+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR soft landing and return to the US in COVID-19 environment

Mar 8, 2020
Hello Folks,

Needed some advice. I’m in the US on H1B and my COPR expires in August 2020. I’m planning to do a soft landing along with my family in June. I’ve two US-born kids. Can you share your landing experience and your return back to the US in the current COVID environment? What challenges did you face? What type of questions were asked by the CBP agent? What sort of documentation did you carry to prove “essential” work?

I’m debating if I should go by road vs. air. What’s more preferable in the current environment?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Folks,

Needed some advice. I’m in the US on H1B and my COPR expires in August 2020. I’m planning to do a soft landing along with my family in June. I’ve two US-born kids. Can you share your landing experience and your return back to the US in the current COVID environment? What challenges did you face? What type of questions were asked by the CBP agent? What sort of documentation did you carry to prove “essential” work?

I’m debating if I should go by road vs. air. What’s more preferable in the current environment?
You aren’t supposed to be doing short landings but someone was able to do it at a land border. Think he got very lucky. Most have spent 14 days under quarantine and returned to the US and have not indicated they are doing a soft landing.

Reactions: ryeCatcher

BillyWescott

May 24, 2019
How long will you stay in Canada? If they don't lift the 2 week mandatory self-isolation I don't see how one can fly back sooner than two weeks after landing. I also don't see why they would retroactively cancel your PR status because you fly back. As a permanent resident you have the right to come and go, even if of course the principle should be that we land to stay.

Mar 8, 2020
You aren’t supposed to be doing short landings but someone was able to do it at a land border. Think he got very lucky. Most have spent 14 days under quarantine and returned to the US and have not indicated they are doing a soft landing.
Thanks @canuck78 I'll be be quarantining for 14 days. Its sounds like air travel will be preferable over land. Did you do your landing recently?

Mar 8, 2020
How long will you stay in Canada? If they don't lift the 2 week mandatory self-isolation I don't see how one can fly back sooner than two weeks after landing. I also don't see why they would retroactively cancel your PR status because you fly back. As a permanent resident you have the right to come and go, even if of course the principle should be that we land to stay.
@BillyWescott - I'm planning to stay 14 days in quarantine, as required. If I travel by air, are there restrictions on the choice of airports in the current environment? Can I land at Winnipeg or Montreal vs. say Toronto?

Mar 8, 2020
Another question. Do all landing paperwork and applying for a PR card happen at the same place or they're handled at different places? Can I apply for a PRTD and PR card at the same time? Ideally I'd like a PR card but given that I'll be returning back after 14 days, how can I reenter Canada without a PR card?

BillyWescott

May 24, 2019
Honestly I don't think land border crossing is worst or better than by air. As long as you tell them that you come to live in Canada and have a quarantine plan and Canadian address (outside of Quebec) where they can mail the PR cards (and tell them that you will register your car in Canada to get a Canadian plate etc.).

If by land I wouldn't recommend any border crossing between the US and the Province of Quebec, because it will be harder for you to prove that you will not reside in Quebec (which you technically can't under the Express Entry FSW program). But it's not impossible, if you can persuade the officer that you are just en route to your final destination which is outside of Quebec. It doesn't really matter which port of entry you go through. But Quebec ports of entry may create additional complications.

BillyWescott

May 24, 2019
Another question. Do all landing paperwork and applying for a PR card happen at the same place or they're handled at different places? Can I apply for a PRTD and PR card at the same time? Ideally I'd like a PR card but given that I'll be returning back after 14 days, how can I reenter Canada without a PR card?
Normally you're supposed to be able to sort out most things and get a SSN in big ports of entry. But with the COVID-19 I'm not sure if this is still possible to register for SSN.

The PR cards will be sent by mail to a Canadian address that you need to provide upon entry. I heard it normally takes around 8 weeks for the cards to be sent. You can ask someone to receive the cards on your behalf and send them back to you in the US because you will need the PR cards to reenter. Otherwise you can pay a private PO box at UPS or something like that (needs to be a private PO box) that will forward mail to you in the US.

I read that only 4 airports currently operate intercontinental flights (Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto and Montreal) but they may reopen other routes this summer. You'll have to check that.

Reactions: CanadaCallingNow

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
A SIN would usually be possible to get at some airports where there is a Service Canada desk or else a city location. Service Canada are closed currently although they may be open sometime in summer no way to tell, if not then have to use online application.

PR card processing is near 4 months at the moment due to staffing as result of COVID, again whether this improves nobody can tell. Immigration/COPR processing and initial PR card application all part of landing procedure. SIN application completely separate away from POE assuming POE Service Canada desk not open

PRTD can only be applied for from outside of Canada.

Last edited:
Reactions: CanadaCallingNow

Itsmsk66

Star Member
Dec 27, 2019
Guys,

Any one from US, applied for extension and was granted extension. Can you please explain process after the Web form submission.

bcpnpapplicant

Star Member
Jan 17, 2019
San Francisco
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
18-08-2019
Hello Folks,

I have exactly same situation as you, 2 US born kids, COPR expiring in August. Currently I have air travel booked in June which I may cancel and move to late July either by road or air. I am on west coast so my road travel will be to Vancouver.

I am also worried about this:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/stuartanderson/2020/05/28/high-skill-immigration-restrictions-expected-soon-from-trump/#4f602b7b6a89

Have you thought about this scenario as we may not be able to enter back if trump restricts h1b entry? Although he may halt issuance of new visas. In our case we have existing status/visa that will be used to re-enter. Thoughts?

Reactions: garry.jones

Itsmsk66

Star Member
Dec 27, 2019
Good question lot if us in similar situation. There may be a point when Soft landing is no longer an option for folks in USA. I am also in similar situation and also requested for extension.

bcpnpapplicant

Star Member
Jan 17, 2019
San Francisco
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
18-08-2019
Good question lot if us in similar situation. There may be a point when Soft landing is no longer an option for folks in USA. I am also in similar situation and also requested for extension.
What reason you gave for extension? Covid-19 risk?
I read that folks with rating 1 on medicals on COPRs will get 6 months extension without needing another medical.
This may be the best case scenario at this moment

Itsmsk66

Star Member
Dec 27, 2019
Yes I said risk of travel due to COVID and they did say :
Please be assured that your application will not be refused if you are unable or unwilling to travel as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

If the situation is resolved and you are able to travel within the existing validity of your documents, you may do so. Otherwise, once you and, if applicable, your family members are able to travel, please notify us by using the IRCC Web form. At that time, you will be provided with further instructions.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@BillyWescott - I'm planning to stay 14 days in quarantine, as required. If I travel by air, are there restrictions on the choice of airports in the current environment? Can I land at Winnipeg or Montreal vs. say Toronto?
International flights are being limited to Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto and Montreal I believe. Then there are internal domestic flights.