+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Corona Virus & Visa Expiry

kmuhammadsaad

Star Member
Jan 7, 2019
Dear All,

I got my PR in Oct with first landing expiry date of April 22 , 2020. Ive booked tickets and accomodation for 9th April and that is when I plan to leave. I am from Pakistan and today first two cases of corona virus have been confirmed.

My question is, what if borders get sealed due to corona virus spread and I cant do the landing before expiry of my visa? Can I get some help

Reactions: bylimbo

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
I don't think anyone can answer this question. You'd obviously have to contact IRCC if this happens and ask for an extension or a new visa. Whether or not it would work, have no idea.

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear All,

I got my PR in Oct with first landing expiry date of April 22 , 2020. Ive booked tickets and accomodation for 9th April and that is when I plan to leave. I am from Pakistan and today first two cases of corona virus have been confirmed.

My question is, what if borders get sealed due to corona virus spread and I cant do the landing before expiry of my visa? Can I get some help
Think you should address the issue if it happens. In general not a great idea to land so close to the expiry date especially if you are doing a short landing. If you are only doing a short landing you might consider changing your flight if there are no fees to change your flight. Nobody can predict what will happen it is such a fluid situation.

Higgle

Star Member
Sep 22, 2019
Dear All,

Hi Im planning on traveling on a soft landing soon. We cant predict the borders closing

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Not only could there be special measures at the border such as possible self isolation for 14 days for international arrivals but also airlines can be disrupted making actually getting to Canada in first place a challenge.

Who could have predicted Trumps 30 day EU ban for example and if seen works for the US other countries may follow , connecting flights could be especially vunerable.

Longer term though once airlines have parked up their aircraft and layed off their crews it could be many months before any resemblance of a schedule comes back assuming the airline crews are still available. Some airlines are even talking about parking 40-50 percent of their planes due to lack of demand which also implies thousands airline employees will lose their jobs and not necessarily hang around waiting to come back as and when things recover.

Bottom line is that for a soft landing sooner rather than later is probably the best recommendation.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-special-measures.html

Last edited:

Nikmal

Star Member
May 30, 2018
Same is my case. My COPR expires on 9th May and I have booked my ticket for Apr 14th (Delhi to Toronto). Not sure if I will be able to board the flight. If anyone gets an update on it, request you to please post your response here.

Higgle

Star Member
Sep 22, 2019
Hi best send a web inquiry. Things are getting worse now and we don't know the future. Right now they are not taking in foreigners who might be sick , if they do (14 days isolation), and we also run the risk of home countries closing off arrivals from Canada.

chidexnorom

Jan 18, 2020
Dear All,

My advise...why not adjust your flight and touch down at least....to save yourself any unforeseeable challenges...

ashi_gm

Feb 24, 2020
The website says "that they are unable to travel within the validity of their documentation should be processed as follows:"
It doesnt mean you cannot travel. Why are we assuming we cannot land with CoPR?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
The website says "that they are unable to travel within the validity of their documentation should be processed as follows:"
Unless you meet one of the travel ban exemptions, you will not be able to travel to Canada.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just read the guidance in this link below that unless you are citizen or citizens immediate family or a PR already you as a foreign national cannot travel to Canada you would be denied boarding at source. Also now even the US/Canada land border is closed to all but essental travel and trade . A COPR landing or even flagpoling unlikely to considered essential or at least should not. Add to all this airlines are all but grounding all of their fleets for a few months so even getting a flight may be challenging anyway even for those meeting the exemption criteria .

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-canada/news/2020/03/new-measures-for-covid-19-response.html

Under the Aeronautics Act, the Minister of Transport will require air carriers on flights to Canada to deny boarding to any passenger who is not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, and has resided in any country other than the U.S. in the last 14 days.

For practical purposes, the denial of boarding would apply to:

• all foreign nationals on flights to Canada other than trans-border flights, and
  • any foreign national on a trans-border flight who has resided outside the US and Canada in the last 14 days.

In simple terms, you cannot board a plane to Canada if you have been outside of Canada or the United States in the last 14 days, unless you are a Canadian Citizen, Canadian Permanent Resident or in transit to a 3rd country.

The measure will come into force on Wednesday, March 18, at 12:00 p.m. (noon) EDT. It would not apply to air crews, travelers arriving in Canada in transit to a third country, Canadian Permanent Residents, diplomats, or immediate family members of Canadian citizens.

Canaspirant xyz

Aug 21, 2018
I am copr holder.Was abt to fly on 21st.But travel ban.I asked air Canada to give full refund then they say that ur a pr only.You can travel I gave him lot if articles explaining diff between a pr and copr holder.But he is not agreeing What should I do,.Anyways it is there job to find iut whom they can bring?.Pls its urgent.Any one?