+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CoPRs with approval after March 18 and soon to expire counterfoils entering Canada

luv908

Star Member
Jul 26, 2013
Excerpt from https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html

Travelling from any country other than the US
If we issued your confirmation of permanent residence (CoPR) on or before March 18, 2020, you
  • are exempt from the travel restrictions and
  • can travel to Canada with your CoPR to settle and live in Canada as a permanent resident
Check the issue date in the Application Details section of your CoPR to see if this applies to you.

Travelling from the US
You can travel to Canada from the United States to settle and live in Canada as a permanent resident if
  • we approved your application and
  • we sent you a CoPR
According to this, COPR holders with valid counterfoils from the US are ok to travel to Canada permanently.
Can anyone share their experience ? This is a huge dilemma

Deeds189

May 14, 2019
I’ve landed today, without any issues.
COPR was issued on April 27, from the USA
@amanb014 Could you please provide additional details regarding your experience.
1. Which POE did you use
2. Did you come back to the US immediately
3. Were you prepared for 14 day quarantine
4. US visa status

amanb014

Star Member
Aug 25, 2019
Which port of entry did you use.
Did you come back to US immediately ?
Were you able to use AVR?
@amanb014 Could you please provide additional details regarding your experience.
1. Which POE did you use
2. Did you come back to the US immediately
3. Were you prepared for 14 day quarantine
4. US visa status
I landed on Pearson airport. I’ve permanently moved here so I don’t plan on using and US Visa or AVR to return. My F1 visa was expiring so I won’t be able to go back. We are quarantining in Airbnb. They didn’t really ask for proof but we had to fill out a form with the address that we are staying at.

here are some more details -

1. Got to the airplane and before boarding we were asked questions: are you aware of the Canadian travel restrictions and do you believe you can travel? Are you aware of the quarantine requirement and can you prove it? Are you aware of the provincial restrictions on travel? Answer all of them yes.
2. Got immigration officer, not a bad experience. Asked questions - have you committed any crimes? have you got a place to quarantine? do you have goods to follow? How much cash are you carrying?
3. Signed COPR, 2 copies, and then was welcomed.
4. Went to border services and declared list of goods. They stamped it and gave me 1 copy to keep.
5. Exited the airport!

Reactions: praveen07cse

pp90032

Jul 16, 2020
Looks like soft landing and returning back to USA is not an option anymore? From their website https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html
If you’re outside Canada
If you come to Canada, make sure you’re exempt from the travel restrictions. You won’t be allowed to enter Canada right now if you’re travelling for reasons like:

• tourism
  • recreation
  • entertainment
  • to finalize your permanent residence application but not settle here yet
These are not valid reasons to come to Canada right now.
So ppl who have got their CoPR after March 18th and not completed travel, can no longer complete the process and come back?

Aliya45

Apr 30, 2020
Here is my experience.
We landed by road at the Lewiston–Queenston bridge, stayed in quarantine for 14 days and then came back using the Peace bridge using AVR.
1) You can land if your COPR was approved after March 18th and you are traveling from the U.S.
2) You can enter the U.S back using AVR without any issues. It is not affected by the new E.O.

cancan0505

Star Member
Mar 5, 2020
We recently completed landing via the Detroit-Windsor land border. Our COPR was approved after March 18th.

- The new guidance states that COPRs living in the US are only allowed to go to Canada if they are moving to settle permanently.
- We are unable to move to Canada permanently right now (due to COVID) and decided to drive to the border to complete our landing procedures and come back the same day. We got some mild push back from the immigration officers but we explained our situation and they agreed to process our landing. If you're not moving permanently, it depends on your officer as to whether they will process your COPR or not. Based on what I am hearing from many folks, they are not turning anyone away.
- We were not asked to quarantine because we were returning the same day.
- We had no issues returning to the US. We had valid H1B visa stamps.

Last edited:

orco13

Aug 7, 2019
San Francisco
NOC Code......
My COPR expires August 28th. However, my H1B was approved this year and it is not stamped on my passport. I worry that I wont be able to come to the US once I land in Canada. Hence, I wish to travel at a later date to settle permanently in Canada. Can my COPR be extended ? Has anyone had a recent experience like this ?

incomingAbg

Aug 25, 2019
We recently completed landing via the Detroit-Windsor land border. Our COPR was approved after March 18th.

- The new guidance states that COPRs living in the US are only allowed to go to Canada if they are moving to settle permanently.
- We are unable to move to Canada permanently right now (due to COVID) and decided to drive to the border to complete our landing procedures and come back the same day. We got some mild push back from the immigration officers but we explained our situation and they agreed to process our landing. If you're not moving permanently, it depends on your officer as to whether they will process your COPR or not. Based on what I am hearing from many folks, they are not turning anyone away.
- We were not asked to quarantine because we were returning the same day.
- We had no issues returning to the US. We had valid H1B visa stamps.
Did they took address from you for PR card delivery? I have read few posts where the officers only process your COPR but they refuse to take the address for PR card because it is not a permanent move.

Also did you take rental or your own car ?

cancan0505

Star Member
Mar 5, 2020
Did they took address from you for PR card delivery? I have read few posts where the officers only process your COPR but they refuse to take the address for PR card because it is not a permanent move.

Also did you take rental or your own car ?
No, they did not take any address. The PR card will be processed when we move permanently and this should be okay with those that aren't moving to settle.

Rental car.

orco13

Aug 7, 2019
San Francisco
NOC Code......
Is there anyone here whose COPR is expiring in August but do not have plans to travel now ? I wish to know what steps you are planning on taking after the COPR expires.

sladeyl11

Jul 27, 2020
I emailed IRCC and received the following response. I applied to extend my PRV just in case. Mine also expires in Sep.

Coronavirus - PR approved after March 18, 2020 - Outside Canada

The Government of Canada is closely monitoring the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and any impacts on IRCC clients.

If your Confirmation of permanent residence was issued after March 18, 2020:

• You’re not exempt from the travel restrictions measures, and
  • You cannot travel to Canada yet.
Are you in the United States or other foreign countries..Also, when you contacted IRCC did you say that you are travelling from the US?