+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CoPRs with approval after March 18 and soon to expire counterfoils entering Canada

nipsey

Feb 11, 2020
Hello,
For all the folks who have approved CoPRs after March 18th (date of issue on counterfoil) and their counterfoils are going to expire in the near future and are trying to enter Canada directly from the US. What's the next thing your minds and how are you going about it.

thanks

nipsey

Feb 11, 2020
That's what the confusion is:
- why stamp counterfoils after March 18 if you don't want to let us in
- they want us to use the counterfoil before it expires, then how its not essential? =)

wxqayc

Feb 20, 2017
I emailed IRCC and received the following response. I applied to extend my PRV just in case. Mine also expires in Sep.

Coronavirus - PR approved after March 18, 2020 - Outside Canada

The Government of Canada is closely monitoring the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and any impacts on IRCC clients.

If your Confirmation of permanent residence was issued after March 18, 2020:

• You’re not exempt from the travel restrictions measures, and
  • You cannot travel to Canada yet.

Aliya45

Apr 30, 2020
Thanks for sharing this response! I was planning to try landing this month...since I live in NY close to the border. I was thinking people from U.S can travel even if they were not exempt from the travel restrictions. The reason is this info on the IRCC site

All other foreign nationals
To be eligible, you must meet 2 requirements:

Aliya45

Apr 30, 2020
Can you please provide the email address you used to contact them? I want to add this condition and check with them again

nipsey

Feb 11, 2020
I emailed IRCC and received the following response. I applied to extend my PRV just in case. Mine also expires in Sep.

The Government of Canada is closely monitoring the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and any impacts on IRCC clients.

Thanks for notifying. This is kinda stupid on IRCCs end to have not set clear guidelines and to still give away visas only to expire. Anyhow, how do we extend our PRV? Where to apply?

amanb014

Star Member
Aug 25, 2019
Thanks for sharing this response! I was planning to try landing this month...since I live in NY close to the border. I was thinking people from U.S can travel even if they were not exempt from the travel restrictions. The reason is this info on the IRCC site

I’ve called CBSA twice now and they both said that I will be able to travel with a COPR (issued after 18March) since we are from the USA. “Either” is the key word there...

Are you from the US?

nipsey

Feb 11, 2020

Are you in WNY? Keep us posted iff you plan to do a landing regardless (considering you're a pretty close and a drive would be harmless to evaluate the situation). Your experience will help us a lot.

Reactions: amanb014

Aliya45

Apr 30, 2020
Are you in WNY? Keep us posted iff you plan to do a landing regardless (considering you're a pretty close and a drive would be harmless to evaluate the situation). Your experience will help us a lot.
Sure. I definitely will. I want to travel but the rumors about the executive order that is banning the re entry of all H1b are troubling me. I always planned to land, continue working in U.S for 2 years and then settle down in Canada.

I am going to wait and watch out for the executive order till the end of this month. If no order comes up and I have the option of travelling back to U.S. open, I will travel in July 2nd week. My biggest fear is the executive ordering coming out during my quarantine as I have a lot of unfinished business here.

nipsey

Feb 11, 2020
Sure. I definitely will. I want to travel but the rumors about the executive order that is banning the re entry of all H1b are troubling me. I always planned to land, continue working in U.S for 2 years and then settle down in Canada.

I am going to wait and watch out for the executive order till the end of this month. If no order comes up and I have the option of travelling back to U.S. open, I will travel in July 2nd week. My biggest fear is the executive ordering coming out during my quarantine as I have a lot of unfinished business here.
Thank you! Sounds totally reasonable. Better to wait for the executive order, which IMHO should not affect the existing visa holders. But still, better be safe than sorry. You should NOT be mandated to quarantine if you return to the US the same day? Unless you have reasons to stay in Canada (bank accounts, social etc.)

amanb014

Star Member
Aug 25, 2019
Is soft landing possible? I thought everyone was required to quarantine upon landing... also, I have called CBSA and they’ve informed me that immigration services may not be available at all times, so once you enter not sure if you’ll be able to get everything done in 1 day.

I’m planning to travel around the same time... July 14 for now. I’ll also post my experience here about the landing.