Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2015
AOR Received.
23-07-2015
I am sure this question has been asked before, but I haven't been able to find the answer in my search. Apologies in advance.

Just received our Confirmation of Permanent Residence. (yay)
However on the document there is a big message that says "NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL"

On this page here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=748&top=22 It says the following:

How do I validate a Confirmation of Permanent Residence or a permanent resident visa if I live in Canada?
If you already live in Canada, you have two options to become a permanent resident:

You can make an appointment at one of our offices near where you live in Canada. To do this, contact us by using this Web form.

If your permanent resident visa (or one of your family’s) expires in two months or less, please indicate that you need urgent processing.

If you are not able to make an appointment as set out above, you may leave Canada and return through an international airport or a Canadian land border.

When you arrive, an IRCC officer will interview you, and grant you entry into Canada based on the information in your visa.

In either case, you will have to show the officer:

your passport, travel or identity document (including your visa sticker, if you have one), and
your Confirmation of Permanent Residence, permanent resident visa, Certificat de sélection du Québec (CSQ), letter of introduction or any instructions from the Canadian visa office, and
your proof of legal status in Canada, such as a valid work permit, study permit, temporary resident permit, or visitor document, or any immigration document you have (whether valid or not), or
proof of implied status (if you applied to extend your stay before it ended). Proof of this status may include:
payment receipt,
copy of your application to extend your stay,
printout of online application, or
proof of mailing.
Note: You must leave Canada, enter another country and re-enter Canada to become a permanent resident at an international airport or Canadian land border. If you need a visa to enter another country before you re-enter Canada, it is up to you to get the visa.

You will do these procedures at the first place you arrive in Canada. If you are travelling by air, make sure you have time before any connecting flight or other travel.
There is no office close to us, and it seems like it is our best option to leave Canada to the US and re-enter. However, I am concerned that the document says, "NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL"

Is this the correct process, will we be able to leave Canada to the US and re-enter and that will validate the PR? At that point I assume they issue the proper PR card which will be delivered to our home address in Canada? Then we're done?

Also we do not require a visa, so really the only thing we have are our passports. Is that that all that is required, passports + CoPR?

TANMEX

Dec 14, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Celcius said:
I am sure this question has been asked before, but I haven't been able to find the answer in my search. Apologies in advance.

On this page here http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=748&top=22 It says the following:

There is no office close to us, and it seems like it is our best option to leave Canada to the US and re-enter. However, I am concerned that the document says, "NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL"

Is this the correct process, will we be able to leave Canada to the US and re-enter and that will validate the PR? At that point I assume they issue the proper PR card which will be delivered to our home address in Canada? Then we're done?

Also we do not require a visa, so really the only thing we have are our passports. Is that that all that is required, passports + CoPR?
Hi ,
the CPR is not a travel document and you can't use it to travel , you will be giving a PR card to use to re-enter Canada .
as a citizen of a visa exempt country all you need is your passport to travel and your CPR to confirm your permanent residency at the first Canadian port of entry .

So Yes ,CPR and Passport .

Reactions: dg88912

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Celcius said:

All it means is that the COPR can't be used in place of a valid travel document, i.e. a passport.

Reactions: Preenamit

Celcius

Jun 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-06-2015
AOR Received.
23-07-2015
canuck_in_uk said:
All it means is that the COPR can't be used in place of a valid travel document, i.e. a passport.
Ah I see. So we can travel to the US and re-enter Canada to have her PR validated using the CoPR and passport. At which point we will gain entry back to Canada and it will start the process of getting her official PR card?

Stuntxd9

May 4, 2015
Visa Office......
KNGVO
App. Filed.......
April 2016
LANDED..........
Feb 2017
Celcius said:
Ah I see. So we can travel to the US and re-enter Canada to have her PR validated using the CoPR and passport. At which point we will gain entry back to Canada and it will start the process of getting her official PR card?
precisely!

Nov 17, 2017
Hey guys. I'm with the same problem. I received a letter scheduling my final interview, when I'll receive the confirmation of permanent residency. The problem is that I am travelling abroad right after that and I heard that I can't leave the country until I receive the PR card, exactly because is written in the letter "not valid for travel". My friend showed his letter and told me that I can't travel. Is that true? I appreciate any help.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Hey guys. I'm with the same problem. I received a letter scheduling my final interview, when I'll receive the confirmation of permanent residency. The problem is that I am travelling abroad right after that and I heard that I can't leave the country until I receive the PR card, exactly because is written in the letter "not valid for travel". My friend showed his letter and told me that I can't travel. Is that true? I appreciate any help.
Don't really get what you are saying. The sequence of events is:

1. Get approved for PR, then a few days / couple of weeks later received CoPR
2. Officially 'land' in Canada (next day following receipt of CoPR of you like) and use CoPR to declare Permanent Residence. If you have a Canadian address, they will start the process for your PR card
3. Received PR Card (2 - 4 months after declaring PR)

Once you get your CoPR, yo can still leave the country and return, it is up to you to decide when to 'declare PR' using your CoPR as long as this is done before it expires.

Once you have landed and declared PR, then yes, you are in a bind until you get your PR Card. You cannot fly back to Canada without either a PR Card or a PR Travel Document (pain in the b*m to apply for and get). BUT you could still drive across the US land border and fly out from and back to the US and drive back through to Canada.

As others have said the 'not valid for travel' on the CoPR is an idiotic phrase as all they are saying is 'hey - you will still need a passport'!

nv2012

Jul 24, 2018
I need to go to the states on an emergency! I have my Confirmation of Permanent Residency however my pr card hasn’t come in yet. I’m a uk citizen so I am visa exempt. Will my CoPR, passport, and additional documents be enough to come back into Canada? I leave tonight and will come back on Wednesday! Can some one get back to me asap please

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
I need to go to the states on an emergency! I have my Confirmation of Permanent Residency however my pr card hasn’t come in yet. I’m a uk citizen so I am visa exempt. Will my CoPR, passport, and additional documents be enough to come back into Canada? I leave tonight and will come back on Wednesday! Can some one get back to me asap please
Coming back via land border would be fine with COPR and passport but cannot fly back without a PR card or PRTD.

Reactions: Buletruck

nv2012

Jul 24, 2018
Coming back via land border would be fine with COPR and passport but cannot fly back without a PR card or PRTD.
Thank you so much! I will be travelling back with Megabus by land! So should be good! It’s a similar concept to having a work visa right?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thank you so much! I will be travelling back with Megabus by land! So should be good! It’s a similar concept to having a work visa right?
It depends on Megabus.. I know that you can come back via private car. Not 100% sure about crossing the border with COPR on a bus.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
By the way, being 'visa-exempt' is completely irrelevant once you become a Permanent Resident. It gives you no advantage for travelling back to Canada.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
OK but then what is your take on this?
Strictly speaking, you require a PR card or a PRTD in order to travel via commercial transport to Canada, regardless of the mode of transportation.
However, airlines are extremely strict on this because they are subject to fines and removal costs. Land transport may be less strict, as they don't have to take you back to where you came from. They can just dump you at the border if you are not allowed to enter. Private transportation is of course the least strict of all ;)

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
https://ca.megabus.com/help/travelling-on-the-bus

My trip involves crossing the Canadian/US border – does it require my passport?

Persons travelling across the U.S./Canadian border should research information on documents needed to cross the border from the relevant U.S. and Canadian government agencies; as such requirements are subject to change. A valid passport is required for citizens of any nation, including citizens of the United States and Canada, to cross the border in either direction between the United States and Canada. Passengers are advised to consult with their government if they seek to cross the border without a valid passport. For U.S. Government information, passengers should consult with U.S. Customs and Border Protection at www.cbp.gov. For Canadian Government information, passengers should consult with Citizenship and Immigration Canada at www.cic.gc.ca.

A guardian travelling with children must provide proof of custody or notarized parental authorization for travel. An adult accompanying a child who is neither a parent nor guardian of the child should have written permission from a parent or guardian to accompany the child across the border, including the name and contact information of the parent or guardian.

What should I know about crossing the border?
Let’s give the border guards a break and make their jobs easy. Know that all luggage is subject to inspection when crossing international borders.

You will be asked to declare any items subject to duty upon crossing the border.

Passengers must claim their luggage at the border crossing point for clearance through customs before being allowed to proceed across the border. No luggage is allowed across the border unless claimed by a passenger.

No mention of checking visas or resident documentation.