, 2015
Good to see you Asivad, really appreciate your help.

I cannot do landing in AB as I have already booked my ticket for Toronto as work opportunities in my field of work are more here. Also, I thought that I have to apply for SIN and health card also at the time of landing and one should be in same province when applying for health card, so thats my reason for landing in Toronto and since I don't know anyone else in Canada so I will be giving address of a friend who is in AB but will it be a problem if I honestly tell the immigration officer that I am here to complete formalities only and will be actually moving in at a later date?

yankabatkay

Jan 16, 2016
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
27-02-2016
Dear Asivad and seniors!

Finally I've got me PPR (FSW no PNP) and going to do a short landing.

In me original plans and during documents submission I indicated that I would like to live in Ottawa.

10 month has passed and I will probably like to reside in New Brunswick.
I've got two question:
1. Does Ottawa indicated matter something on this stage?
2. I've got very attractive airfares from my location to Toronto or Halifax through Montreal. As Any of these cities is just to activate my PR can I go to Montreal directly and do landing there clearly indicating that I have no intention of living in Quebec and provide a friend address in either Toronto or New Brunswick?

Thanl you

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
knowAndShare said:

I cannot do landing in AB as I have already booked my ticket for Toronto as work opportunities in my field of work are more here. Also, I thought that I have to apply for SIN and health card also at the time of landing and one should be in same province when applying for health card, so thats my reason for landing in Toronto and since I don't know anyone else in Canada so I will be giving address of a friend who is in AB but will it be a problem if I honestly tell the immigration officer that I am here to complete formalities only and will be actually moving in at a later date?
As already explained, you are not eligible for a Health Card on a short landing. You actually have to be resident in the province. Do not attempt to apply for one yet.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yankabatkay said:
Dear Asivad and seniors!

Finally I've got me PPR (FSW no PNP) and going to do a short landing.

In me original plans and during documents submission I indicated that I would like to live in Ottawa.

10 month has passed and I will probably like to reside in New Brunswick.
I've got two question:
1. Does Ottawa indicated matter something on this stage?
2. I've got very attractive airfares from my location to Toronto or Halifax through Montreal. As Any of these cities is just to activate my PR can I go to Montreal directly and do landing there clearly indicating that I have no intention of living in Quebec and provide a friend address in either Toronto or New Brunswick?

Thanl you
Try and not attempt 'landing' in Quebec even if you have an onward connection.

You can 'land' anywhere else in Canada.

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
knowAndShare said:

Do NOT provide unnecessary information to the officer. Just tell them that you are landing for the first time to activate PR.