+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

COPR query

rooster7

Dec 16, 2017
Hello all,

Asked this question in another forum, but no answers so far. Sorry for duplicating.

We received our COPR recently. Under dependants travelling with you on the COPR, mine has all my family members' names - wife and kids.

But on their COPR, under dependants, it's my name. Is this a mistake by the embassy or that’s how it is?

Thank you in advance.

Wandering Mind

Champion Member
Mar 20, 2017
Hello all,

Asked this question in another forum, but no answers so far. Sorry for duplicating.

We received our COPR recently. Under dependants travelling with you on the COPR, mine has all my family members' names - wife and kids.

But on their COPR, under dependants, it's my name. Is this a mistake by the embassy or that’s how it is?

Thank you in advance.
Hi, it is the same with me and my family. I'm the primary applicant so both my spouse and child are named on my CoPR. While on theirs, it's just my name.

Nothing to worry about - it's all ok. Good luck.

canada_dreamer

Apr 10, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, it is the same with me and my family. I'm the primary applicant so both my spouse and child are named on my CoPR. While on theirs, it's just my name.

Nothing to worry about - it's all ok. Good luck.
Does your COPR say 'Not Valid for Travel' ?

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
Yes - because I will have my passport with the Canadian visa stamped on it which is a valid travel document. The CoPR is just an accompanying document to be produced at the time of immigration.

Good luck.
The CoPR is more than just that. Once landed, it is proof of permanent residence and should be kept safe as any important document would. The PR card is a travel document, but the CoPR is the piece of paper that makes you a PR and can show that status with no expiry date. It'll be easier to have the document should you ever lose a PR card and need to apply for a new one, for example.

Wandering Mind

Champion Member
Mar 20, 2017
The CoPR is more than just that. Once landed, it is proof of permanent residence and should be kept safe as any important document would. The PR card is a travel document, but the CoPR is the piece of paper that makes you a PR and can show that status with no expiry date. It'll be easier to have the document should you ever lose a PR card and need to apply for a new one, for example.
Thank you for the detailed answer. I was responding to a poster who asked if my CoPR has 'not valid for travel' written on it so I was explaining what that means. I did not in any way mean to dismiss the CoPR as an unimportant document.

praseenair

Feb 9, 2018
Hello,

Just a question here. I have my COPR with validity till June 9th 2018. Is it ok if I land on June 4th 2018. Is this gap of 5 days enough or do I need to land earlier? Please reply as we want to wind up everything in India before leaving to Canada for good.

evdm

Jun 16, 2017
You can certainly do that, but if there are any problems with flights you're cutting it somewhat close. the CoPR will not be extended, you have to land before that date or you will have to go through the entire process again, I believe.

Reactions: Wandering Mind

praseenair

Feb 9, 2018
You can certainly do that, but if there are any problems with flights you're cutting it somewhat close. the CoPR will not be extended, you have to land before that date or you will have to go through the entire process again, I believe.
So, assuming we land on 4th June, we won't have any issues with immigration officials. Right?

Wandering Mind

Champion Member
Mar 20, 2017
Hello,

Just a question here. I have my COPR with validity till June 9th 2018. Is it ok if I land on June 4th 2018. Is this gap of 5 days enough or do I need to land earlier? Please reply as we want to wind up everything in India before leaving to Canada for good.
I'd personally not cut it so close - if possible try landing latest by May 31.

Good luck.