+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR soft landing and return to the US in COVID-19 environment

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Normally you're supposed to be able to sort out most things and get a SSN in big ports of entry. But with the COVID-19 I'm not sure if this is still possible to register for SSN.

The PR cards will be sent by mail to a Canadian address that you need to provide upon entry. I heard it normally takes around 8 weeks for the cards to be sent. You can ask someone to receive the cards on your behalf and send them back to you in the US because you will need the PR cards to reenter. Otherwise you can pay a private PO box at UPS or something like that (needs to be a private PO box) that will forward mail to you in the US.

I read that only 4 airports currently operate intercontinental flights (Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto and Montreal) but they may reopen other routes this summer. You'll have to check that.
PR card processing is now taking 200+ days since processing has stopped. If you mailing address is clearly a PO box your application can be refused processing.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Another question. Do all landing paperwork and applying for a PR card happen at the same place or they're handled at different places? Can I apply for a PRTD and PR card at the same time? Ideally I'd like a PR card but given that I'll be returning back after 14 days, how can I reenter Canada without a PR card?
PRTD needs to be applied for when you are out of Canada from your location’s embassy. You can go through a land border with a COPR.

Reactions: ryeCatcher
Mar 8, 2020
Good question lot if us in similar situation. There may be a point when Soft landing is no longer an option for folks in USA. I am also in similar situation and also requested for extension.
Yes I said risk of travel due to COVID and they did say :
Please be assured that your application will not be refused if you are unable or unwilling to travel as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

If the situation is resolved and you are able to travel within the existing validity of your documents, you may do so. Otherwise, once you and, if applicable, your family members are able to travel, please notify us by using the IRCC Web form. At that time, you will be provided with further instructions.
If you apply for an extension, do we need to wait for a response before making travel plans, or can we still do landing while we await a response? How soon did you receive a response from IRCC when you filled the web form?

Mar 8, 2020
PRTD needs to be applied for when you are out of Canada from your location’s embassy. You can go through a land border with a COPR.
I heard someone who did landing wasn't able to apply for a PR card because he had PO Box in address so the border officer instead offered him a travel document that the guy could use in lieu of PR card and also for multiple entry. Is there some other document that is not PR card or PRTD and yet allows multiple entry?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I heard someone who did landing wasn't able to apply for a PR card because he had PO Box in address so the border officer instead offered him a travel document that the guy could use in lieu of PR card and also for multiple entry. Is there some other document that is not PR card or PRTD and yet allows multiple entry?
No. Assume the story was that someone was abroad and couldn’t renew their PR card so they applied for a PRTD and were given multiple entry. This is usually reserved for spouses of Canadian citizens who have moved abroad.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As long as your COPR is still valid you can travel. Any reopenings of applications will happen after expiry date.
We have seen some being opened earlier without anything being done. If renewal won’t happen until COPR expiry date why create extra work for everyone and just wait until you get closer to the expiry date and you know whether you are going to travel before asking for a renewal.

garry.jones

Jun 14, 2019
I have exactly same situation as you, 2 US born kids, COPR expiring in August. Currently I have air travel booked in June which I may cancel and move to late July either by road or air. I am on west coast so my road travel will be to Vancouver.

I am also worried about this:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/stuartanderson/2020/05/28/high-skill-immigration-restrictions-expected-soon-from-trump/#4f602b7b6a89

Have you thought about this scenario as we may not be able to enter back if trump restricts h1b entry? Although he may halt issuance of new visas. In our case we have existing status/visa that will be used to re-enter. Thoughts?
Guys, I am in the same boat as you guys. I am also worried about the article that you mentioned that there might be restrictions on H1B visa holders to come back to US. I am not sure if it will be considered having an existing visa as my visa is expired and I need a automatic visa revalidation as well so, so my requirement is actually very specific.

Do you guys have any thoughts will I be allowed to come back to US if there are restrictions on new H1B visas?

bcpnpapplicant

Star Member
Jan 17, 2019
San Francisco
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
18-08-2019
I have expired visa as well and plan to use AVR option. Common sense is that trump will ban issuance of new visas. In our case we should be able to use AVR. However I want to wait & see for next 3-4 weeks before deciding travel dates (likely mid to late July for me). I am hoping order should be announced by end of this month.

garry.jones

Jun 14, 2019
I have expired visa as well and plan to use AVR option. Common sense is that trump will ban issuance of new visas. In our case we should be able to use AVR. However I want to wait & see for next 3-4 weeks before deciding travel dates (likely mid to late July for me). I am hoping order should be announced by end of this month.
I am waiting as well to see what they announce.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
You will likely not be affected by h1b entry bans if you are an immediate relative of US citizens.
I, on the other hand, am likely screwed.
I think it will be only for new H1 as few hundred thousands are working and companies will raise voice due to disruption in work.
Why do you think you are affected? DO you think it will be of any H1 guys seeking entry?

I am waiting as well to see what they announce.
Why do you want to wait for new rule when the coast is clear now?

garry.jones

Jun 14, 2019
I think it will be only for new H1 as few hundred thousands are working and companies will raise voice due to disruption in work.
Why do you think you are affected? DO you think it will be of any H1 guys seeking entry?

Why do you want to wait for new rule when the coast is clear now?
Because if rule comes into effect during my quarantine period, I won’t be able to travel back and it seems from the article, this was gonna get announced very soon.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Because if rule comes into effect during my quarantine period, I won’t be able to travel back and it seems from the article, this was gonna get announced very soon.
oh i see. i forgot about the quarantine period of 2 weeks. From the other threads recently, it looks like few commute with H1 daily and some even did single trips to Canada and cbp allow them without any mandate of quarantine period. But its going to be tricky if Canada does not end quarantine and US issues rules and its going to be very confusion/problem.

WIll see as i am too not commuting and dont know what will happen to existing H1. I am supposed to move to US in July but now stuck due to covid.

jaibajrangbali

Star Member
Jun 18, 2019
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
10-10-2019
AOR Received.
10-10-2019
File Transfer...
13-01-2020
oh i see. i forgot about the quarantine period of 2 weeks. From the other threads recently, it looks like few commute with H1 daily and some even did single trips to Canada and cbp allow them without any mandate of quarantine period. But its going to be tricky if Canada does not end quarantine and US issues rules and its going to be very confusion/problem.

WIll see as i am too not commuting and dont know what will happen to existing H1. I am supposed to move to US in July but now stuck due to covid.
Greetings - I see you guys are talking about 2 weeks of quarantine. What if someone doesn't even step out of the airport/ or make a U turn (land) and return back to US same day?

I am in similar/same situation. CoPR expires in September.
US visa expired and never stepped out of US almost a decade now.

garry.jones

Jun 14, 2019
Greetings - I see you guys are talking about 2 weeks of quarantine. What if someone doesn't even step out of the airport/ or make a U turn (land) and return back to US same day?

I am in similar/same situation. CoPR expires in September.
US visa expired and never stepped out of US almost a decade now.
I don't know about how the 14-day is enforced but it is clearly written that we need to self quarantine and there is a big penalty if we don't do that. Maybe other folks can shed some light. I would follow the guidelines and not jeopardize my PR.

despairedh1b

Star Member
Oct 7, 2018
I don't know about how the 14-day is enforced but it is clearly written that we need to self quarantine and there is a big penalty if we don't do that. Maybe other folks can shed some light. I would follow the guidelines and not jeopardize my PR.
I did read someone posting that they ask when you board from the Canadian side - how long were you in Canada / Did you follow quarantine - I wouldn't take the risk if I were you.