+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Corona Virus & Visa Expiry

Higgle

Star Member
Sep 22, 2019
I am copr holder.Was abt to fly on 21st.But travel ban.I asked air Canada to give full refund then they say that ur a pr only.You can travel I gave him lot if articles explaining diff between a pr and copr holder.But he is not agreeing What should I do,.Anyways it is there job to find iut whom they can bring?.Pls its urgent.Any one?
Will this help?

Read last title:
Banning entry of foreign nationals by air travel from all countries except the U.S.
Under the Aeronautics Act, the Minister of Transport will require air carriers on flights to Canada to deny boarding to any passenger who is not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, and has resided in any country other than the U.S. in the last 14 days.

For practical purposes, the denial of boarding would apply to:

• all foreign nationals on flights to Canada other than trans-border flights, and
  • any foreign national on a trans-border flight who has resided outside the US and Canada in the last 14 days.
In simple terms, you cannot board a plane to Canada if you have been outside of Canada or the United States in the last 14 days, unless you are a Canadian Citizen, Canadian Permanent Resident or in transit to a 3rd country.

The measure will come into force on Wednesday, March 18, at 12:00 p.m. (noon) EDT. It would not apply to air crews, travelers arriving in Canada in transit to a third country, Canadian Permanent Residents, diplomats, or immediate family members of Canadian citizens.

As this measure applies to travel by air, it does not apply to surface traffic or marine shipping.

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2020/03/new-measures-for-covid-19-response.html

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
Will this help?

Read last title:
Banning entry of foreign nationals by air travel from all countries except the U.S.
Under the Aeronautics Act, the Minister of Transport will require air carriers on flights to Canada to deny boarding to any passenger who is not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, and has resided in any country other than the U.S. in the last 14 days.

For practical purposes, the denial of boarding would apply to:

• all foreign nationals on flights to Canada other than trans-border flights, and
  • any foreign national on a trans-border flight who has resided outside the US and Canada in the last 14 days.
In simple terms, you cannot board a plane to Canada if you have been outside of Canada or the United States in the last 14 days, unless you are a Canadian Citizen, Canadian Permanent Resident or in transit to a 3rd country.

The measure will come into force on Wednesday, March 18, at 12:00 p.m. (noon) EDT. It would not apply to air crews, travelers arriving in Canada in transit to a third country, Canadian Permanent Residents, diplomats, or immediate family members of Canadian citizens.

As this measure applies to travel by air, it does not apply to surface traffic or marine shipping.

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2020/03/new-measures-for-covid-19-response.html
Thanks a lot.Air Canada says I am as good as pr only.They are being oversmart.They must have got clear instruction regarding copr but not ready to accept.
Btw thanks a lot

idhar_chicha

Star Member
Mar 5, 2020
Just read the guidance in this link below that unless you are citizen or citizens immediate family or a PR already you as a foreign national cannot travel to Canada you would be denied boarding at source. Also now even the US/Canada land border is closed to all but essental travel and trade . A COPR landing or even flagpoling unlikely to considered essential or at least should not. Add to all this airlines are all but grounding all of their fleets for a few months so even getting a flight may be challenging anyway even for those meeting the exemption criteria .

The Canadian government published official legal guidelines for the air travel restrictions. These guidelines do not make an exception for COPR-holders who wish to travel by air to Canada to activate their PR status. Until PR status has been activated, a COPR-holder is legally defined as a foreign national, who, under the new restrictions, is barred from entering Canada if they arrived by aircraft from another country. This means, based on these guidelines, legally a COPR-holder can be denied entry to an aircraft bound for Canada. (Source: Government of Canada)

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
The Canadian government published official legal guidelines for the air travel restrictions. These guidelines do not make an exception for COPR-holders who wish to travel by air to Canada to activate their PR status. Until PR status has been activated, a COPR-holder is legally defined as a foreign national, who, under the new restrictions, is barred from entering Canada if they arrived by aircraft from another country. This means, based on these guidelines, legally a COPR-holder can be denied entry to an aircraft bound for Canada. (Source: Government of Canada)
What should we do if air canada is not responding.They are not ready to refund my full amt and also they dont want to give me anything in writing that I am not allowed to travel or allowed .

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What should we do if air canada is not responding.They are not ready to refund my full amt and also they dont want to give me anything in writing that I am not allowed to travel or allowed .
Think the issue comes down to the fact that you didn’t cancel in advance. Most were allowing free flight changes to a later date but because you didn’t cancel your seats likely went unfilled.

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
Think the issue comes down to the fact that you didn’t cancel in advance. Most were allowing free flight changes to a later date but because you didn’t cancel your seats likely went unfilled.
No i cancelled 24 hrs prior.Seats were filled within an hr of my cancellation.read my post abt new rule of canada.

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
On 19th eve 5 p.m Flight was of 21st 23:55 IST.
Your going to have to argue with the airlines. Were you not offered the opportunity to reschedule your flights or get a credit? You got stuck in the confusion. On the 18th it seemed that you could not travel but on March 20th after more clarification you are allowed to travel. If you can’t get a refund I would try a credit or rescheduled light. I think that is what many have received and seems fair.

Reactions: Canaspirant xyz

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
Your going to have to argue with the airlines. Were you not offered the opportunity to reschedule your flights or get a credit? You got stuck in the confusion. On the 18th it seemed that you could not travel but on March 20th after more clarification you are allowed to travel. If you can’t get a refund I would try a credit or rescheduled light. I think that is what many have received and seems fair.
Thanks.But still I can't travel as India is locked.They are offering free date change ir open ticket but that seems less useful for me as this ticket was very expensive Next time if I book I will not go for this class.Even if they cut penalty and give me rest amount then also its double the normal ticket amount.So better I take my money back .As it is I don't know when I will be able to fly as my visa is expiring on 25th march

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks.But still I can't travel as India is locked.They are offering free date change ir open ticket but that seems less useful for me as this ticket was very expensive Next time if I book I will not go for this class.Even if they cut penalty and give me rest amount then also its double the normal ticket amount.So better I take my money back .As it is I don't know when I will be able to fly as my visa is expiring on 25th march
You may not have the option of a full refund.