+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR questions and importing car from US

nazgul86

Jul 31, 2018
Hello,

Me and my wife recently received COPR (through EE-FSW) and have some questions about how to go about importing the car (2011 Jetta) from US to Canada. We are planning to activate the COPR on a flight to Vancouver (where my wife currently resides) and then relocate approximately a month later with the car driving to Toronto.

1) Our COPR states Vancouver, BC as city of destination, can we still move to Toronto later right? Can we also give a different address, not in Vancouver BC to receive the actual PR (to a friend's name)?
1) at the moment of landing should I declare my car as a good to follow if I will be moving it later?
2) we were planning to drive from Vancouver to Toronto, would I be able to drive it immediately after importing it or would I need to get it inspected/tested before then?
3) we may be moving back to US in a year or so, depending on when my wife's green card will be approved,
should I still go ahead and complete the importing procedures? just worried I would be double-paying with inspection and taxes if I'll have to import it back to US in less than a year.

Thanks in advance,
A*

nazgul86

Jul 31, 2018
Hi, have you already imported your car? We have a 2015 Jetta and imported this year, so happy to help if you still need it.
Hi, I haven't imported yet, planning to activate my COPR in a few days when landing and then import my car like a week later. How was your experience?

Svanbavel1

May 12, 2018
Halifax, Nova Scotia
We have a Jetta and owed about $7k on it when we decided to move. We had to pay it off to receive the title first. Once we had the title we had to go to our province motor vehicle registry website (NS) and fill something out and pay a fee first and you will print that off. You will also need to know what the value of your car is. I printed off the KBB and Canadian Black Book value of the vehicle. I did enter in the VIN to get that which was acceptable to them.

Is the title of vehicle in your name? Our vehicle was not worth $10k CAN so we didn't pay any import taxes! Make sure when you do your landing at the airport, you must provide the Goods to Follow form and include the Vehicle with VIN # on it, or you could actually be responsible for taxes if they want to be dicks when you drive it across.

nazgul86

Jul 31, 2018
We have a Jetta and owed about $7k on it when we decided to move. We had to pay it off to receive the title first. Once we had the title we had to go to our province motor vehicle registry website (NS) and fill something out and pay a fee first and you will print that off. You will also need to know what the value of your car is. I printed off the KBB and Canadian Black Book value of the vehicle. I did enter in the VIN to get that which was acceptable to them.

Is the title of vehicle in your name? Our vehicle was not worth $10k CAN so we didn't pay any import taxes! Make sure when you do your landing at the airport, you must provide the Goods to Follow form and include the Vehicle with VIN # on it, or you could actually be responsible for taxes if they want to be dicks when you drive it across.
Thanks for the info, I have a 2011 Jetta and the KBB value seems around 6k USD, so less than 10kCAD :) So sounds like I'd be able to fill this in when I land in the airport and then drive with the car later.

nazgul86

Jul 31, 2018
I just did the landing with COPR at the airport and selected the option of "unaccompanied goods" but the officer said there was nothing to fill now, and would deal with it directly when driving the car in. Does this sound correct? Seems different from others experience

Svanbavel1

May 12, 2018
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I just did the landing with COPR at the airport and selected the option of "unaccompanied goods" but the officer said there was nothing to fill now, and would deal with it directly when driving the car in. Does this sound correct? Seems different from others experience

Sorry, I just saw this. Hopefully, they won't give you a hard time at the border when you drive it, but when I landed without the vehicle, they had me write down the vin # on the unaccompanied goods to follow page because it shows that I already owned it and planned on bringing it later. I may recommend calling the border you plan to drive through and tell them what happened to ensure they will be okay with that.